More threads by Martin

Martin

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a small carpentry business in Bristol UK It as always had good SEO on GMB. I am now moving to a small town called Frome, (25 miles away from Bristol ), I want to keep the first business going in Bristol as I am selling the leads to a friend and later hope to sell the business.
I want to set up a new business with ideally the same name (or almost the same) in Frome I also want to Ideally use the same mobile number and same website.
My questions are if I do this will it affect the GMB page of the first business? If it does would it help if I had a different phone number but same website address?
As a British person, 25miles away is a long distance but I know by US standards this would be considered close by!:)

Hi Martin,

If you plan on having the same business name for your second location, and the new location is in a place where competition isn't huge, it would be ok to have on the same website. You will need a contact page for that location, and preferably a landing page with content that highlights what is unique about that area and location as well. There are lots of resources out there that have great advice for setting up a multi location site. Here's an oldie, but goodie: Top 5 Issues Wrecking Local SEO For Multi-Location Businesses - Search Engine Land

You will definitely need a unique phone number for the new location - you do not want to publish the same Name and phone with two different street addresses. If the phone number is unique, and there is a GMB page for the second location that does not target the same service area of the first, your original listing should be ok.

Hi Folks,
I have a small carpentry business in Bristol UK It as always had good SEO on GMB. I am now moving to a small town called Frome, (25 miles away from Bristol ), I want to keep the first business going in Bristol as I am selling the leads to a friend and later hope to sell the business.
I want to set up a new business with ideally the same name (or almost the same) in Frome I also want to Ideally use the same mobile number and same website.
My questions are if I do this will it affect the GMB page of the first business? If it does would it help if I had a different phone number but same website address?
As a British person, 25miles away is a long distance but I know by US standards this would be considered close by!:)

You should be clear.

A unique phone number will guarantee no issues but I've seen listings use the same phone number for all locations and be fine.

Keep in mind what you're describing is actually against Google's TOS. You're not operating an office in your old location anymore with staff it sounds like, which is required for GMB pages. But I would probably do the same thing in your position.

Many thanks, for both your speedy answers, this has been really helpful. I think to be on the safe side I will get a second phone number.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom