Ampere

Reaction score
Let's say you had a website that was up for 10 years. You originally had a services page but changed things around over time.

Originally it was services.htm
Then you changed it to services.php
Then you started using Joomla and changed it to services
Then you changed it to services-in-atlanta

Each time you changed it, you put a 301 redirect in .htaccess. So now you have 4 redirects

Is it ok to stack them? Or should you go back to the first and second one and change it to redirect to the current page? I assume the latter is correct.

services.htm > services.php > services > services-in-atlanta Wrong?

services.htm > services-in-atlanta
services.php > services-in-atlanta
services > services-in-atlanta
Correct?

Second question, is there a time when there are too many redirects? Would 100-150 redirects start to slow anything down?

MeganR

Reaction score
The one word of caution is:

If you have old citations out there with the old version of URL, e.g., .php that are actually driving traffic to the site--you may need to preserve them until you get those directory listings/citations cleaned up with current URL version.

I've seen that for clients before where they will have multiple versions of website URLs, .html, .php and those are still driving traffic to the site.

May not be a problem for your client, but certainly worth looking at G analytics before purging even those that are not indexed.

Beyond that, totally agree with DJ Baxter above.

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Google says:

Avoid chaining redirects.
While Googlebot and browsers can follow a "chain" of multiple redirects (e.g., Page 1 > Page 2 > Page 3), we advise redirecting to the final destination. If this is not possible, keep the number of redirects in the chain low, ideally no more than 3 and fewer than 5. Chaining redirects adds latency for users, and not all browsers support long redirect chains.

I believe they have said they stop crawling after five, but I don't recall the reference.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Garrett Sussman Building a Local Small Business SaaS Vendors Stack Local Reviews 0
James Watt Andrew Shotland's local SEO tool stack Local SEO Tools & Software 5
Colan Nielsen What Does Your "Martech" Stack Look Like? Local SEO Tools & Software 1
Linda Buquet Mojopages Rebrands as Local Stack & Pros Discuss Best Citations Citations 0
Brian Barwig Local Stack Mess Google My Business & Google Maps 12
Linda Buquet Epic Overview of all the Local Stack - Snack Pack Changes Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Cool Trick/Tool for Cross Checking the Crazy Local Stack Changes & More Local SEO Tools & Software 3
Linda Buquet New Local 3 Stack: Local Pro Opinions Roundup on the Change that Rocked our World Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Linda Buquet Heat Map Click Study of The New Local Stack Google My Business & Google Maps 0
seoWest Local Stack Display Local Search 13
Mike Yem Shady 301 Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
keyserholiday Google 301 redirect issue Local Search 5
J Is there a way to tell if someone is 301 redirecting to your site. Local Search 1
H Still Grappling with the BIG change in 301 redirect rules. . . Local Search 9
Scott ClientClicks Advantage to using iframe over 301 redirect? Local Search 3
Eric Rohrback 301 redirect & Yext Image Question Local Search 0
djbaxter Matt Cutts: What percentage of PageRank is lost through a 301 redirect? Organic SEO 0
Greg Bernhardt Is redirecting broken backlinks overrated? Organic SEO 3
djbaxter How To Use the new noindex and force redirect custom addon for threads Admin Stuff 0
djbaxter Testing new noindex and force redirect custom addon by TickTackk Admin Stuff 0
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
sixthcitysarah Anyone know much on in-page PHP coded redirects? Websites, Software, and Security 1
PKLilikoi "Redirect Notice" in Google causing Toxic Link issue in Tools Organic SEO 3
J Issues with Spam Redirects Spam on Google 4
hajnasiewicz Issues with multiple domain redirects to one domain? Websites, Software, and Security 4
C Disgruntled Employee - Redirecting Backlink to a Different URL On My Page Organic SEO 3
A Redirecting sites via A Records Websites, Software, and Security 7
djbaxter Malicious WordPress Redirect Campaign Attacking Several Plugins Websites, Software, and Security 1
Jeffrey Taylor Website Redirects on Citations Moving or Name Changes 2
georgebizpro Redirect https domain to another https website Organic SEO 11
Vicky Trainor Do I need to redirect a business.site? Help & Support for Google Local 2
V Need Help: Fetch as Google shows redirected URL when it is not NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
vivekrpatel Need Help: Fetch as Google shows redirected URL when it is not NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
P Advice on URL Redirects Local Search 2
JoshuaMackens Getting GM to Redirect Traffic Google My Business & Google Maps 1
kbone Redirecting Customers to Google Rating/Review Box... Local Reviews 0
K HEADS UP - Google Removing unverified G+ Pages - Redirecting to Maps Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
timcapper DRAFT - Redirect Traffic from Other Business Pages to your Site through Images Post Drafts (Private) 0
HurricaneK8 CLOSED - Redirection H-E-Double-Hockey Sticks! Recycle Bin 1
R Website on GMB listing redirects to another website? Local Search 1