cliclocal

Reaction score
Hi

My question pertains to a google places account.
Currently this particular client ranks on Spot G in google maps (Page One)
That being said, if We were to replace the existing domain within the google places account, with a brand new domain with no authority, would that cause them to drop of their existing maps ranking or would it have any impact at all?
Has anyone ever tried something similar?

Thanks!:)

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hard to say, too many variables.

But if they had some bad links on the old domain or some spammy content a new domain could actually help. In pure organic though, usually a new domain will drop you for a bit before you can bubble back up to the top.

However in the old blended algo prior to Oct 2013 the bottom of the pack was not really tied to organic strength much at all. So it was more the maps ago at the bottom of the pack. With this newer algo... seems to keep changing every SERP I look at so have not totally nailed it down yet.

Broland

Reaction score
Yes, you will drop... likely like an anchor in the sea. There are a few variables that come into play. You are saying a brand new site with little to no links? The organic ranking of the site "tied" to your Google listing is a big part of the local rankings. That's going to involve all on-site factors too. If you were to correctly 301 an old site to a new one you can minimize the loss in rankings some, but even then there are other factors of branding, trust, etc that come into play.

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
It's almost certain that your ranking will change. As Linda alluded to, whether it's a positive change or a negative change depends on some of the variables.

We work with many clients who have multiple domains and we have done a lot of testing, and I can say that changing the domain associated with the G+ Local page almost always has an impact.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Whitespark Introduces Yext Replacement Service Local Search 0
elwalker GMB Listings for Vacation Rentals Replaced by 'Hotel' Finder Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JustinB PPC Being Replaced with Call Google? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
C ABRASIVE Re: HEADS UP - Google Removing GMB Pages and Replacing with Maps Place Pages Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet New Google Local Display Layout - Being Tested? Replacing Carousel??? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Daniel C Berman Is Your Website Being Replaced with Google+ Local Listings? Local Search 3
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Google places business name replaced with title tag from website Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Greg Bernhardt User asked a question... Q&A area does not exist in brand panel Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Matt Chauhan Google Maps showing category that doesn't even exist Local Search 1
J New client with existing spam Moving or Name Changes 7
valentinb13 No support follow up on getting access to/ownership of existing listings Help & Support for Google Local 2
K I Need Guidance on How to Handle a Law Practice Buyout & Existing GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 1
K Law Practice Buyout and Existing Citations Citations 4
E BING - Claiming existing listings causes a DUPE? Citations 3
P Existing location is from another brand Google Duplicates & Merges 2
Noelle Leahy When to add a new location to the existing website and when to start a second website Google Local 101 7
Rich Owings How to tell if a Factual listing exists? Citations 4
Conor Treacy Report Business "Doesn't Exist" - does it work? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
L Which is easier to rank? Claim existing listing or create new listing? Ranking Puzzles 2
ganapathy How to Update New Business Address in Existing GMB listing Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Proper Way To Remove Address of Pre-existing Listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
marcusdb GMB duplicate marked as "Place Doesn't Exist" - can you recover the deleted listing? Google Duplicates & Merges 2
S SEO - New Cities - Build on existing page or new URL Organic SEO 9
WAHamilton Category that competitor is using doesn't exist...? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 23
N How to remove weird location that doesn't exist? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Conor Treacy GMB Comparison Tool (& Facebook too) - Does it exist any more? Local SEO Tools & Software 1
P Bulk Verification with existing unverified GMB listings Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Garrett Sussman 10 Amazon Review Features That Should Exist On Every Review Site Local Reviews 3
J Merging Existing GMB accounts/pages Google My Business & Google Maps 6
MiriamEllis Does Google 'My Places' Still Exist? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
R Claim Existing GMB listing vs Edit in Google Maps/Mapmaker, then claim? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
G Does Anyone Know If Something Like This Exists?... Local Search 4
Dustybones Local Directories See Drop - Opportunities Still Exist though Citations 1
F Relocated label still exist? Moving or Name Changes 3
freerunr Relocated label still exist? Moving or Name Changes 3
djbaxter Convert Existing HTML Site Design To A WordPress Theme In 10 Seconds Websites, Software, and Security 5
Scott Rawlins Update Existing Citations or Create New? Citations 8
K Duplicate listing. I see it, but Google says it doesn't exist. Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Lloyd Silver How To Handle National Business With Existing G+ Page That Also Markets Locally Google My Business & Google Maps 5
seoWest Category Does Not Exist Google My Business & Google Maps 6
L How to claim a pre existing listing and edit it Google My Business & Google Maps 1
T Google+ Local Bulk Upload Merge with already existing listings? Local Search 11
Linda Buquet New Google Dashboard Rolling out to Existing Places Accounts Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Marie Ysais How to move rankings up on older existing content, SEOMOZ whiteboard Friday. Local Search 0
WineCountryCarpetCleaning Are existing citations better than new ones? Citations 4
Chris McCreery Claim Existing Listing or Create New? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K Dentist bought existing practice - name and phone number change - questions Moving or Name Changes 5
KungFuBacklinks Dentist bought existing practice - name and phone number change - questions Moving or Name Changes 5
R Creating a G+ Business Page when a G+ Local Page Already Exists Google My Business & Google Maps 8
rich_marlatt Do the number of backlinks from a domain have any impact on local SEO? Local Search 2