Jim Froling

Reaction score

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Jim. That looks like a good one!

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Are they sure this was a Penguin penalty? Penguins penalties are filters, they penalize and remove penalties on the filter refresh.

They submitted a manual review and the penalty was removed. That seems to indicate it was a manual penalty?

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
From the article referenced in the thread starter:

Electric Fireplaces Canada (EFC) was burning along just fine in the SEO stratosphere with five of its keywords averaging top 10 positions in Google search results. But in the fall of 2012, a certain panda and penguin extinguished the site's success.

Google's Penguin and Panda algorithm updates served EFC with a manual penalty for links the search engine powerhouse deemed unnatural. The punishment sunk the site to an average position of 48, traumatizing its once pristine SEO status. EFC was formerly popping up on page one of search results, it was now lingering closer to page five.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
You cannot have a manual penalty from an automatic filter.

The article is putting forth conflicting details.

Penalties such as Penguin and Panda are not a manual penalty. They are wide sweeping, affecting all sites in Google's index.

A manual penalty is where a Google search quality rep reviews your individual website and slaps a specific, manual penalty on you.

Reconsideration requests are for manual penalties. For Penguin and Panda, you have to wait until they refresh the filter.

It has long been status quo for the SEO community that you cannot get a Penguin or Panda penalty removed via a manual request. It has been tried many times.

I was wondering if these people are actually saying they tried this and succeeded where hundreds of others have failed. If so, that is knowledge I would like to know :)

However, since they're confusing Penguin and Panda with a manual penalty, I don't know if they truly know what to call it.

It seems it was a manual penalty, which would make it unrelated to Penguin or Panda.

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You cannot have a manual penalty from an automatic filter.

The article is putting forth conflicting details, which is why I asked the question.

Penalties such as Penguin and Panda are not a manual penalty. They are wide sweeping, affecting all sites in Google's index.

A manual penalty is where a Google search quality rep reviews your individual website and slaps a specific, manual penalty on you.

Reconsideration requests are for manual penalties. For Penguin and Panda, you have to wait until they refresh the filter.

Correct. My point was that the original article mentions both and that may well be what happened, i.e., they were hit both by algorithmic drops from Panda and/or Penguin PLUS a manual penalty for buying or selling links.

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
If that was the case then when their penalty lifted, they would still have been under a Penguin or Panda penalty as well until the filter refresh.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Marie Haynes Have you seen any local rankings that you feel were affected by Penguin 4.0? Local Search 8
Chris_Gregory Penguin 4.0 Information + Observations Local Search 1
H Penguin related question Organic SEO 1
JoyHawkins Penguin 4.0 is Finally Here Organic SEO 1
J Is Penguin Update here ? My Penguin hit site moved from page 6 to 3 Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 73 SEO Experts Share Penguin Penalty Removal Tips Organic SEO 3
Marie Haynes Penguin still likely weeks away.... Organic SEO 2
C Bannned Re: Rolling Penguin Update Recycle Bin 2
JoyHawkins Can You Rank in the 3-Pack with a Manual or Penguin Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
warrenpd Rolling Penguin Update Local Search 4
mborgelt Google Finally Coming Out with Panda and Penguin News Organic SEO 5
Dustybones The Google Mobile Algorithm to be Bigger than Penguin or Panda Mobile & Social 21
Linda Buquet Guide to Penguin and the Disavow Tool for Local Search Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Ranking #1 in the Local 7 Pack - Even Though Panda or Penguin Penalty? Local Search 17
Linda Buquet Google Confirms Penguin Update Hit Friday 10/17/14 - 1st Update In Over A Year Organic SEO 10
Linda Buquet Google Pigeon Forgives Penguin Penalties??? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
A Re: Google Penguin 2.1 Released Recycle Bin 0
Chris_Gregory Looking for local examples of SMB's with a Penguin Penalty Organic SEO 1
T Google Penguin 2.1 Released Organic SEO 9
djbaxter So are GWT Backlink reports enough to lift Penalty or get out of Penguin? via @Marie_ Organic SEO 0
djbaxter New Free Google Backlink Checker Tool for Penguin & Disavow Analysis Organic SEO 1
djbaxter Google Penguin 2.0 Goes Deep - But What Does That Mean? Organic SEO 0
J Penguin effect on Local? A quick story. Local Search 16
Chaddow Account Recovery Process Google My Business & Google Maps 1
LaurenHoward Google Analytics Recovery Form Broken? Local SEO Tools & Software 5
djbaxter Accidental Site De-Index from Google and Long Road to Recovery: Moz Case Study Organic SEO 0
Dustybones Google Hangout: Prevention and Recovery of a Hacked Site Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Colan Nielsen Yahoo E-mail Mobile Recovery Number Required Local Search 1
djbaxter Google provides videos and articles for hacked site recovery Organic SEO 1
Kayla Adam What Strategy Should Been Used for My Wellness Clinic Local Search 5
Ben Walsh 2 location business onpage strategy, homepage vs service pages vs location pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
H Multi-Location Content Strategy Google Local 101 6
mhuber Is this geotagging strategy correct? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
SteinCoffee How to design content strategy to avoid filtering? Organic SEO 1
Ted J. Backlink Strategy for Brick and Mortar Gift Shop Local Search 19
David Wu Strategies to expand geographic coverage of my Google local search (3 pack) Local Search 29
Garrett Sussman 3 New Local Marketing Strategies That Agencies Can Use for Clients Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Agency Strategy: Providing Managed vs. Self-Service Marketing Solutions Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman 3 Strategies For Prospecting Online Review Management Clients Local Reviews 2
CharlotteSEOExpert On-Page Local SEO Strategy for Quicker Rankings Local Search 0
Adam Potaznik Strategy: Where is the money to be made in 2018? Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman Location Marketing: Catchy Buzzword or Essential Marketing Strategy? Local Reviews 2
Garrett Sussman Mapping the Local Online Review Strategy That Every B2B Needs Local Reviews 9
vivekrpatel Marketing Strategy for Local Business Local Search 2
Garrett Sussman Local Search vs. Universal Search: Are You Choosing the Wrong Strategy? Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman 5 Local Marketing Strategies for Non-Local Businesses Local Reviews 0
Garrett Sussman 6 Sites to Target: What's Your Agency's Online Review Strategy? Local Reviews 2
R Citation Strategy For When One Company Buys another Business? Citations 10
Tim Sweeney Retirement Strategies For Businesses With Established Local Search Presence Consultant's Corner 0
Garrett Sussman 5 Tips to Strengthen Your Reputation Management Strategy and Boost Your SEO Local Reviews 0