SteinCoffee

Reaction score
In a small-medium sized city that our SAB serves, we consistently rank #1 in organic when searching that "service + location". But when I'm physically in that location and search the service without the location, the landing page is third page, right behind our home page (which is not in that city but is nearby).

When searching the service from the location, businesses with physical addresses closer to the location rank higher than my location landing page. But when I add the location in the search, my page is at the top.

There is one other competitor whose landing page in a different city outranks ours when I don't include the location in the search, but my page always beats them when I do include the location in the search. This one is a head scratcher to me.

Do you have an idea what's going on?

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
That's because of at least three things:

1. When the location isn't in the query, Google has to take its best guess as to where the searcher wants to see results. It matters where Google thinks the searcher is. It also matters where Google thinks the relevant businesses are (which is a tricky wit SABs). The Google Maps 3-pack is very location-sensitive. The organic results are less so, but they've gotten much more location-sensitive in recent years.

2. The number of businesses competing with you on "service + location" is probably smaller than the number of businesses in your area that Google might rank for "service" terms. You're up against a smaller number of pages that might outrank yours. Small pond vs. medium pond.

3. Homepages that make the service area clear often outrank "location" or "city" pages. Yes, even though the latter are more targeted. My working theory has always been that's because the homepage has most or all of the links, and "city" pages tend to have none. So I'm not too surprised your homepage is ahead of the "location" page.

Last edited:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P I need a recommendation of a person implementing Schema.org (vast experience in json-ld and SEO) Local SEO Job Board 4
EduarddeBoer Problem with two different locations having same address Google My Business & Google Maps 9
S 2 GMB Suspended for Two Different Owners Multi-Location Issues 4
FriarTuck00 "Hours or Services May Differ" Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Jim Froling Different Maps Results Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AdvoAd Different addresses in knowledge panel Moving or Name Changes 4
accessted My SAB Showing in a different state Service Area Businesses 14
B Compare/Contrast different GMB location's data? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1
Professor M No Reviews on Local Packs for Car Wash Category in Different Countries Google My Business & Google Maps 1
A Multiple service based locations in different provinces with one physical address Multi-Location Issues 1
R Different Post views count on business.google.com dashboard vs API NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
DanielTexasLira Has anyone done Local SEO on a Dual Pad Hotel (two different hotel brands sharing the same location)? Local Search 6
Jeffrey Review count on Ad is different then review count on GMB listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Jim Froling Different Info on Knowledge Panel Displayed Between Browsers (?) Local Search 4
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
C Disgruntled Employee - Redirecting Backlink to a Different URL On My Page Organic SEO 3
Conor Treacy Same address, showing two different locations Google Duplicates & Merges 2
L LocalBusiness Schema For 5 Different Location Pages Multi-Location Issues 3
Craig McBreen Two businesses, different names, point to same website Google Duplicates & Merges 1
Shelly Opinions wanted: Answering Q&A on another GMB panel (within a different category) as a business in the same town Google My Business & Google Maps 8
A Different local pack results on Android phone and iphone Local Search 9
A Google Maps Showing Different Map When Searching Name vs. Address Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Caroline Two GMB pages - same business but different names Google Duplicates & Merges 5
H Different business and URL, but with same address Google Duplicates & Merges 15
Gerry.Foster Is there a difference between Post offers and products? Google Local 101 1
M Star Ratings Difference? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 3
Travis Van Slooten GMB Dashboard Has One Address But Displays a Different Address in Maps? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Same phone number for different location Local Search 8
S Office hours differ from service hours Service Area Businesses 1
W Can you point to a different URL from within a GMB without it getting suspended? Moving or Name Changes 3
K 2 businesses 1 location (5 different locations) Recycle Bin 0
K 2 businesses 1 location (5 different locations) Recycle Bin 0
L Why is Google showing different categories for this business in the same search/view? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
Paul Kargo Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Recycle Bin 5
H Google Cache shows a different website? Local Search 0
K Differences in backlink profile with same citation service Organic SEO 1
vivekrpatel Local Business for two Different Languages - How to Optimize? Local Content 7
S Getting backlinks to rank on a different city Recycle Bin 0
J Hours of Operation on different browsers Mobile & Social 10
Bryan Bloom Product Posts vs Products (Beta) - what is the difference? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
M What is "Google My Business"? and Is it any Different than "Google Maps"? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
J Similar h1 tags but different towns ? Local Search 3
D Getting backlinks to rank on a different city Organic SEO 5
L Facebook Locations: How to Enable Different Location Names Than Parent? Citations 4
Claire Carlile Difference between UK and US lead image in business knowledge panel Google My Business & Google Maps 5
H What is the difference between 'branded' and 'direct' Multi-Location Issues 2
O 4 Different Businesses Same Building Google My Business & Google Maps 14
D Google My Business (GMB) Multiple Doctors & Locations for Same Clinic (with different brands) Google My Business & Google Maps 7