More threads by barbmcgrath

barbmcgrath

Reaction score
Trying to verify ownership on 2 listings with the client and the phone never rings. Both are VOIP lines.

Previously verified multiple locations with this business prior to the VOIP lines.

Anyone else having this issue and find a resolution?

Tx!

Solution
HI @barbmcgrath, I recall a few years ago there was an issue with GBP verifications when using VOIP lines but I would think the adoption rate of VOIP lines would probably result in much less trouble today. In the rare occasions that Google will permit our clients to verify by phone, I believe they have been VOIP lines. A few questions for you:
  1. Have you reached out to the VOIP carrier? Some carriers will employ spam filtering and it is possible Google's verification number was flagged incorrectly. Also, if they are a reputable carrier, they should be able to help troubleshoot a missed incoming call while you have them on another line. As Google's verification calls are pretty much instant, this shouldn't take much time for...
HI @barbmcgrath, I recall a few years ago there was an issue with GBP verifications when using VOIP lines but I would think the adoption rate of VOIP lines would probably result in much less trouble today. In the rare occasions that Google will permit our clients to verify by phone, I believe they have been VOIP lines. A few questions for you:
  1. Have you reached out to the VOIP carrier? Some carriers will employ spam filtering and it is possible Google's verification number was flagged incorrectly. Also, if they are a reputable carrier, they should be able to help troubleshoot a missed incoming call while you have them on another line. As Google's verification calls are pretty much instant, this shouldn't take much time for the tech/CSR on the VOIP side.
  2. Are these new numbers or were they "ported" from a previous phone carrier?
  3. If new, how new are they?
  4. If new, have you performed a google search for that phone number to see if these belonged to a previous business?
  5. What type of industry is your client?

Solution
  1. Have you reached out to the VOIP carrier? Some carriers will employ spam filtering and it is possible Google's verification number was flagged incorrectly. Also, if they are a reputable carrier, they should be able to help troubleshoot a missed incoming call while you have them on another line. As Google's verification calls are pretty much instant, this shouldn't take much time for the tech/CSR on the VOIP side.
  2. Are these new numbers or were they "ported" from a previous phone carrier?
  3. If new, how new are they?
  4. If new, have you performed a google search for that phone number to see if these belonged to a previous business?
  5. What type of industry is your client?

Hey Jeff, thanks.

Industry is an insurance office. The current owner purchased the business about 3 years ago but never claimed the listing. The phone was ported from a provincial carrier over to the current VOIP provider shortly after. I don't know yet who the current carrier is - but will ask.

I have escalated the case to Google Support and am waiting to hear back. If we can trigger a postcard that will work as well.

Tx!!

Does the phone number have an IVR or ring phones directly? We have found that an IVR can sometimes be problematic.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom