Brian

Reaction score
I have a new attorney client who for the last several years has had two businesses at one location using the same address and phone with different firm names. One business is a Family law firm the other business is related targeting family law mediation services. He has one Google account where both listings are managed. For years he has been ranking high in a competetive suburban market of Chicago with the law firm listing. Up until six months ago the Law Firm usually ranked at A or B and more recently at D or E. At times during the last six months he has had both listings rank on page one blended local. A few weeks ago his legal marketing firm recommended that he change the address/phone on the mediation business. That is when he called me. I changed the meditation firm's address/phone in the places dashboard to his home address (as a service area business) and a different phone. During the last few weeks we have edited his citations for the mediation business. Yesterday I noticed the old address and phone continue to be displayed in the search results for the mediation business. Even though the phone/address inside the dashboard still show as changed. Should I use Google phone support for this? I should add that am very nervous about working on this. He is heavily reliant on the many leads he receives from the high ranking on the Law firm listing. So I don't want to do anything to disrupt that. He is not very concerned about hurting the results on the mediation business.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

This is pretty much "shades of gray" heading into black and I'm afraid if you call support it could get him in trouble. In fact his main listing is at risk for suspension.

I'm sure Google would see this as ONE business that should only have one listing. Per guidelines: "A practitioner should not have multiple listings to cover all of his or her specializations." Plus since both listings deal with family law I would think you could cover all the keywords in the cats and description with one listing.

I'm surprised he got away with the 2 listings at the same address like he did. Usually that would lead to suspension. I've had lots of attys come to me for consulting due to this problem.

Not sure why the address isn't changing on the listing. Could be variety of things. Can't really tell without analyzing.

But I would not contact support on this one. AND if were me I would boot mediation out of dash and incorporate that service into the main listing.

Brian

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
AND if were me I would boot mediation out of dash and incorporate that service into the main listing.

So I should click delete in the places dashboard and then choose the option below?

Remove this listing from my Google Places account.
Select this option if you mistakenly associated the listing with your account. This listing may continue to display on Google Maps if provided by other sources.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Yep, that kicks it out of the account, then the account and main listing are not in danger.

BUT the cool thing is, if there are still citations for the other practice, the listing will stay live on maps, so still could get calls. BUT would not be in violation. But it would just look like a bare unclaimed listing. It may still keep the old address and if it links to the home page of the main web site, it would compete in search and could knock the main listing out of blended and disconnect it.

But in training today I'll be teaching you how to deal with that when we discuss dupe issues.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
dateinadash SAB location no longer appears next to my business Service Area Businesses 1
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
jpayne7 Business Moved Before GMB Verification (Postcard is Being Sent to Old Location) Moving or Name Changes 7
Ross Barefoot Locations vs. Businesses on GMB Left Navbar Google My Business & Google Maps 4
H Practitioner Listings at Multiple Business Locations Multi-Location Issues 1
N My Business in Multiple Locations leaving me with 3 unanswered questions Multi-Location Issues 2
david.victor Hybrid Business: SAB w/Physical Location Service Area Businesses 6
N Local services Ad Approach for Businesses with Multiple locations on one GMB Account Paid Search and Local Service Ads 4
Ben Walsh Is this still the ideal site structure for multi location businesses Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Ben Walsh 2 location business onpage strategy, homepage vs service pages vs location pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
M Business Suspended for Using Virtual Address, Moving to New Real Location Moving or Name Changes 4
brettmandoes "Invalid Business Location" NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Adam Humphreys GMB Multiple Business at Location Blocks Edits Moving or Name Changes 3
divotagency Service Area Business - Multiple locations Google My Business & Google Maps 4
EmilyW Multiple locations, one business = spam? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B GMB Listing for a New Business in a Location of a Previous Business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
LizP Setting up GMB account for enterprise business (500+ locations) Multi-Location Issues 3
C Website URLs for Multiple locations in Google My Business & Local Citations Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J "Google my Business - Appointments" for an account with many locations Google My Business & Google Maps 2
IanJohnson Multi-Location Businesses not showing Local results in SERPs Google My Business & Google Maps 1
abbiebeltran Business Licence Required to be Display on Location Page Local Search 1
EmilyW Multiple businesses, same location Google My Business & Google Maps 17
Rasmus Himmelstrup +80 locations gone from GMB business account? Multi-Location Issues 7
K Concierge Business Visits Many Locations Google My Business & Google Maps 5
K 2 businesses 1 location (5 different locations) Recycle Bin 0
K 2 businesses 1 location (5 different locations) Recycle Bin 0
Travis Van Slooten How Would You Handle "2 Locations" For a Service Business? Local Search 4
A Service Area Businesses & Multiple Locations Local Search 19
DigitalMarketer Business Description & Multiple Location GMB Multi-Location Issues 3
C Ranking for Two Business Locations in the US: East Coast & West Coast Local Search 3
C Question - Service Based Business & multiple locations Multi-Location Issues 4
NatalieS Using 'Located within' for multi-location businesses Multi-Location Issues 1
J 2 Locations | Site Structure | Local Business Google Local 101 12
Lanerizz Properly Closing a Location on GMB for Multi-Location Business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M New, Small Business Located Inside Larger, Established Business: What Should I Have Done? Local Search 0
Tim Kahlert Citations Business Name For Multiple Locations Citations 4
brettmandoes Automating Citations for Multi-Location Business Citations 13
Z Solved: Multi-Location Business, Google Maps only shows one location instead of two Multi-Location Issues 10
Beris Local Business Schema - Multiple Locations Local Search 6
Ted J. Merging Two Business Listings to One Location on Yelp - Moving Reviews Across Listings Local Search 8
P Multi-location business - How can I update my GMB opening times for All my locations in one go ? Multi-Location Issues 3
D Google My Business (GMB) Multiple Doctors & Locations for Same Clinic (with different brands) Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Steve Attarian Service Area Business with poorly located small retail center. NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
J Interesting, Sneak Way of Trying to Game Multi Location Google My Business Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 6
LocalHero Google My Business - 2 Locations in one city Local Search 8
djbaxter Business still shows in two locations, one old and closed Google My Business & Google Maps 24
Durandl Over 200 business locations - What to do? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
B Single-City Multi-Location Business Local SEO Multi-Location Issues 4