djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
We researched longer meta descriptions: here are our findings
Yoast
April 23, 2018

For this research project, we picked 100 of the most visited pages on our site. Before we made any changes we did a baseline measurement, by gathering data from our Google Search Console account. We wanted to know how high these pages ranked before we changed the meta description with Yoast SEO, in order to compare it to the rankings afterwards....

We analyzed new Google Search Console data after two weeks and compared it to the baseline measurements. The first thing we noticed was that Google created a lot of the meta descriptions itself, regardless of the ones we wrote and of the group a specific page was in. This means that we didn’t see a clear difference between the various groups we had created. So, in other words, it didn’t matter if we’d created long or short meta descriptions and whether the description was written with a high or low keyword density. Secondly, we looked at which part of the copy Google used to extract a meta description. In two-third of the cases, Google used sentences from the first paragraph. It’s not a guarantee, whatsoever, but it is a clear indication that writing an introduction for your article should be done with the meta description in mind....

We conducted this research on only one site. A site that has quite a few high rankings and high domain authority, as well as a lot of extensive articles. This makes it a good example site to test on, but the results might differ from other sites.

We won’t advise you to go and change all your existing meta descriptions. What would make sense, for most sites at least, is to take a look at your best ranking articles and make those descriptions longer and meaningful. In all other cases we’d recommend to focus on the content of your article. State clearly what the article is about in your first paragraphs, so if Google picks a description itself it’s likely to be a good one!

Read more...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Robots meta changes for Google and the Yoast SEO Plugin Websites, Software, and Security 0
Jo Shaer Schema through Yoast Local Search 7
djbaxter Free webinar, SEO in 2019, from Yoast: November 20, 2018 Events 0
djbaxter Yoast: Is the Medic update about intent? Local Search 0
djbaxter Yoast's Mobile SEO: The Ultimate Guide Organic SEO 0
James Watt Tip for adding schema to a wordpress site with Yoast Local SEO Tools & Software 16
B Re: Yoast Local Search SEO plugin Recycle Bin 0
cd2 Yoast Local Search SEO plugin Local Search 3
djbaxter WordPress: Major update to Yoast's Local SEO plugin Websites, Software, and Security 0
Nick Rink New Local SEO Wordpress plugin from Yoast Local SEO Tools & Software 10
JoyHawkins Are Local Services Ads Stealing Clicks from Google My Business? A Case Study of 110 Listings Paid Search and Local Service Ads 0
JoyHawkins Search Console vs Google My Business (GMB) Insights: A Large Case Study Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Vincent Tobiaz Recent Study 3.6 min acceptable rating & 4.9 being most optimal Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Accidental Site De-Index from Google and Long Road to Recovery: Moz Case Study Organic SEO 0
pony BrightLocal - Google My Business Insights Study Google My Business & Google Maps 4
georgebizpro Google June Broad Core Update Case Study: Keyword-rich domains back on the rise? Google Algorithm Discussions 2
rosie.brightlocal Google Reviews Study: How are local businesses using Google Reviews? Local Reviews 1
rosie.brightlocal Local Services Ads Click Study: Where do people click on local SERPs? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Linda Buquet GMB Keyword Stuffing Penalties: Case Study by Sterling Sky Local Search 14
rosie.brightlocal SEO Citations Study - New data! Citations 3
rosie.brightlocal New data: BrightLocal's Voice Search for Local Business Study Local Search 1
Garrett Sussman Grade.us Case Study for Grene Vision Group Local Reviews 2
T Interesting study of Google clustering results in Local Packs Local Search 1
K Spam Re: 5 local SEO case studies, with take-aways Recycle Bin 0
bhartzer Google's Business.Site - Case Study Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet NEW! Local SEO Ranking Factors Study 2017, Have you studied it? By @localseoguide Local Search 1
mborgelt Interesting Google Local Study Based on Over 100,000 URLs Google My Business & Google Maps 2
JoyHawkins Do Your Listings Vanish When you Cancel with Moz Local? [Case Study] Citations 1
Garrett Sussman How to Create an ORMM Case Study for Your Agency Local Reviews 1
CaseyMeraz Click Test Study on The Local Finder // How Users Decide Where to Click Local Search 4
Colan Nielsen Why you cannot ignore practitioner listings on Google My Business (case study) Google My Business & Google Maps 3
A GEO DOMAINS QUESTION: Trade + City Domain SERP Result Case Studies ??? Local Search 2
James Watt 5 local SEO case studies, with take-aways Local Search 0
Colan Nielsen Why the $%!# Does Google Keep Updating My Business Hours? (A Case Study) Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Linda Buquet Enlightening Study On Near Me Searches via Mobile Search Local Search 5
JoyHawkins Want to Participate in a Google Study? Local Search 2
CodyBaird Best Review Articles, Ideas, Slide Decks, Studies & Why Local Reviews 11
Linda Buquet Is a #1 Ranking All it's Cracked Up to Be? Local Search Click Study Local Search 8
Colan Nielsen Google Partners Analytics Certification Study Guide Local Search 3
Dustybones STUDY: 5 Things We See With The New Local Pack Local Search 7
Dustybones Study On Click-through Rate and Average Ranking Trends Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Another New Local 3 Pack Click Through / Heat Map Study - Mike Ramsey Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Dustybones MOZ 2015 Search Engine Ranking Factors Study Released Local Search 4
CaseyMeraz New 3 Pack Click Test Study! See where potential visitors are clicking Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Linda Buquet The Power of Local Search: More Conversions with Less Traffic - Mini Case Study Local Search 2
Dustybones STUDY: Is Google + Becoming a ghost town? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Updating Citations: Guide and Case Study - Only 21% Went Through Citations 2
Dustybones Google Study: "Near Me" Searches have nearly doubled in last year. Local Search 9
kaynolliee A case study on why Domino's Pizza is dominating Local Search Recycle Bin 2
Linda Buquet Heat Map Click Study of The New Local Stack Google My Business & Google Maps 0