NevenaIvanova

Reaction score
Hello,

I would need your advice with an interesting case I have with one of my clients.

So far in my practice in GMB dashboard, I have been avoiding to utilize additional phone numbers, yet as of recent I started to believe that this may be not a bad idea at all.

Now straight to my question - my clients have an official phone line that is currently listed on the official website and GMB dashboard. The phone has the relevant area code of the city the business is located in. Recently they updated a different phone number in the social media and I advised them to equalize it with the official line, to retain the details consistency. They explained that they updated this number to connect with WhatsApp to make people easier to reach them and they would like to keep the official line in the GMB account. It should be noted that the phone for WhatsApp connection doesn't have the city's area code.

So, do you think that it's reasonable to add the second phone number as an additional line in GMB?

Please share your thoughts :)

Best,
Nevena

Phil Rozek

Local Search Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
@NevenaIvanova, yes, I'd say it is fine to add the 2nd, newer number as an additional line in GMB. Won't help or hurt rankings.

The only caveat: you'll probably want to use the 1st, older phone number on the non-Google listings: Yelp, YP, Facebook, and so on. In other words, the "official" number shouldn't appear only on GMB and on the website, but rather as often as possible

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Additional Phone Number option Google My Business & Google Maps 14
Adzzup Inc Additional phone numbers not displaying on G Listing Help & Support for Google Local 0
liorenda Additional operating hours Google My Business & Google Maps 4
nathangdavidson Competitor has added additional GMB profile for their home address, allowed? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
SydneyMarchuk Issue When Adding Additional Service Areas Service Area Businesses 3
M GMB Additional Categories Removed NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
BenFisher New: GMB Dashboard Ungroups Primary and Additional Categories NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
AndySimpson Get localized SERPs at an exact location without any additional tools - Fake Your Location! Local Search 27
Tim Colling Additional review scores in GMB from sources that just scrape Google reviews Google My Business & Google Maps 2
T Client Getting Review Spammed Like Crazy - Any Additional Tips? Local Reviews 11
R Additional Links in Google Knowledge Card Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Tim Colling Have specific examples of penalties for using Regus centers as "additional offices"? Local Search 15
Linda Buquet NEW - GMB Locations Bulk Import Summary per @rustybrick - Nice Addition! Google My Business & Google Maps 0
M Additional links showing in the SERPs Local Search 1
Mike Wilton Additional Details: Have You Ever Seen Anything Like This? Is there a benefit? Google Local 101 2
S Rebranding With Addition of New Office Moving or Name Changes 4
Scott Rawlins Rebranding With Addition of New Office Moving or Name Changes 4
grantbrott Additional Details Section Help & Support for Google Local 1
Andrew Forster Local Site Builder - Landing Page + Additional Pages Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Barb Davids Phone number not local area code Moving or Name Changes 2
walkities Multi Location Using Same Phone Number? Local Search 2
0 Primary Owner hospitalized and has a stroke. Need to add myself as a manager. Verifying via phone calls only grants me Site Manager access. Help & Support for Google Local 2
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
FriarTuck00 Question Regarding GMB Listings and Phone Numbers Multi-Location Issues 3
M Can I Use Google Voice for Google My Business Phone Number? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Changing phone number on individual location GMBs NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
LaurenHoward Mobile SERPs showing wrong phone number on GMB NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 4
bryanrainey GMB Phone Number for Franchises NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
Adam C. Google Ads Phone Support Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
W Incorrect Phone Number NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
MonicaH Phone # keeps being rejected Google My Business & Google Maps 18
H How would you interpret increasing discovery views, decreasing phone calls? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
ganapathy Default Google Ads Extension Phone Number (Advanced information section) in GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
TriciaClements Business Phone Number Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Ryan Steinolfson Practitioner's Page - Using a Cell Phone number for the listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Tim Colling What to do when you've verified your phone number for too many Google accounts? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
freerunr GMB Guidelines: phone number must be under the direct control of the business Google My Business & Google Maps 2
shripadd Some one doing daily edit to primary phone number Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Scott ClientClicks GMB phone support? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
NevenaIvanova Can shared phone number lead to listing suspension? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
V Local Services Ad: Does using a different phone number in local services ad effect the organic ranking for my site Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
JoshuaMackens GMB Ads - Call Tracking Phone Number Paid Search and Local Service Ads 6
FriarTuck00 Google Keeps Changing Phone Number on Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 5
J Using the phone number of the previous local business Citations 5
A Different local pack results on Android phone and iphone Local Search 9
erickseo Does having a tracking phone number as primary instead of our regular phone number hurt ranking? Local Search 13
LisaB Gmail Phone Verification Goes to Landline Google My Business & Google Maps 0
H Change GMB Verification from Postcard to Phone Local Search 8
C Non-personalized results from mobile searches on your phone Help & Support for Google Local 6
EmilyW Yellow Pages: change phone number to claim? Local Search 3