More threads by Rich Owings

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to rank a business that has installers in dozens of metro areas in the US, but no local offices. Organic seems to be a stretch when you're far away from the home office. One option I'm looking at is self-hosted videos leading to a local landing page, hoping to get on page one with a video thumbnail. There's not a lot of competition; their search terms don't even bring up a 7-pack in many cities. Any ideas?

Hi Rich,

Can you provide a little more detail? What industry are you talking about?

If you can share specific business details I can move this thread to the help section where it might get some more eyeballs.

Thanks Colan. They are commercial roofers.

Well to rank in local they need a Place page and can't have one of those if they are just installers.

So video seems like a smart way to go. Video is much easier to rank for city KW even if you are not located there, than a regular organic listing is I think.

Check this thread for tons of info:
<a href="http://localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com/local-search/13647-hardcore-video-search-engine-optimization-resources-local.html">Hardcore Video SEO Resources with a Local Search Emphasis</a>

Those are great resources. Thanks so much for pointing them out.

Digging in a little deeper, I'm trying to decide if we should do YouTube videos or self-hosted (so that a search result with video thumbnail will go to the company's site). I'm not sure if the latter is worth the extra time and effort.

Rich,

If you want to rank FAST, Youtube will get you there way quicker than a self-hosted video. Self-hosted video ranking is going to depend a lot on your domain authority, which of course will be tiny compared to Youtube.

Depending on competition, sometimes just putting up a video will rank. Now with commercial roofing (I do a lot of service business SEO), you're going to need more than that. You'll need views, likes, comments, links, and embeds.

If you need more help, let me know.

Matt

Thanks Matt. That makes perfect sense. If the client opts for a video strategy, I'm sure we will pursue YouTube rather than self-hosted videos.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom