ServicePros

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I have another question that I'm hoping some of you would be kind enough to help me figure out....

As mentioned before, I have a small cleaning business focusing on carpet cleaning and janitorial services. While I do rank for carpet cleaning and most related services (tile and grout, upholstery care, etc.) the commercial services really don't do well at all (janitorial services, office cleaning). I'm thinking there is probably a ceiling as to how many categories you can target with one website?

Am I better off creating a whole other website to focus on the commercial business?

I have separate dba's, etc. but I only have one address which is being used for the current website. Can a local business rank without an address (I'm assuming less citations/directories to post to without an address?)?

Or is the better bet to keep working at developing all categories on the site I have now?

Thanks in advance!

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Do you have specific pages on your site targeting the commercial-based keywords? How about blog posts highlighting certain topics like that? If you're ranking for the residential terms, then without looking at the site i'll assume you have good content surrounding those keywords. I would say make new pages on your site and start getting content out on the internet about the commercial services you offer.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Agree with Eric.

One strong site with menu and subdirectories focusing on the 2 aspects of the business will work in your favor more than a divide and conquer strategy.

In Google Local "United We Stand" is typically a better strategy.

ServicePros

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, I have pages on the website for all aspects of residential carpet cleaning, tile and grout cleaning, etc. but also for commercial services like office cleaning, restroom cleaning, etc.

I had always assumed (I know, a dangerous thing to do) that a site could only rank for a few keywords related to a specific category?

Like say for example a pool cleaning business that also offered gutter cleaning or window washing.

So you're saying it is possible to have one website rank for two very broad categories (carpet cleaning and janitorial)?

Thank you again.

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Technically, yes a site could rank for those two categories since they're not all that different. It's not like you wanted to rank on carpet cleaning and dental services (which would be completely ridiculous :)).

A couple of big things you should be doing:
  • Have specific service pages
  • Create unique title/descriptions/h1 for each page
  • Get unique content about specific services/categories you want to rank for - Blog posts, articles, etc... etc..

The authority is from your domain, so splitting off into a new site would put you back at square one (not ideal, especially for the industry you're in). I'm sure others will chime in and offer expertise, but if you wanted to share a link to the site I'm sure we can give more specific suggestions on how to optimize.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Annika Neudecker Should you use more than 5 GMB categories? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
D A client has 3 verified GMB's across 2 states,with service pages for each location. Should service pages have only their respective locations address? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H Should I filter these self referrals? Organic SEO 1
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 How Should I Structure Suite Numbers with a New Office? Moving or Name Changes 1
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
D Should I Bother Updating NAP on Business Listings and 3rd Party Sites? Citations 7
raellovepie Redressal Form - What Should I Expect? Spam on Google 2
IanJohnson Office destroyed in hurricane, what should we do about the GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
NickB-Tampa Should a physician's assistant have their own GMB listing? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Kayla Adam What Strategy Should Been Used for My Wellness Clinic Local Search 5
M Client Says SEO Should Be Paid By Commission Only Consultant's Corner 15
Brian Barwig Why You Should Embed a Google Map on Your Website Google My Business & Google Maps 1
D Competitor is constantly suggesting new areas of service. What should I do? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
lincolnchan Branded KW Getting Outranked By Competitor... but neither should have GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
H Should I create a GMB if there is no 3-pack in the SERP? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Google: All Guests Posts Should Be Nofollow, Paid or Not Organic SEO 5
W Should multiple nearby hotels target the same area attraction? Recycle Bin 0
DanielTexasLira Should multiple nearby hotels target the same area attraction? Local Search 5
Ellen How Should We Be Updating GMB Hours Related to COVID-19? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
J Should I Create a GMB Website Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Tim Colling Should you *delete* your GMB listing if you're a "national" business? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
KristiSimone Cookies pop-up on website is trending. Should we add? Websites, Software, and Security 5
A Should I update Joomla Websites, Software, and Security 14
H Biz with a product specific domain - should they have two sites? Local Search 2
M Should we use "near me" in our keywords? Local Search 14
M New, Small Business Located Inside Larger, Established Business: What Should I Have Done? Local Search 0
Kevin Marshall Should I Create a New Email Address For Citation Work? Citations 11
JoshuaMackens We Should Do Awards! Forum Tech Support 5
Dino Should I get rid of this high traffic page on my website? Organic SEO 5
P How should you optimise the description in GBM - Should you use links to your sites? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins When Should you File a Disavow? Organic SEO 15
MarianoF A brand name too long for a Title Tag. Should I include it there anyway? Local Search 11
Oliver Keates GMB Categories: How many should I have? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Vicky Trainor One Business, 2 Websites, 2 GMB Profiles - Should I merge Everything?? Google Duplicates & Merges 14
Oliver Keates Should I be encouraging customers to leave a review on GMB Local Search 10
Durandl Should I spam my Business name in GMB to rank higher? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
R Free Webinar: How Agencies Should Package and Sell Review Management Services Events 0
Tim Colling This should be moved to a new thread of its own, right? Local Search Experts Forum 4
vivekrpatel Should we build citation for lifestyle blog/magazine? Citations 9
P Really long business & domain name with articles in it, what should we do? Local Search 5
djbaxter Should your business implement GDPR whether or not it is required? Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Creativedge Solo practitioner with two dental offices - Should the listings be merged? Help & Support for Google Local 4
Garrett Sussman How Often Should You Be Meeting With a New Client? Local Reviews 3
Garrett Sussman Why LinkedIn Should Add Reviews or Endorsements to Company Pages Local Reviews 2