More threads by ServicePros

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping someone will know the answer to this:

Is it possible to rank locally without a physical location? In other words, I might be starting up another service business but I cannot use my home address as it's already being used for my current business.

So in short, can a local business still rank without a physical address?

Thanks!

In order to create a G+ Local page you need to be able to enter the physical address where your business is located.

What service does your current business provide?

What is the new one?

Technically, if they are two legally separate businesses you can have more than one at the same address. However, this can lead to major issues with merging and other issues.

Hi Colan,

Thanks for replying.

I have a carpet cleaning business now.

However, I am branching off into commercial cleaning - namely janitorial. I have a separate dba, phone, domain, etc. for the commercial cleaning business.

Last edited:
ServicePros, this question is closely related to the 2 other threads you started and I think the question would have been better asked in one of those.

That way those investing time to help you could see all the background info that was already discussed. In fact I almost feel I should merge them all together so we don't have folks taking time to reply to one aspect of the issue, when someone else already helped you with it in another thread.

Here are the 2 other related threads if anyone wants more background.

Another Multiple Business Thread....

Should I Do The Splits?

So I think above based on the limited info you gave - Colan thinks you are talking about setting up a 2nd Place page.

BUT based on those other threads - I believe NOW in this one you are asking abut a straight web site in organic? Can it rank without address? Is that correct?

Please specify exactly what you mean? New Google listing or just new website with no G+ L page.

Hi Linda,

I apologize for starting another thread. Didn't mean to confuse or waste anyone's time.

The issue is that I have a website now with a G+ listing using my home address. I want to create another website to focus on a new business. I have separate dba, phone and domain for this venture.

As far as I know the new business cannot use the same physical address that I am using for my current business.

So my question is can the website for the new business still rank highly in the search results? Since I don't have have a physical address for directories, data sites like InfoUSA, etc. it seems like it will be a difficult task.

Thanks

ServicePros, this question is closely related to the 2 other threads you started and I think the question would have been better asked in one of those.

That way those investing time to help you could see all the background info that was already discussed. In fact I almost feel I should merge them all together so we don't have folks taking time to reply to one aspect of the issue, when someone else already helped you with it in another thread.

Here are the 2 other related threads if anyone wants more background.

Another Multiple Business Thread....

Should I Do The Splits?

So I think above based on the limited info you gave - Colan thinks you are talking about setting up a 2nd Place page.

BUT based on those other threads - I believe NOW in this one you are asking abut a straight web site in organic? Can it rank without address? Is that correct?

Please specify exactly what you mean? New Google listing or just new website with no G+ L page.

Nope does not matter if you use the same address on the site. It's mainly having 2 Place pages at same address that's the problem.

Got it. This makes sense and I was not planning on creating a Places/G+ for the new business.

But, if I submit the business info to all the various business directories, etc. using the same address isn't there a chance that Google would create a Place page anyway?

Nope does not matter if you use the same address on the site. It's mainly having 2 Place pages at same address that's the problem.

You asked about address for new business, you didn't say where. I assumed you meant on the site.

If you are not doing a Place page you don't really need to build citations. You'd just be doing pure organic. Don't need to work on getting NAP everywhere since no Place page for this one.

Got it.

I had always assumed that you wanted as many citations as possible including directory citations.

Also, my other thought was that Google seems to put great emphasis on knowing so much about a local business (Places, Maps, etc.) that not having your business address listed on directories, etc. would hurt your chances of ranking - even with just organic.

You asked about address for new business, you didn't say where. I assumed you meant on the site.

If you are not doing a Place page you don't really need to build citations. You'd just be doing pure organic. Don't need to work on getting NAP everywhere since no Place page for this one.

Citations are going to be for your local ranking. Your Google+ Local page (G+L) is the vehicle used for your local ranking. If you don't have one, you don't have a local ranking.

I would still build citations though. It gets links back to your site.

I have two different clients in the same situation with two different outcomes.

One was a salon and chiropractor. They are in the same complex but we used the same address, without their suite numbers. They are fine.

The other is the owner of both a roofing and painting company. We used his house address for both but the only one that shows up in ranking locally is the painting company. Both companies have a G+L page, but only the painting company ranks. The roofing company doesn't show up at all. But it may not be because of being at the same address. One issue is the names are very similar. We have different phones numbers but with a similar address and name, you never know. Also, the roofing G+L was set up about a month before the painting. The roofing page never ranked then but the painting company page ranked almost immediately. I did something in the setup that I feel like might have messed it up but there's no way for me to tell.

Anyways, long story short. The roofing page, 5 months later, still isn't ranking.

I would at least try it, you have nothing to lose.

Also, if anyone wants to take a look at my roofer/painter situation, message me and I'd be happy for you to check it out :) fresh perspective is always good.

Your Google+ Local page (G+L) is the vehicle used for your local ranking. If you don't have one, you don't have a local ranking.

Thanks for your insights Joshua!

Actually though can totally rank with no G+ L in pure organic. People do it all the time.

Search for city 1 dentist then city 2 dentist in different part of the country. You'll see local dentists in each city that are not in the pack. It's still a local ranking.

Also for service area business can't have 2 listings at same address. Especially if in similar industries (like construction). Once caught Google will either merge them or suppress one of them or suspend them both.

Actually though can totally rank with no G+ L in pure organic. People do it all the time.

Right. I use "local ranking" as a synonymous term with "local algo". "Organic ranking" with "organic algo" etc :)

If you don't have a G+L page, you're not going to rank in the local algo was the point I was trying to make.

Got it.

I had always assumed that you wanted as many citations as possible including directory citations.

Right: you do want as many citations as possible. It's just a question of to what extent would you also like your address to appear / not appear on those sites.

Yes, I've noticed this as well.

But, lately I've seen less and less local sites and more directory listings like Yelp and Yahoo appearing outside of the pack.

My fear is that Google will eventually eschew local sites altogether that don't have a publicly displayed address and/or G+ local listing.

PS -

I'm not pretending to know what I am talking about (I don't). Just sharing a pedestrian observation for whatever it's worth.

Thanks for your insights Joshua!

Search for city 1 dentist then city 2 dentist in different part of the country. You'll see local dentists in each city that are not in the pack. It's still a local ranking.

Also for service area business can't have 2 listings at same address. Especially if in similar industries (like construction). Once caught Google will either merge them or suppress one of them or suspend them both.

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom