Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
I was just having an interesting discussion with one of my colleagues about ATM's and how they fit into Google Places in light of them recently being added to the Quality Guidelines:

.Your business location should be staffed during its stated hours.
  • Exceptions to the above are self-serve businesses such as ATMs or video-rental kiosks. If adding these locations, you should include contact information for customers to get help.

At first thought that ATM's go against Google's guideline that states:

• Only businesses that make in-person contact with customers qualify for a Google Places listing.

Then my colleague pointed out the subtle detail in that guideline. It doesn't say "only businesses that make person to person contact" it simply says "Only businesses that make in-person contact" which would make room for an ATM to have a G+ Local page even though it doesn't have any staff there to make contact with the employee, since customers are indeed making contact with the business/ATM.

Does this also mean that vending machines and other non-staffed kiosks qualify for a Google+ Local page?

Anyone ever looked into this before?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S GMB/map rankings, could not understand how these got sorted out in the rankings Ranking Puzzles 1
M Understanding the GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 4
bczubiak Understanding Traffic From Blog Articles. Is it helping Locally? Local Content 11
Eric Rohrback How well do prospects understand what you do? Consultant's Corner 3
Tim Sweeney Understanding How Google Maps Formats Street Addresses Along Highways Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet 5 Ways Understanding Differences Between Map Maker & GMB Guidelines Can Help You Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones Understanding Google and Alphabet Local Search 4
Eric Rohrback Understanding Target Audience Consultant's Corner 5
1 Understanding Map markers? Google My Business & Google Maps 21
Dustybones Understanding The Google Answer Box & Knowledge Graph Local Search 0
Dustybones Understanding Google's future of Deep Learning: Whiteboard Friday Local Search 0
djbaxter Conversion Lift: Helping Marketers Better Understand the Impact of Facebook Ads Mobile & Social 0
Dustybones Semantic Search in 1975: Helping us understand SEO today Local Search 0
Dustybones Understanding the Google + Review Filter: Local Visibility System Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Dustybones Understanding the technical side of Google Panda Local Search 2
Dustybones Brightlocal Review Survey helps us understand consumers Local Reviews 2
Dustybones Understanding Semantic Search, Google, and Anchor text Local Search 0
Dustybones MATT CUTTS: Understanding the quality of a webpage that doesn't have links Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Understanding Consumers' Local Search Behavior - Google Infographic Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Dustybones STUDY: Understanding headlines in blog posts that go viral Local Search 0
Dustybones A few things SMB's don't understand about SEO Local Search 0
djbaxter Disavow & Link Removal: Understanding Google Organic SEO 2
Travis Van Slooten An Awesome Resource To Understand Google's Guidelines in Plain English Organic SEO 1
S Trying To Understand G+ and Authorship.... Google Local 101 10
M Help me understand why we can't rank in the top 3? Help & Support for Google Local 4
S Help Me Understand Why I'm not ranking Help & Support for Google Local 16
Simon James Just to check my understanding of the current state of play for multiple locations... Help & Support for Google Local 17
Greg Bernhardt Banks and ATMs Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Nicolae Juravschi Bulk confirmation for ATMs Multi-Location Issues 2
R Canada ATM Category Change (Bulk Upload) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
H ATM Locations Help & Support for Google Local 1
Linda Buquet How Local SEO Fits In With What You're Already Doing by @Miriam_Ellis_ @moz Local Search 0
Priya Chandra Google moving into the Fitness realm (kind of) Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Michael S. Doran Let's talk about niche businesses that don't have a great category fit Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Local Fitness 2014: My Cheater Treadmill Desk Alternative Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 5
R Phone # Doesn't Fit and 500 Error Help & Support for Google Local 10
Linda Buquet Google's Anatomy - Spine, Brain - How Does LOCAL Fit In? Local Search 0