More threads by TriciaClements

Reaction score
A GBP is getting lots of edits to their phone number:
  • Suggested Edits are being made & accepted by Google to a profile phone number every few days
  • This is the 3rd or 4th time it’s happened
  • We’re assuming it’s coming from a competitor
  • The number it is being changed to isn’t the same each time and is disconnected when they call to see where the calls are being routed to (I was expecting it to go to a competitor)
  • When the number was corrected the first time, the profile had to be re-verified, now when changed, it goes into “edits pending” for about 15 minutes to 4 hours before updating (this to me is normal)
  • The business wasn’t monitoring their profile to reject suggested edits, but will be now.
  • They're in the process of moving and will work on citations when the move is complete.

Other than being diligent in monitoring suggested edits in the profile, because of the frequency, is there anything else that can be done to stop this?

Thank you!!

Solution
That is super weird. You might be able to request support "lock" the number but I am not sure if they can but they should be able to help determine why these edits keep getting accepted.

I would try to search for 'business name + wrong number' and see if there are any site's out there with the wrong info Google is pulling from. Also look over the whole website for incorrect numbers.

Also, check for any 3rd part listings that may have access to edit the profile. You can check if you have authorized any here, when signed into the account that has access to the listing.
That is super weird. You might be able to request support "lock" the number but I am not sure if they can but they should be able to help determine why these edits keep getting accepted.

I would try to search for 'business name + wrong number' and see if there are any site's out there with the wrong info Google is pulling from. Also look over the whole website for incorrect numbers.

Also, check for any 3rd part listings that may have access to edit the profile. You can check if you have authorized any here, when signed into the account that has access to the listing.

Solution
Thank you so much @ElizabethRule Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I was traveling and this was on the back burner while watching to make sure no other changes were happening.

I'm having them check these two items you recommended and if it happens again, we will reach out to support and ask for it to be locked and see what they say.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom