Reaction score
I have two clients where Client A is buying Client B and both will be operating under Client A's name in Client A's location. My question is what to do with Client B's GMB listing and other citations. I don't see updating citations/directories with Client A's information as it would cause duplicate records, the same goes for GMB. What is considered a best practice to help redirect Client B's customers to Client B's new home?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Google would want you to mark the old listing as closed but if the book of business is being moved to the new business that would not be an ideal situation. Especially when they look up the old business and see the big red closed banner.

I would contact GMB support and ask them if they can mark the old listing as "moved" to the new listing. That way when people search the old business they would be redirected to the new GMB.

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Any thoughts regarding all other citation/directory listings? Update the primary data providers only? Them along with other prominent ones?

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the old citations. They list a completely different NAP correct? So they're not going to lead to any NAP inconsistency issues.

If you have access to the old citations I'd suggest editing them to indicate that the business has moved and list the new details in the business description etc.

If that's not an option I'd reach out to the various directories and ask them if they're able to remove them but likely most of them will only give you the option to close them.

pauieee

Reaction score
If you have access to the old citations I'd suggest editing them to indicate that the business has moved and list the new details in the business description etc.

Been in the same situation before and this is exactly what I did for my client.
Edit all the citations that we have logins and announce that we have moved (as a different business). He thought that potential clients that will have an interest in the dissolve business might opt for a competitor, so why not drive them to his own.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
jimmydoubleu Google business not listed/found on Search/Map after merge Google Duplicates & Merges 6
E.Dieter Martin 1 service area business, 1 "office", 2 phones, 2 GMB listings. Merge without losing reviews? Service Area Businesses 1
P Correct procedure to merge GMB pages for same business following relocation Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Durandl Business listing merging issue Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Conor Treacy Acquiring Business - Merging GMB & Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 5
Ted J. Merging Two Business Listings to One Location on Yelp - Moving Reviews Across Listings Local Search 8
Larry Merge or remove a business? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
Vicky Trainor One Business, 2 Websites, 2 GMB Profiles - Should I merge Everything?? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
J Merging Solo Practitioner and Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 3
G Merging Google+ Brand Page with Google My Business Local Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
mschaler Client bought 2 new businesses merging into 1 Help & Support for Google Local 8
Travis Van Slooten How Do You Merge (or delete) a Duplicate Google My Business Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
K Is this a merged Google Business page? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Tyson Downs Merging Google + Brand Page with Google My Business Page Google My Business & Google Maps 2
C Google+ Business Page Merged w/ Map Listing...How? Help & Support for Google Local 17
B Merging Businesses into One Address Local Search 10
Travis Van Slooten Can This Type of Business Merge Their Google+ Biz Page with G+ Local Page? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
C Google+ Local and Google+ Business Page Not Merged Help & Support for Google Local 10
MattCheah Seeing New Dashboard Listings merged with Google+ Business Pages - Anyone else? Google My Business & Google Maps 19
shondarogers Business Address Was Hidden in Places But is now merged and address is showing - Google My Business & Google Maps 6
danrippon Are Business Pages (finally) being merged to SAB +Local pages? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Marie Ysais Deleted Google+ Merged Business Page Google My Business & Google Maps 6
C Re: Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business Help & Support for Google Local 7
Linda Buquet Don't Merge Google+ Local with G Business Pages Yet? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Should I verify Places dashboard even though Google+ business page is verified/merged Help & Support for Google Local 7
Mike Wilton Google+ Local Now Forcing G+ Business Merges? Google My Business & Google Maps 9
Brian Reynolds Re: Service Area Business w/ Hidden Address - G+ Business Page Merge Help & Support for Google Local 8
G Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business - Should Not Have Help & Support for Google Local 0
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Merged Hidden Address Service Area Business - Should Not Have Help & Support for Google Local 20
L Service Area Business w/ Hidden Address - IMPORTANT UPDATE G+ Business Page Merge Service Area Businesses 25
Linda Buquet Service Area Business w/ Hidden Address - IMPORTANT UPDATE G+ Business Page Merge Service Area Businesses 25
Linda Buquet Google+ Local MERGE or Wait? + Benefits of Verifying Google+ Business Page Google My Business & Google Maps 13
JoyHawkins Does Merging your G+ Local and Business Page Result in Increased Ranking Local Search 6
JoyHawkins Best Way to Tell if a G+ Business Page has been Merged with the G+ Local Page or Not Local Search 17
Linda Buquet List of Bugs and Problems after Google+ Local Merge with G+ Business Page Google My Business & Google Maps 0
m_j_gregory Merging Google+ Business Page and Google+ Local Listing (via separate accounts) Help & Support for Google Local 25
Linda Buquet Google+ Business Update - Pros and Cons of Merging Google Places Now Vs Waiting Local Search 4
seoprrocket Merging G+ business profile and a G+ local page Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Video - How to Merge your Google+ Local and G+ Business Pages - Detailed Instructions Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Linda Buquet Service Area Businesses with Hidden Address - Can't Merge Your G+ Business Page Yet Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet BREAKING! Google+ Business Merge with Google Place Pages Starts Now! Google My Business & Google Maps 42
Linda Buquet BREAKING! Google+ Business Merge with Google Place Pages Starts Now! Google My Business & Google Maps 0
pbarnhart Google Search Console Merging UTM'd URLs into Canonical URLs - Suggestions? Local SEO Tools & Software 5
H Merging a listing Organic SEO 7
J Gmb help please: 2 offices merged into 1 office Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S Department Listings Deleting/Merging Google Duplicates & Merges 5
P Convincing Google to merge listings Google Duplicates & Merges 2
kathleen.rhodes We are unable to get Google to merge 2 duplicate listings into the correct one Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Brittany Barkes Merging GMB Location With Bad Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 2
onebox220722 How to merge two lists into one list Google My Business & Google Maps 1