HoosierBuff

Reaction score
I have a client that is an advertising agency. Long before they called me, they used a few different SEO agencies. One of the agencies built a bunch of crap links, and the next agency said "your site is penalized", and you need to move to a new url.

So, they rebuilt the site at the new URL, and reduced the old site to the home page saying we've moved, with no redirect or link to home page. I think it meta-refreshes?

anyway. . .

It was never clear that they had a penalty in the first place. There was never a huge tanking in the results, and while the profile was a bit spammy, and I have seen far worse. There was no notice of manual action.

So,

With the latest news about Penguin, and that we don't need to disavow anymore, is it time to redirect the old site?

Google Penguin doesn't penalize for bad links - or does it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Marie Haynes Have you seen any local rankings that you feel were affected by Penguin 4.0? Local Search 8
Chris_Gregory Penguin 4.0 Information + Observations Local Search 1
JoyHawkins Penguin 4.0 is Finally Here Organic SEO 1
J Is Penguin Update here ? My Penguin hit site moved from page 6 to 3 Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 73 SEO Experts Share Penguin Penalty Removal Tips Organic SEO 3
Marie Haynes Penguin still likely weeks away.... Organic SEO 2
C Bannned Re: Rolling Penguin Update Recycle Bin 2
JoyHawkins Can You Rank in the 3-Pack with a Manual or Penguin Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
warrenpd Rolling Penguin Update Local Search 4
mborgelt Google Finally Coming Out with Panda and Penguin News Organic SEO 5
Dustybones The Google Mobile Algorithm to be Bigger than Penguin or Panda Mobile & Social 21
Linda Buquet Guide to Penguin and the Disavow Tool for Local Search Local Search 4
Linda Buquet Ranking #1 in the Local 7 Pack - Even Though Panda or Penguin Penalty? Local Search 17
Linda Buquet Google Confirms Penguin Update Hit Friday 10/17/14 - 1st Update In Over A Year Organic SEO 10
Linda Buquet Google Pigeon Forgives Penguin Penalties??? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
A Re: Google Penguin 2.1 Released Recycle Bin 0
Chris_Gregory Looking for local examples of SMB's with a Penguin Penalty Organic SEO 1
Jim Froling Penguin Recovery Strategy Organic SEO 6
T Google Penguin 2.1 Released Organic SEO 9
djbaxter So are GWT Backlink reports enough to lift Penalty or get out of Penguin? via @Marie_ Organic SEO 0
djbaxter New Free Google Backlink Checker Tool for Penguin & Disavow Analysis Organic SEO 1
djbaxter Google Penguin 2.0 Goes Deep - But What Does That Mean? Organic SEO 0
J Penguin effect on Local? A quick story. Local Search 16
I Is there an uptick in keyword planner data being excluded for healthcare related terms? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
J Related Searches Images Change Local Search 0
LocalSEOLondon 100% Owner Controlled Attributes Relative GMB Ranking Factor Opinion poll (April 2020) Google Algorithm Discussions 5
Ellen How Should We Be Updating GMB Hours Related to COVID-19? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
RFKSolutions Mass GMB Suspensions relating to Google Manager Access? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Ellen GMB Dashboard Data Highly Inflated -- Related to Barry Schwartz Inflated Impressions Article NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Zhivko "Related Searches" in image search Organic SEO 1
Dan Foland Google Starts Showing Local Results for Some Sex-Related Legal Queries (Again) Local Search 10
djbaxter Urgent! Serious Security Threat Found in WordPress Plugin Yuzo Related Posts Websites, Software, and Security 1
J Software Development Companies - Google Doesn't Treat Related Searches as Local Local Search 4
JoyHawkins Anyone Else Noticing Local Results Vanish for Sex-Related Legal Queries? Local Search 17
B 2 Related Businesses At One Location Google My Business & Google Maps 4
K How to have Related Google+ Page show up in Gmail sidebar instead of Profile Google My Business & Google Maps 4
N How do you get locally related links? Organic SEO 5
David Deering New Google SERPS feature related to Google+ Business pages Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet Google Starts Showing LOCAL Results for "Local SEO" Related Searches Local Search 5
Travis Van Slooten Is This A New Feature on Google for Definition Related Searches? Local Search 3
Jo Shaer Not really Places related but hope someone can help Local Search 1
M Some questions with GMB and multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 1
iwebresults Advance Verification Stalled Question Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
haileym "Scroll to bottom to confirm" message showing up while waiting for postcard - Verification Question Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Greg Bernhardt User asked a question... Q&A area does not exist in brand panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Jeffrey Healthcare Specific Question Local Search 4
FriarTuck00 Question Regarding GMB Listings and Phone Numbers Multi-Location Issues 3
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
accessted Local Falcon GMB Question Service Area Businesses 2
annatindal GMB Customer Uploaded Photos Question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2