Reaction score
It can be difficult letting go of old tactics, especially if they are still working for you. SEMrush has provided 3 things Small business are still doing even though the industry is moving on.

3 Things Small Business Owners Still Don?t Understand About SEO & SEM

Search engine optimization and search engine marketing are two concepts that are often connected in the minds of many small business owners. While some of the strategies of SEO and SEM are interchangeable, each of these marketing arenas requires its own unique approach.The world of SEO and SEM has seen a massive amount of change even within the past few years. The SEO techniques and shortcuts that might have worked in 2007 are no longer effective.
As a marketer and consultant, I work with a lot of small business owners who, unfortunately, don?t seem to understand that the SEO rules have changed.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bruce Bird Merging Places and G+ Local pages - and a few other things! Help & Support for Google Local 8
N GMB Q&A's only populating a few of the Q&A's that the business has posted NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 13
L Significant google algo change in the last few days? Organic SEO 4
W GMB Listing Sank Over The Past Few Months Service Area Businesses 6
J Why Are There So Few Local Listings For This Query? Google My Business & Google Maps 15
B Removed: A few questions about reviews on Google Recycle Bin 0
A A few questions about reviews on Google Google My Business & Google Maps 23
Margaret Ornsby Few of goodies from State of Search (via twitter) Organic SEO 4
Rich Owings Client doesn't show up on map even though there are few competitors Help & Support for Google Local 4
B A few basic questions Google Local 101 4
Dustybones Mercury In Retrograde Makes us Mad for a few weeks. Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
vibhugauba Need Help With A Few Clients Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Client moves office to a new location a few streets away Moving or Name Changes 6
Jo Shaer Client moves office to a new location a few streets away Moving or Name Changes 6
Adamk 500+ Locations and Home Addresses That Change every Few Years Google My Business & Google Maps 1
djbaxter Bugs and things not working as expected in Xenforo 2.2 Forum Software Updates and Technical Issues 4
S Buying reviews, is this a real thing? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
bruce@brucejone Optimizing Images For GMB - Things Have Changed Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Barb Davids Are cities and zip codes in the footer still a thing? Local Search 2
LocalSEODat Hey Gang - if you get high volume of reviews and only reply to positive ones, is that a bad thing? Local Reviews 2
M Backlinking Citations: Is this a "Thing"? Local Search 8
freerunr Interesting Things in Local Finder: Question Mark and "Write a Review" Google News: Important Changes & Features 2
R Free Webinar: 15 Things You Must Do to Improve Your Google My Business Rank in 2019 Events 2
Chaddow Strange things happening with review responses around the world Google My Business & Google Maps 13
Jim Froling Joining This Forum Is The Best Thing You Have Done Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 7
cd2 Are Hashtags in Google My Business Posts STILL a Good Thing? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
JoyHawkins _ Things to do in 2016 for Local SEO Post Drafts (Private) 0
JoyHawkins Is there Such Thing as a Description Penalty? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Dustybones STUDY: 5 Things We See With The New Local Pack Local Search 7
Dustybones Is It a Bad Thing If You Don't Change Your Clients To HTTPS? Organic SEO 5
Linda Buquet 5 Things that Annoy the Heck out of Your Local SEO Clients - RU Guilty? Consultant's Corner 3
Linda Buquet 10 Things I Learned About Local SEO In 2014 - Andrew Shotland Local Search 0
Linda Buquet 12 Things To Check In Your Local Homepage SEO Audit + 2 Warnings Local Search 4
Linda Buquet 5 Things You Need To Be Doing Post Pigeon Local Search 0
Dustybones 7 things businesss do that can hurt local rankings Local Search 0
Linda Buquet 10 Things That Scare You if you do Local SEO - Be Very Afraid! Local Search 1
Linda Buquet 7 Things I?ve Figured Out About The New Google Maps Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Things That Help and Hurt SEO Organic SEO 3
Nick.SEOSpark 10 Things SEOs & SMBs Should Know About New Google Places Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Chris Ratchford Strange thing going on in SERPs with client's website Organic SEO 3
S Funny Things With Places Lately? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Colan Nielsen InfoUsa - Odd Thing Happening Citations 13
Linda Buquet Google Launches NEW Things To Do In... Tourist Attraction Image Bar in SERPS Local Search 5
Tim Colling Is Google Playing the Long Game with SMB Websites? Local Search 4
Priya Chandra Do you have SMB clients in the San Francisco Bay Area? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
D Any experiences with the Google Business View, the 360 degree photo tour of an smb Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Dustybones 5 steps SMB?s can take to compete with large companies in the local market Local Search 1
H 60% of consumers never make it to SMB website - find info elsewhere Local Search 4
L 100 Dynamite Ideas for SMB Blog Posts - Get Those Clients Blogging! Local Content 0
Linda Buquet 100 Dynamite Ideas for SMB Blog Posts - Get Those Clients Blogging! Local Content 0