Reaction score
Hi all,

Here's an idea for review diversification. This post was inspired by a comment from Joy, tweeted by Carrie Hill. "...stop regurgitating what you hear and start testing..." I haven't done the testing part but I haven't seen anyone write about this anywhere so I think it meets the "stop regurgitating" requirement. (This is where @JoyHawkins lets me know that it's in The Guide...)

There's value in understanding how I came across this idea: When I'm dealing with a new client in a new industry, and I need to find sites on which they should be collecting reviews, I look at their competitors. I search the competitor name, look at their knowledge panel and check out "Reviews from the web" to determine which review sites Google is looking at. This often reveals industry-specific and location-specific review sites.

I don't know that these review sites have an impact on rankings. However, based on the fact that Google shows them in the KP, I believe it's safe to state that Google sees those sites as being relevant to the industry and/or geography.

I noticed that if I searched <competitor name> or <competitor name>+<city> I would sometimes see different review sites in the KP. So, idea #1:

Search for <competitor name> and <competitor name>+<city> as well as <variations of competitor name> to uncover review sites that are relevant to an industry and/or geography in the KP.

Examples of variations: "Smith Law Firm" vs. "Smith Legal Firm". "Hotshot Coffee" vs. "Hotshot Cafe".

Which leads to idea #2: Search for <client name> and <client name>+<city> as well as <variations of client name> to uncover the review sites that Google sees as being relevant to your client.

Disclaimer: The company in the example below is NOT one of my clients.

Search for "Quantum Coffee" in Toronto and you'll find a strong rating of 4.5 / 5 from blogTO.
quantum-coffee.png

Note how the blogTO rating is 4.5 but the Google rating shown at the top of the KP is only 4.2.

Use a variant of their name, in this case, "Quantum Coffee Shop", and you'll find a weak Zomato rating of 3.4 / 5.
quantum coffee shop.png

If this was my client I would encourage them to work on building positive reviews on Zomato.

Untested but, I believe, logical. Thoughts? Ideas for testing?

Last edited:

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't know that these review sites have an impact on rankings. However, based on the fact that Google shows them in the KP, I believe it's safe to state that Google sees those sites as being relevant to the industry and/or geography.

Yep, I would say that's a good assumption. I almost always base how "important" a directory is on how high it ranks on Google and how much referral traffic I see from it in Google Analytics.

Search for <competitor name> and <competitor name>+<city> as well as <variations of competitor name> to uncover review sites that are relevant to an industry and/or geography in the KP.

We do this for clients as well. A couple years ago Mike Blumenthal shared a really cool example at LocalU Advanced where he was able to shift the ranking of a local result on Google based on text that was in Yelp reviews. Based on his test, I'd say it was conclusive that info in 3rd party reviews impacts ranking in the local results. It couldn't hurt to test this more though.

Reaction score
@JoyHawkins The Mike Blumenthal presentation you're describing sounds like what he presented at MozCon Local 2017. That was revelatory for me.

For those who haven't seen Mike's experiment that shows a relationship between the frequent appearance of a keyword in Yelp reviews & Google ranking, watch this: Are Words The New Links?

tedchan

Reaction score
We can trace a lot of traffic on our end to those cards. Providers where we're one of the featured sites have a lot more profile views (and click throughs to website or call).

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Don Archer Google business listing with 482 Real Review Missing. How do I get them back? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Nikki Stine Are negative Google reviews due to supply shortages considered 'off-topic'? Local Reviews 2
BekahBerry Managing one client with multiple listings and need to be alerted to reviews All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
JoyHawkins Reviews Not Publishing Local Reviews 10
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Custom Responses to Online Reviews Local Reviews 3
Barb Davids Review restriction for dentists in AU? Local Reviews 3
W Is it possible to remove reviews on GMB? Local Reviews 4
D Spam Fighting With Reviews Spam on Google 7
harmony How Does Google Choose Service Options in a Review? Local Reviews 6
abbiebeltran Google Reviews Now Have 'Service-Testimonial-Tags' at the Top Local Reviews 1
S Local Services Ads - Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
E Review Spammer Help & Support for Google Local 2
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
Greg Bernhardt Why some categories show review snippet and some don't? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
DangGood GMB showing 2 Review sections at Zero Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Oliver Keates BBC - "Man to pay £25,000 damages over negative TrustPilot review" Local Search 6
Steve Attarian Has anyone had luck removing a Review by a non customer that gave one star because she noticed that the staff didn't wear masks when she walked by? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
swmaher Competitor Buying Fake Reviews Local Reviews 1
LauraUK SAB's - can a client without a Gmail leave a SAB a review. Service Area Businesses 3
M Google rule for collecting reviews from a dedicated tablet inside a store ? Local Reviews 8
micromano Will changing a business name in GMB cause reviews to be lost? Moving or Name Changes 3
R Facebook reviews dropped to 0; Google filtering reviews temporarily? Local Reviews 2
A Diminishing Returns on Number of Reviews? Local Reviews 6
Eoghan_MFeed Great customer review we pulled in for a client Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
MatGee Multiple Practitioners at Medical Office, Is It Possible To Share Reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Webinar The State of Online Reviews in 2021 - January 14th at 2pm EST Events 0
C Review attributes gone missing Local Reviews 1
abbiebeltran Disgruntled former employee leaves 9 1-star reviews and counting on GMB listing Local Reviews 5
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
Professor M No Reviews on Local Packs for Car Wash Category in Different Countries Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon Delay in Seeing New Reviews Postings Dec 2020 Local Reviews 2
nathangdavidson Anyone noticing reviews not being added to profiles? Local Reviews 5
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17
Chris Ratchford Yelp won't remove a review from a rude reviewer Local Reviews 15
D Promote Reviews to Practice's Main GMB Profiles or Individual Doctors' GMB Profiles Local Reviews 1
jeff_taylor GMB Removes Reviews from Local Pack Local Search 0
H Multiple negative reviews and threats from one client Local Reviews 3
rayrober Missing Reviews Local Reviews 10
P Replying to All GMB Reviews: Rank Impact? Local Reviews 8
R New GMB reviews gone Google My Business & Google Maps 6
djbaxter How to Delete a Google Review Local Reviews 1
NevenaIvanova Review replies disappeared from Google Google My Business & Google Maps 9
nathangdavidson Anyone using Google's Marketing Kit tool to promote reviews? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Shelly Reciprocal review network between small business owners Local Reviews 30
U Receiving reviews, reviews showing but review count not changing Local Reviews 0
Tony Wang Fake Reviews - Completely Unsolicited? Local Reviews 2
Brittany Barkes Merging GMB Location With Bad Reviews Google Duplicates & Merges 2