More threads by mikepetersonwi

Reaction score
I have two clients where Client A is buying Client B and both will be operating under Client A's name in Client A's location. My question is what to do with Client B's GMB listing and other citations. I don't see updating citations/directories with Client A's information as it would cause duplicate records, the same goes for GMB. What is considered a best practice to help redirect Client B's customers to Client B's new home?

Hey Mike,

Google would want you to mark the old listing as closed but if the book of business is being moved to the new business that would not be an ideal situation. Especially when they look up the old business and see the big red closed banner.

I would contact GMB support and ask them if they can mark the old listing as "moved" to the new listing. That way when people search the old business they would be redirected to the new GMB.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Any thoughts regarding all other citation/directory listings? Update the primary data providers only? Them along with other prominent ones?

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the old citations. They list a completely different NAP correct? So they're not going to lead to any NAP inconsistency issues.

If you have access to the old citations I'd suggest editing them to indicate that the business has moved and list the new details in the business description etc.

If that's not an option I'd reach out to the various directories and ask them if they're able to remove them but likely most of them will only give you the option to close them.

If you have access to the old citations I'd suggest editing them to indicate that the business has moved and list the new details in the business description etc.

Been in the same situation before and this is exactly what I did for my client.
Edit all the citations that we have logins and announce that we have moved (as a different business). He thought that potential clients that will have an interest in the dissolve business might opt for a competitor, so why not drive them to his own.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom