Jason_Parks1

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of plumbing companies list their Google My Business hours as 24/7. They technically have customer support answering the phones 24/7 The same holds true for personal injury lawyers. Yet their actual office is open 9 AM - 5 PM.

According to Google, it states the following for hours: "Provide your regular customer-facing hours of operation."

This seems like a bit of grey area as to whether a business is allowed to put 24/7 for their hours. I'm assuming if the plumbing company would send someone out to a job at 3 AM, this would constitute as 24/7.

If customer support is offered 24/7, is this considered "Customer Facing?"

I'd like to get some feedback/best practices on this. Thanks!

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@Jason_Parks1, it's a real gray area. As usual, it's a gray area Google seems to have established intentionally, so that the bots can do their thing most of the time, while leaving GMB support and other humans enough space for "know it when we see it" judgments.

I've found that Google is very unlikely to overwrite (auto-update) a business's hours, especially if the hours don't conflict with those listed on the site. Your specifying 24/7 hours on GMB is more likely to stick if your website says the same thing, or if you don't specify your hours on the site at all. Though Google's had an extra-itchy update finger since the start of COVID, and has auto-updated other fields more than before, I haven't noticed a greater tendency to mess with businesses' hours in the GMB dashboard.

Google seems to have a much harder time confirming a business's hours than a business's more-bolted-down info (like address or phone), mainly because businesses can and do change their hours all the time, and without warning.

My definition of "24/7 customer-facing" is: if a customer calls at 3am, will he or she get a callback soon (rather than after 9am)?

Not that that matters much. Unless customers or competitors submit "suggest an edit" updates in Google Maps, you can pretty much specify the hours you want. For better or for worse.

PKLilikoi

Solutions
Reaction score
@Jason_Parks1, it's a real gray area. As usual, it's a gray area Google seems to have established intentionally, so that the bots can do their thing most of the time, while leaving GMB support and other humans enough space for "know it when we see it" judgments.

I've found that Google is very unlikely to overwrite (auto-update) a business's hours, especially if the hours don't conflict with those listed on the site. Your specifying 24/7 hours on GMB is more likely to stick if your website says the same thing, or if you don't specify your hours on the site at all. Though Google's had an extra-itchy update finger since the start of COVID, and has auto-updated other fields more than before, I haven't noticed a greater tendency to mess with businesses' hours in the GMB dashboard.

Google seems to have a much harder time confirming a business's hours than a business's more-bolted-down info (like address or phone), mainly because businesses can and do change their hours all the time, and without warning.

My definition of "24/7 customer-facing" is: if a customer calls at 3am, will he or she get a callback soon (rather than after 9am)?

Not that that matters much. Unless customers or competitors submit "suggest an edit" updates in Google Maps, you can pretty much specify the hours you want. For better or for worse.
On point! Couldn't have said it any better.

Lanerizz

Reaction score
Jason thanks for posting this, have this exact same scenario and we're going to move to 24/7 hours. In the world we live in now Customer-Facing has a new meaning doesn't it!

Looking at the new More Hours options Google has provided, this may be a nice way to work around this.

Does anyone know what Access is? Would that mean Access to the building? 2020-10-09_07-52-33

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Some questions with GMB and multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 1
iwebresults Advance Verification Stalled Question Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
haileym "Scroll to bottom to confirm" message showing up while waiting for postcard - Verification Question Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Greg Bernhardt User asked a question... Q&A area does not exist in brand panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Jeffrey Healthcare Specific Question Local Search 4
FriarTuck00 Question Regarding GMB Listings and Phone Numbers Multi-Location Issues 3
D Google Spam Fighting Question Google My Business & Google Maps 6
accessted Local Falcon GMB Question Service Area Businesses 2
annatindal GMB Customer Uploaded Photos Question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
D Shortcut URL to "Ask a Question" Button Google My Business & Google Maps 6
dave101 Question about Content Writing Organic SEO 4
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
Imperialpest GMB Q&A section question All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
ryannbull We have added a question to our client's Google My Business Q&A section and it keeps disappearing. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Help & Support for Google Local 4
N My Business in Multiple Locations leaving me with 3 unanswered questions Multi-Location Issues 2
B GMB Multiple Questions Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter NEW New feature: You can now bump a thread if no one has replied to your question How To Guides 1
Mmclean07 Pricing question Consultant's Corner 3
ForwardMotion Multiple Practitioners at One Office Location Questions Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter NEW How to create a new question and answer thread How To Guides 4
djbaxter Converting some threads to Question and Answer threads Admin Stuff 3
Creativedge Question on duplicate content and search ranking for dentists Local Search 13
Ben Walsh Am I asking questions in the right place ? Contact Us Messages 1
raellovepie Question about Article: Your Google My Business Profile Image – The Most Important Image? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Adam C. Google Ads Question General Local SEO Discussions [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
djbaxter Questions about LocalU Upgrades and Subscriptions? LocalU Technical Information and Help 0
S Question & Answers Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H Quick questions about citations (newbie here) Citations 2
Valentin UULE question Local SEO Tools & Software 2
D Questions & Answers - Knowledge Panel (Not Showing) Help & Support for Google Local 5
Jeffrey Taylor Product Carousel Category Buttons Question Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Shelly Vacation Rentals Reviews Question Local Reviews 3
Lanerizz Google My Business Support Request Question Moving or Name Changes 1
B SERP Question Local Search 2
Stephanie Mahnken To Display a SAB's Address or Not Display....THAT is the Question! Service Area Businesses 12
V Question: Bring something to foreign citations Help & Support for Google Local 2
CoRichardson Question & Concern Regarding Article About Stay Verified Emails Help & Support for Google Local 9
J Multiple-Location SEO Questions Local Search 4
C Spam fighting questions Google My Business & Google Maps 15
MKubot Ranking Question Follow Up Ranking Puzzles 1
pconnole Google My Business eligibility question (Hospitality Industry) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
V Google My Business script using GMB API - auto replies, question notifications, post scheduling Local SEO Tools & Software 0
freerunr Share Location Group ID? (GMB Agency account question) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Theo1313 Questions Vanishing Help & Support for Google Local 1
Niki Gross Responding to Questions & Answers Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Lanerizz Opening Soon Feature Question NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
AndySimpson GMB Posts - Regular or Event Post Dilemma Question Google My Business & Google Maps 3
S SAB question NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 7
Shelly Report Duplicate Questions in Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoshuaMackens Schema Reviews Markup Question Local Search 15