Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Those of us that work in Local Search daily, know what a scrambled mess Google local data can be and Apple maps is even worse. I have to give Google some credit and say managing the world's business data CAN'T be easy and when you look at the big picture and the deeper map structure and everything they do with streetview cars and all - it's a HUGE undertaking and they do a pretty good job. However when you deal with businesses with scrambled data, dupes and merges it can be a pretty big nightmare to deal with.

Damian Rollison, VP of Product and Technology at UBL just penned a really good piece over at StreetFight
I wanted to highlight and share because it has some great suggestions for Google.

Memo to Google: Solve the Local Data Problem With Local Data

As I’ve mentioned before, a significant percentage (probably the majority) of business listing content in online applications still ultimately comes from keyed yellow page books. In an ironic twist, the very outmoded medium that has historically done the best job of reaching out directly to the business to source local content is at the root of a process that treats the local community as something of an afterthought.

Yes, many businesses have claimed their listing on Google Places, now Google+ Local. The percentage of overall businesses who have taken this step, however, remains low — perhaps as many as 10 million globally or 15% of all businesses. I think we can now state definitively that the big upsurge in claimed listings that might have occurred as a result of Google’s choice to embed local listings within its social network, a little over five months ago, will not happen on its own…

As Google is the de facto model for local content today and the most prominent place for a business to be listed, here are a few steps within the search giant’s power to better harness local content from local sources...

So go read the rest over at StreetFight.

One of the solutions Damian mentioned was "Enable Trusted Third Parties to Claim Google Listings on Behalf of Business Owners." Sort of like the Premier SMB Partner program for AdWords.

One of our members Matt Gregory, just started a new post about that specific topic. So head over to discuss it in that thread: Premier SMB Partnership For Local?

What do you think about the rest of this article? Any other ideas about how Google could clean up local data and do it better than they are now?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Professor M Google Maps and Google My Business Big Changes - Google Maps Local News Feed Google My Business & Google Maps 26
Linda Buquet How Big an Impact Does Social Media Play in Google Local Results? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
B Are Google+Local Pages Stuck with the Big Map? Help & Support for Google Local 2
Linda Buquet Google+ Local CODE FREEZE? Big Update Coming? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
A Big Issue with Google Map Rankings For Everyone Local Search 9
FriarTuck00 Big Jump in Number of Google Reviews - Why? Local Reviews 3
djbaxter Google: Duplicate meta descriptions no big deal Organic SEO 0
Gsmithmike Is Google messing with Search Results Big Time? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
RobinOctane What Would You Do? Leased Location vs Home Office, Big 3 vs Google Local Search 7
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
L Big Drop in the number of new reviews made by customers Local Reviews 1
MarianoF Trending [November 5, 2019 Local Algorithm Update] Unexplained big drops in GMB rankings Google Algorithm Discussions 216
valentinb13 Big jump in campaign sessions after site relaunch Local Search 6
eshad Seen a big drop in views on GMB insights? Local Search 19
vinchenson Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Recycle Bin 0
ForwardMotion Changed to SAB and Traffic Dropped Big Time Service Area Businesses 26
JoyHawkins BBB Makes Big Change to Review Display Local Reviews 1
G How do the big SEO firms achieve results so fast and economical for clients? Local Search 16
H Still Grappling with the BIG change in 301 redirect rules. . . Local Search 9
Marcus Sudden big drop in ranking Local Search 13
Tim Colling Big news for me Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 10
J My ranking suddenly dropped big Google My Business & Google Maps 4
C Criteria For Some Businesses Getting the Big Red Marker? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Ajay Prasad A big hello from California! This is Ajay. Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 6
JoyHawkins A Big Marketing Opportunity Most SMBs & Local Consultants Miss Local Search 9
Linda Buquet Hey Big Spender! What Industries Spend the Most on Local Search + Get the Best Return Local Search 3
Linda Buquet Best of Local @ the Local Search Forum: The Big 2014 Countdown Local Search 8
Linda Buquet Pigeon Factors - 5,000 Page Case Study and a Big Takeaway Google My Business & Google Maps 11
mattramos Anybody else see a big decrease in views on July 2nd? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
S Client with a BIG problem hope you can help Help & Support for Google Local 13
Linda Buquet Big List of Local SEO Tools Local SEO Tools & Software 4
Linda Buquet Why ?Barnacle SEO? Is Making A Big Comeback In Local - David Mihm Local Search 3
D Big Problems Using &'s in Business Name? Local Search 7
Linda Buquet Big List Citation Building Strategies Citations 12
D Hyper local media goes viral and may turn a disaster into a big long term positive Mobile & Social 1
Linda Buquet BIG New Problem? Businesses Getting MOVED by Mistake? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
C Working With Big Brand Insurance Agent Help & Support for Google Local 11
R big and tall seattle mariners Recycle Bin 0
david.victor Attribute used as Category by Google on Maps NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 0
M Google Search Console Errors "Coverage and Breadcrumbs"? Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Lachlan_Wells Accept/Discard Google Updates - Does this feature work for you? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
E "Duplicate" Profile That Google Claims We Already Manage? Google Duplicates & Merges 1
T Can a Credit Union Create Google Posts Without Falling Under Prohibited Content? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 0
JamesGreenaway Google Insights query Google My Business & Google Maps 1
RobertCarnitas Google Posts Live on GMB, But Not Showing in GMB Dashboard Google My Business & Google Maps 1
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NexstarNickR Google Star Rating: LSA vs. GMB All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
Phil Rozek Google Maps reviews get "New" label for reviews less than 1 month old Local Reviews 5
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6