Former Member

Reaction score
Does allowing comments and trackbacks on our Wordpress pages help ranking?

I know that allowing comments on our Youtube videos has helped and I'm wondering if there's any correlation here.

Thoughts?

RobinOctane

Reaction score
Following....

I asked this very question recently. Because if it's a wordpress.com site how could it hurt right?

Laustin1878

Reaction score
Comments allow content to be added to a post. If you can get a healthy comment string going by people who are not trying to spam your comments (like many do) you are adding FREE content to your pages. The healthier the discussion, the more value being added to that page for FREE. This is of course if your comments are followed. Make sure you enable the ability to moderate comments so you dont have bots spamming at will.

I cannot speak about trackbacks but I've enabled them and have not really seen much come from this. Comments also create transparency. Facebook is great for giving your business dimension but keeping this type of discussion onsite is more beneficial for your site.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
There is also a 'freshness' factor in the algo. In fact I've read some in organic circles lately say the freshness factor is cranked too high and freshness can give you too much of an edge. (hint hint) :D

So I would think comments add freshness. You posted an article last week BUT folks are still adding comments this week and next, that's additional fresh content.

I would think it's also a signal of popularity to the algo.

Trackbacks are fine and can help encourage links. As long are you aren't just getting spammy trackbacks. BUT you can't really control that. Even if you didn't allow trackbacks that would not prevent spammy sites from linking to you if they want to.

Laustin1878

Reaction score
Another important thing to remember which Linda mentioned, you have no control over who links to you. Google cannot (I guess used loosely) penalize you for inbound links unless they look like they've been purchased. Paid links, link farms, spinning content, etc. may get you caught up.

Linking out to bad neighborhoods is what can get you into trouble.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A Help Client gets "Invitation failed (Role not allowed)" when trying to add Organization ID Help & Support for Google Local 6
bhartzer Watermarks allowed in photos? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Any tools or platforms that allow for editing and posting across multiple locations/branches? Google My Business & Google Maps 11
hajnasiewicz GMB Listings Allowed for Grocery: Private Label Brands Service Area Businesses 2
djbaxter Google Allows a Custom List of Services to GMB Listings Service Area Businesses 14
JoyHawkins Google Maps Allows Users to Report Spammy Users Google News: Important Changes & Features 16
nathangdavidson Competitor has added additional GMB profile for their home address, allowed? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
R Joy allowed me to interview her on my podcast Google My Business & Google Maps 7
L Google now allows Site Owners to Customize the Search Results Snippets, but what can be customized? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
A Flea Market Baseball Card Seller - Allowed? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
dannanelli Are agencies allow to hold Google Analytics account data hostage? Local SEO Tools & Software 11
Dan Foland Google No Longer Allowing Tracking Numbers In GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 16
H Yelp wont allow review responses unless you have a profile photo with a face Local Reviews 4
Greg Schueler Are Virtual Offices Allowed on Google My Business? Service Area Businesses 54
L Are reciprocal google reviews allowed ? Local Reviews 6
L Maintaining consistant NAP when citation sites dont allow you to write correct name ? Local Search 1
BenFisher Google My Business now allowing regulated industries Google My Business & Google Maps 1
J GMB Dashboard (no longer allows "apply to all") Google My Business & Google Maps 5
heckler Brand + Geo-term in URL not allowed? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Phil Rozek Google finally allows true-blue anonymous reviews? Local Reviews 5
Linda Buquet GMB Terms of Service Update: Multiple Owners Now Allowed Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Priya Chandra A new tool that allows people to find YouTube videos by location Marketing 2
C Listing Services That Allow You To Control Which Directories Citations 3
Dustybones Google Now Allows You To Leave Reviews on Mobile Local Reviews 10
Dustybones Google Trends Now allows you to subscribe to any search topic Local Search 0
C Header and Footer PHP Files won't allow diff NAP/Schema Local Search 2
Jo Shaer Are SABs allowed to have a G+ Social page now? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet GUIDELINE CHANGE - City or Keyword in Places Title Allowed Now Google My Business & Google Maps 23
Linda Buquet 17 Sites that Allow Anonymous Reviews Local Search 1
A Are you allowed to have location in business name on Google+ local/business? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Optimize Prime Google allowing Management of Places Listings. Can anyone else confirm? Google My Business & Google Maps 12
K Report a problem not working - "Editing of this feature is not allowed" Help & Support for Google Local 10
M Custom domain blog site - after ranking, how much new client info is allowed? Local Search 2
m_j_gregory Google Allowing Images In Reviews? Local Search 7
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Can Changing a Listings' Ownership delete the Comments? Local Search 2
T Will GMB consider a review placed by a customer who was taken to court for a Judgement recovered by the business as Spam or Fake Comment? Local Reviews 1
Jared NAP In Comments = Citation? Citations 2
Linda Buquet The NEW Google Plus: Tutorial by Ana Hoffman & Important Comments from other Leaders Google My Business & Google Maps 1
JoshuaMackens Overstock's Comment on Paid Search Local Search 0
M Removed comments from Training thread Recycle Bin 3
R G+ Posts and YouTube Comments Google My Business & Google Maps 3
R Comment Spamming NAP Citations Spam on Google 4
djbaxter Post or comment? Mod Squad 7