More threads by luischavez0104

Solutions
Reaction score
Hi, one of our companies is acquiring another company and turning it into one of their locations. Would it be better to update the existing GBP information to make it the new company or mark the listing as closed and start from scratch? the company they are acquiring does have a bad star rating if that helps the decision making process. What are the pros and cons for each option?
Thanks!!

If you look at GBP's guidelines, it's an easy decision:

Your Business Profile may be eligible for rebranding (defined as an eligible name change without creating a new Business Profile) if you make a minor name change, in which the proper nouns and services described in the business name remain unchanged and the business category remains unchanged.

You may also be eligible for rebranding if you have multiple locations and the business name changes.

If your business meets the rebranding criteria above, you can update your business name when you edit your business information.

If your business changes its name but doesn't meet the criteria above, then it's considered a new business. You must mark the existing Business Profile as closed and then create a new Business Profile with your new business name.

If you look at GBP's guidelines, it's an easy decision:

Your Business Profile may be eligible for rebranding (defined as an eligible name change without creating a new Business Profile) if you make a minor name change, in which the proper nouns and services described in the business name remain unchanged and the business category remains unchanged.

You may also be eligible for rebranding if you have multiple locations and the business name changes.

If your business meets the rebranding criteria above, you can update your business name when you edit your business information.

If your business changes its name but doesn't meet the criteria above, then it's considered a new business. You must mark the existing Business Profile as closed and then create a new Business Profile with your new business name.

Thank you for this! What if the company being acquired has one location and the company acquiring already has multiple locations?

I believe it's not eligible as Google advises if you have multiple locations and the business name changes, which in my opinion means if the rebranding affects all locations, for example if Burger King was rebranded to Burger Joint.

A couple things to consider. If you take over and also have the same phone number then Google may merge the listings at a later time.

If a customer is searching "med spa near me" for example the permanently closed listing may continue to show up and filter out the new listing you created. Over time this will not be an issue as Google will delete the listing from maps. Some listings do take months to get removed. The new listing as it generates interactions and reviews will most likely begin to outrank the old listing.

I do prefer to update a old listing but if the reviews are really bad I can understand the hesitation. Sometimes I suggest for my clients to reply to the old reviews that the business is under new management with the new name.

A couple things to consider. If you take over and also have the same phone number then Google may merge the listings at a later time.

If a customer is searching "med spa near me" for example the permanently closed listing may continue to show up and filter out the new listing you created. Over time this will not be an issue as Google will delete the listing from maps. Some listings do take months to get removed. The new listing as it generates interactions and reviews will most likely begin to outrank the old listing.

I do prefer to update a old listing but if the reviews are really bad I can understand the hesitation. Sometimes I suggest for my clients to reply to the old reviews that the business is under new management with the new name.

Hi, we are buying are a large multilocation foundation repair company and the company we are buying does basement waterproofing. It will be completely different website, phone number, branding etc.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom