KSanders

Reaction score
I haven't done the "suite B" move in quite a while, so I'm wondering if this still works?

Have a client that does apartment locating and moving out of the same building. Apt. locating in the front, moving in the back, but one door. Ethically, I don't think it's any issue but I'm unsure of the risk level.

Apt. Location business has some major citations, but different biz name and phone. Thinking I can get away with Suite B for the moving company, as the current address tied to service area is way outside of what G shows for the map.

Also, all moving companies in this market correctly set as service area businesses aren't ranking as well as "walk-in" moving companies. Anyone else seeing this trend? Links profiles and NAP consistency in the market are about the same, with no one having a significantly better presence.

Thoughts?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I haven't done the "suite B" move in quite a while, so I'm wondering if this still works?

Have a client that does apartment locating and moving out of the same building. Apt. locating in the front, moving in the back, but one door. Ethically, I don't think it's any issue but I'm unsure of the risk level.

Wearing my by-the-book pure white hat my advice is don't set up a fake suite.

The old guidelines stated something like: Do not create a listing for a location that does not exist. The new ones say things like: "Make sure that your page is created at your actual, real-world location." So if there is really no Suite B then that's not the real world location.

But I realize that's a pretty strict interpretation of the rules and I know people do it. I've even seen a couple posts where people said support suggested it. (May have been reps that didn't know better or maybe it's not such a big deal.) And I don't know the ramifications if you are caught. But the algo is pretty smart and likely knows if there is really a Suite B or not.

Also, all moving companies in this market correctly set as service area businesses aren't ranking as well as "walk-in" moving companies. Anyone else seeing this trend? Links profiles and NAP consistency in the market are about the same, with no one having a significantly better presence.

I always use: <a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=plumber+san+marcos+ca&ie=UTF-8">plumber san marcos ca - Google Search</a> as an example. The top 4 have address hidden, only 2 at the very bottom have address showing.

PLUS I'd rather be low in the pack (if that were the case, but it's not) then possibly have listing suspended or deleted and have nothing at all AND have all the wasted time trying to get it re-instated.

My 2 cents anyway.

Other thoughts???

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
How do they receive mail? Is it a drop box at the same building with a different designation, or are they strictly receiving mail from a PO box or something? I would use suite numbers if that's actually how the building is set up. The risk you would need to consider is introducing another address variation into the ecosystem; especially one that doesn't exist. I don't think it's as harmful as introducing a new phone number, but it could have a negative impact down the line somewhere.

KSanders

Reaction score
Thanks. The postal worker just drops mail off in the front office, although if they were to actually put up a Suite B sign, I'm sure he'd go in the back as well.

We're doing Suite B and seeing what happens. I don't see much issue with this. Thanks for the feedback.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Thanks. The postal worker just drops mail off in the front office, although if they were to actually put up a Suite B sign, I'm sure he'd go in the back as well.

Google maps physical locations. Google does not look at postal addresses and does not care in many cases what the post office thinks is right. (Even for regular address issues.) And they have access to zoning and maybe even lease/purchase agreements if they are public anywhere and other government docs and databases. So they kinda know what the real addresses/suites are.

But having said that suite it probably not a big deal and likely would not ever become an issue unless a competitor turned them in for having 2 listings at the same location or something.

KSanders

Reaction score
We fired this client actually, but it worked out fine and all his local (at least top 50) match that listing, so he'll likely pop top 5 eventually if he gets someone to build him some links.

But having said that suite it probably not a big deal and likely would not ever become an issue unless a competitor turned them in for having 2 listings at the same location or something.

One is an apartment location biz, the other is a moving company and there's a clear enough distinction between the two. I don't see it ever being an issue that you couldn't resolve.

What I have seen working lately is a brand/name practice/firm at an address w suite # and another EMD w/verified map listing at the same address without a suite #. Works incredibly well but is a bit frustrating to compete against if your clients aren't into risk.