More threads by Stef Kiley

Stef Kiley

Reaction score
Hello,
A client of mine, Alpha Foundation, has some concerns regarding their GMB listing. There is a business marked as temporarily closed ranking higher than them in the local pack.
I know there are many different factors that we need to take into consideration but I can't go back to my client with "I'm not sure".
Is there any input you can provide as to why this is happening? I would like to go back to my client with something.
I appreciate any help!

Thanks!

alpha1.JPG

alpha2.JPG

@Stef Kiley, from what I've always seen, the "temporarily closed" label is just that: a label. Unlike "permanently closed," it won't affect whether a page ranks for anything other than a brand-name search.

So the question always becomes: is a "permanently closed" edit justified? In this case it appears one is, because if you go to that competitor's site the Tallahassee location is not listed in the footer. So I'd guess they're employing the "hermit crab SEO" strategy (as I call it), where they figure at least the old, now-closed location still gives them a trickle of leads they can sell or redirect to one of their other offices. The trouble is that's at your client's expense.

@Stef Kiley, from what I've always seen, the "temporarily closed" label is just that: a label. Unlike "permanently closed," it won't affect whether a page ranks for anything other than a brand-name search.

Good catch. And look at their map. They don't even serve Tallahassee anymore. They make that really clear. It's a really good distance away. They left Tallahassee in the meta title on the Tampa page, on the page they are clearly trying to rank in Tampa for, so I think it's just an oversight. They don't need it or want it is my guess.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom