Meghan Trapp

Reaction score
I'm unsure of what to use for lat and long in the schema markup for my clients. For example, the lat/long in the Google embed maps URL is not the same coordinates as the actual pushpin location. I completed a search with the lat/long from the URL and it was slightly NW of my business location. Any ideas how to correctly identity the lat/long to be used in schema markup? Thanks!

mborgelt

Reaction score
We always keep long and lat consistent with the address in Maps. You will want to get the pin to the correct location as well.

Meghan Trapp

Reaction score
Thanks, what I am actually referring to is that in this example of Cilantro's Mexican Bar & Grill, the lat/long in the Google Maps URL is 41.2200366, -96.1418065.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cilantro's+Mexican+Bar+&+Grill/@41.2200366,-96.1418065,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8793f3c301d220c3:0x9efb993faf0561f7

When you search this lat/long in Google Maps, it does not take you to this pin. It instead drops a marker due west of the actual pin in a different lat/long than pulled from the URL.

This is why I raise the question - In your schema markup, should you use the lat/long provided by Google in the Google Maps URL so that your markup is consistent with the URL? or should you use another method of finding your lat/long for your schema markup since Google also seems to think that this lat/long is due west of the actual business?

Lat.Long.jpg

Lat.Long.jpg

Lat.Long.jpg

Scott Rawlins

Solutions
Reaction score
I answered in the other thread too, but...

Have you tried GeoSetter? Check it out. It uses G maps.

"Shows existing geo coordinates, image directions and tracks on embedded Google Maps map"

Just enter the address, it use G Maps and will give the correct lat and long. Try it out.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Scott is right, that's one solution.

But with that tool or any other you still need to double check it, by posting the lat/long back into maps to be sure it resolves properly.

stankolev

Solutions
Reaction score
The coordinates in the maps url are where the map is centered. Here are two other variants to find the exact coordinates :

By clicking direction, the coordinates are in the end of the url, but be sure sure that the end destination is the business, not the address and watch for the minuses :

Code:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cilantro's+Mexican+Bar+%26+Grill,+14440+F+St,+Omaha,+NE+68137/@41.2200366,-96.1418065,17z/data=!4m12!1m3!3m2!1s0x0000000000000000:0x9efb993faf0561f7!2sCilantro's+Mexican+Bar+%26+Grill!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x8793f3c301d220c3:0x9efb993faf0561f7!2m2!1d[B]-96.1396178[/B]!2d[B]41.2200326[/B]

Result : 41.2200326 ; -96.1396178

In mapmaker source code :
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]"lat":41.220032600000003,"lng":-96.139617799999996[/FONT][/COLOR]

I checked the google places API for this business and the result for latitude/longitude are the same as in direction url.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
DaveOzric Schema markup no longer working? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Review Schema Mark up and Google My Business Reviews Local Search 4
R Schema markup and dynamic tracking numbers Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Toby 39 Celsius Video Schema Ques: Embed URL vs Content URL Local Search 0
Charles Jenkins SCHEMA For local business with address hidden? Local Search 1
RattlingTram Best Practices for areaServed Schema Markup? Help & Support for Google Local 5
Barb Davids GMB Listing vs Local Schema Google My Business & Google Maps 8
S What is a relevant Language markup for LocalBusiness Schema Local Search 3
djbaxter Webinar Schema Markup with Martha van Berkel, Wednesday, July 8th, 8am PT/11am ET Events 0
hajnasiewicz WP Schema Plugin Local SEO Tools & Software 6
hajnasiewicz Schema markup competitive analysis Local SEO Tools & Software 7
Michael S. Doran Schema for NAP in 2020 Websites, Software, and Security 6
P Schema Markup - SameAs - Using these for citations for branches Citations 14
L LocalBusiness Schema For 5 Different Location Pages Multi-Location Issues 3
Shelly LodgingBusiness or Product / Accommodations schema for rental homes on a vacation rental agency website Local Search 1
djbaxter How to Add a COVID-19 Announcement to Your Website with Schema Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
P Can you recommend a person or company to create Schema? Local Search 6
djbaxter Another option? Update your cancelled or postponed events with Schema Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter New schema properties for virtual, postponed, and canceled events Google My Business & Google Maps 0
T Has anyone had success reporting schema spam to google? Spam on Google 5
K Schema Markup for Betting/Gambling sites Recycle Bin 0
A WP - Schema Pro. Can it hurt my site? Organic SEO 7
D Schema Markup for Betting/Gambling sites Recycle Bin 0
G Reviews markup showing in serps for LocalBusiness schema markup? What's going on Local Reviews 7
JoyHawkins Google's New Announcement About Review Schema Google News: Important Changes & Features 91
JoshuaMackens Schema Reviews Markup Question Local Search 15
H Schema Markup for Betting/Gambling sites Organic SEO 1
Rich Owings Menu schema not getting picked up by Google Google My Business & Google Maps 21
L Schema and rankings Organic SEO 17
M Schema property "mentions" and its usage for references Organic SEO 6
mikepetersonwi Schema and multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 3
mikepetersonwi Multi Location Schema Multi-Location Issues 5
S Would it be appropriate to apply the schema attribute Trip to my site? Multi-Location Issues 2
Jo Shaer Blog post Schema - mainEntityOfPage Local Search 0
Jo Shaer Areaserved Schema - English counties/US states? Local Search 2
S Schema: part 1. Is schema code effective when inserted into the body of a page, not into a header Multi-Location Issues 2
Chris Ratchford Schema markup for Orthodontist... Dentist or Physician? Local Search 2
JoshuaMackens Rendering Schema Reviews in HTML Local Reviews 6
Jo Shaer Address Schema on all pages? Local Search 5
P Schema Markup - SameAS & HasMap - Does marking these up help with local ranking factors Local Search 0
JoshuaMackens Service for Schema Reviews Local Reviews 7
Ewan Kennedy Fake review summaries generated by schema markup Local Reviews 9
Larry Correct Schema category Local Search 4
mattheffner GatherUp Schema Code Local Search 8
JustinB Schema Markup on Single Page Websites? Organic SEO 3
Beris Local Business Schema - Multiple Locations Local Search 6
Nikki Brown Using Specific LocalBusiness Schema to help Rankings Local Search 4
Jo Shaer Schema through Yoast Local Search 7
JohnS Does LocalBusiness Schema Have to Go On Every Page Websites, Software, and Security 8
keyserholiday Reporting Schema Abuse Local Reviews 2