More threads by Pinkape404

Reaction score
I am sure this issue has been beaten to death, but a few more kicks might save me or future readers some time otherwise spent doing more meaningful work.

So here is my question - is there a guide or framework - the "best practices" approach if you will that one can use as a reference in attempting to tackle the organic SEO monster. Specifically I am looking for some source that can explain or provides a structure for link building, keyword optimization, both onsite and offsite.

The issue in case currently is - blogging : should it be done using our google + local pages or blogger or website? Should we include links within the blog and If so then where to and where from? Our website, Facebook, linked in profiles, Santa Clause? Perhaps our Wordpress sites are a sufficient platform to blog in as well as showcase the clients company and there is no need to publish redundant content just for the purpose of publishing?

I think one day google will self implode or turn into Hal ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure this issue has been beaten to death, but a few more kicks might save me or future readers some time otherwise spent doing more meaningful work.

So here is my question - is there a guide or framework - the "best practices" approach if you will that one can use as a reference in attempting to tackle the organic SEO monster. Specifically I am looking for some source that can explain or provides a structure for link building, keyword optimization, both onsite and offsite.

The issue in case currently is - blogging : should it be done using our google + local pages or blogger or website? Should we include links within the blog and If so then where to and where from? Our website, Facebook, linked in profiles, Santa Clause? Perhaps our Wordpress sites are a sufficient platform to blog in as well as showcase the clients company and there is no need to publish redundant content just for the purpose of publishing?

I think one day google will self implode or turn into Hal ..

Your blog needs to be native on your website. You could do it on a web 2.0 (blogger, etc.) and link back to your website but it will help more if it is native, in my opinion.

You can link within the blog but I would make the links all nofollow, just to be safe. Make sure you are linking out to authority sites on topic. Many people have conjectured that this will raise your ranking and while I agree, I think it will only slightly help your ranking. I think it makes sense that quality websites provide their readers with more information but I think the signal is too easily gamed to be a big factor. I wouldn't even worry that much about it. Just link to quality sources that will improve your overall blog post for the user.

As far as content topic, your blog really serves 2 main SEO purposes:

1) To provide fresh, relevant content. The more content you have, the higher you will rank in general terms.

2) To attract links from other people because your articles are so well done.

Write content that people want to read and will share around and you'll be good.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Thank you Joshua - very concise response and I like your approach about being user relevant. I guess at the end of the day - ranking or not - our goal is to provide user relevant content. I'm glad you mentioned this because benchmarking the site, any site, against "How friendly and effective is the content for the user" puts things in a much clearer perspective versus, let's say; "how google would want it". I think the former approach is a no fail. Thoughts?

Write content that people want to read and will share around and you'll be good.

And excerpt and/or link to!

Best source of good quality links has always been organic links from people who like what you write and see it as helpful to their readers.

Thank you Joshua - very concise response and I like your approach about being user relevant. I guess at the end of the day - ranking or not - our goal is to provide user relevant content. I'm glad you mentioned this because benchmarking the site, any site, against "How friendly and effective is the content for the user" puts things in a much clearer perspective versus, let's say; "how google would want it". I think the former approach is a no fail. Thoughts?

No problem big guy!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom