More threads by cfazio

cfazio

Reaction score
Hello!

I am curious what you all have found as the best way to check if a backlinking page is index in Google.

Was told that Google does not always display accurate information when doing a check such as "site: " or "inurl: " - simply because there is a cost associated with displaying results in the SERP (in terms of power, storage etc - super small but adds up over time). Google knows that users doing those type of searches are not actually looking for content in the results rather just a check for pages being indexed or not.

Because of this Google may not be displaying correct results when using these methods of checking for indexed pages.

I noticed that out of ~50 pages with links on them that I checked (all directory listings) my index checker tool (which uses both site: and inurl: ) says 0% are indexed BUT GSC is showing 10-20 of these pages as backlinks for the website.

It would seem their is some truth to this, if your backlinking page is showing up in GSC - its indexed right - regardless of what a manual check says?

Has anyone had experience with this?

Last edited:
I personally use "site:", but you could also take a random sentence or two from the article, put it in quotes, and Google that.

In Google, search using the word cache: in front of the URL. No spaces
like cache:Default title | Domain.com That will give you either a yes or a no answer. Yes= a gray bar at the top showing the date and time the page was last indexed by Google or No= a 404 error. In bulk I use this tool Google Index Checker SEO tool

Capture.JPG

Hello!

I am curious what you all have found as the best way to check if a backlinking page is index in Google.

Was told that Google does not always display accurate information when doing a check such as "site: " or "inurl: " - simply because there is a cost associated with displaying results in the SERP (in terms of power, storage etc - super small but adds up over time). Google knows that users doing those type of searches are not actually looking for content in the results rather just a check for pages being indexed or not.

Because of this Google may not be displaying correct results when using these methods of checking for indexed pages.

I noticed that out of ~50 pages with links on them that I checked (all directory listings) my index checker tool (which uses both site: and inurl: ) says 0% are indexed BUT GSC is showing 10-20 of these pages as backlinks for the website.

It would seem their is some truth to this, if your backlinking page is showing up in GSC - its indexed right - regardless of what a manual check says?

Has anyone had experience with this?

https://www.linkody.com/en/seo-tools/google-index-checker/ <-- error 404: page not found

In Google, search using the word cache: in front of the URL. No spaces
like cache:Default title | Domain.com That will give you either a yes or a no answer. Yes= a gray bar at the top showing the date and time the page was last indexed by Google or No= a 404 error. In bulk I use this tool Google Index Checker SEO tool

Capture.JPG

Wow, never knew about this, awesome.

The tool that you recommended, I imagine it uses this method to check for indexation?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom