Reaction score
We have an attraction client that's trying to rank on internal TripAdvisor searches for "Top Attractions in [County, State]".

That page also ranks well in Google SERPs, so it's also a barnacle SEO strategy.

Part of the problem is likely that the attraction is located near the edge of the county they're trying to rank for (although, some of the other attractions that rank well are too). They also don't pay for advertising on TripAdvisor.

They've already got a ton of reviews. In fact, they have more reviews (and a higher score) than some of the other attractions that rank highly on TripAdvisor's "Top Attractions in [County, State]" page.

Anyone have tips on optimizing the TripAdvisor listing to show up higher on internal TripAdvisor searches?

pony

Reaction score
This might seem obvious, but is your Yelp page categorized for the particular type of attraction list you are wanting to optimize for?

I've found they sometimes blindly follow the categories at the top of the profile to create those lists and don't look into whether business a) who doesn't utilize that category might be a better fit than business b) who does.

Cherie Dickey

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will help with ranking within TripAdvisor itself, but I would also make sure that SameAs schema is on the website as well.

Reaction score
Hi Justin

I am going to assume that the attraction segment is already listed on the the page, that they would fit within - Day Trip, Kayaking etc

There is an added incentive if the user can actually book via TripAdvisor - to keep in mind.

Reviews - Regular, Longer Form - try and get attraction in Review Title (Best Kayaking Trip Ever !! )

Images - Label

Content - Don't skimp on this and fill in all the relevant sections. If possible add some location markers in the additional info section - Nearest cash point is located at XYZ (I don't know what the attraction is )

Populate some well crafted Answers in the Q & A - ideally get users already active in state - if not be aware that their spam filters are super hot.

Make sure state is in the address.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R TripAdvisor Reviews On GMB Listing For Hotels Local Reviews 4
Rich Owings Does "near me" optimization bring more organic or GMB clicks? Organic SEO 4
C Help with service page optimization Organic SEO 20
Ben Walsh Near me on page optimization Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
djbaxter Passage Indexing: Not A Core Update. It's Ranking, Not Indexing. Don't Optimize For It Google Algorithm Discussions 0
Andy Optimal positioning (for CRO) of reviews widgets on website Local Reviews 5
F Optimizing for local and online - broader areas? Local Search 0
Monica Simpson Optimizing Name - do citations matter? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 7
Nicole Basham Multi-service Service Area Business: GMB Optimization Advice Needed Service Area Businesses 2
S GMB image optimization - Worth it? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A What Wordpress Speed Optimizing Plugins do you use? Websites, Software, and Security 7
M Google Optimize? Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
bruce@brucejone Optimizing Images For GMB - Things Have Changed Google My Business & Google Maps 8
dave101 Looking for an SEO consultant with experience optimizing IT support companies Local SEO Job Board 1
dave101 Anyone have experience with optimizing IT Support companies? Service Area Businesses 0
Vincent Tobiaz Recent Study 3.6 min acceptable rating & 4.9 being most optimal Google My Business & Google Maps 3
BipperMedia How do you optimize for a specific kw please? Recycle Bin 0
S Review Request - Business Card - Text optimization? Google My Business & Google Maps 24
M How do you optimize for a specific kw please? Local Search 46
Paul Kargo Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Recycle Bin 5
M Optimizing GMB questions please Google My Business & Google Maps 34
vivekrpatel Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Local Content 7
vinchenson Would you change the name of a listing that is not optimized? Local Search 4
J Customer requesting help with SEO optimization for "Customer Name" Keyword Ranking Google Local 101 9
LilyRayNYC Practitioner page consistently outranking main biz page despite being less optimized Ranking Puzzles 2
M What info needs to go into optimized image?? Local Search 7
Tim Colling Home Care Voice Search Optimization: Alexa Echo Show 2 vs. Google Home Hub (The Winner is Yelp) Local Search 4
L Help optimize google my business Contact Us Messages 2
C Who REALLY Knows How Much "Optimization" Is Just Wheel Spinning Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Garrett Sussman How To Help Your Clients Optimize Their Review Site Listings [FREE PDF DOWNLOAD] Local Reviews 2
A New(ish) SEO and Website Optimization company Recycle Bin 0
Gsmithmike How do you optimize Local Landing pages? Organic SEO 8
Linda Buquet The Optimal Local Landing Page For Attorneys - NiftyLaw Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman How to Fully Optimize Your Google My Business Listing Local Reviews 0
Ryan77 100's of Page 1 Rankings Already - How To Better Optimize The Home Page? Local Search 11
James Watt Google's new mobile testing tool, plus some mobile optimization tips Local Search 1
bczubiak Is Your OnPage Optimization Working? Track Your Ranking Changes With Automation Consultant's Corner 3
L Bulk Optimizing Images - Wordpress Organic SEO 3
Linda Buquet Experts Share Tips: How to Optimize your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L Optimizing Image Galleries Organic SEO 4
JoyHawkins How to Optimize 2 Locations in the Same City Local Search 5
bczubiak Non-English Website Optimization Local Search 3
Colan Nielsen Local Finder Photo Optimization Tips Google My Business & Google Maps 14
M Multiple location optimization Multi-Location Issues 4
M Multiple location optimization Multi-Location Issues 4
L Multi-Location Local SEO: Problems & Optimization Tips - 2 Part Series Multi-Location Issues 4
Linda Buquet Multi-Location Local SEO: Problems & Optimization Tips - 2 Part Series Multi-Location Issues 4
Linda Buquet Optimize for the NEW Local Centroid - The User! Miriam Ellis @ Moz Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 7 Under-the-Hood SEO Optimization Techniques | Neil Patel - Search Engine Journal Organic SEO 0
L Image Optimization Local Search 9