Reaction score
Hey guys. So my business has two different dashboards that are accessible to me: the old places page and a new Google + page. When I sign into Google's places website, it takes me to the old dashboard. However, on my personal Google + page, apparently I've setup a Google+ business page and can access that through my personal Google+ page.

When my listing shows up on maps, it directs people to the new Google + page. What should I do??? Does this affect my rankings?? It seems like the old place page is dead for me, none of the changes I set through there ever populate. Should I delete the old page?

Thanks!

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Should I delete the old page?

No don't delete! Then your ranking will totally disappear. The Place page is the only page that ranks on maps. A plain G+ page does not even show up on maps at all.

So you rank based on the combination page - Places + G+. Even though it looks like a G+ page inside, it's also a Place page.

Did you do the old way of manually merging the 2?

If so, after you merge that way Google said you are not supposed to edit in the Places dash.

Which is part of the reason Google also had been saying NOT to manually merge. But if you did, then you should only be editing in G+.

Reaction score
I believe I did merge them manually a while back. The issue I had was that after making changes on my local place page, I wasn't seeing the changes propagate in the search results.

Also, when I try to login to my places page, it takes me to the dead page. Will that disappear automatically?

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Also, when I try to login to my places page, it takes me to the dead page. Will that disappear automatically?

You mean when you log into Places it takes you to the Place page?

It should and no it won't go away and you don't want it to. It's merged into your G+ page and like I said it's the only reason your G+ page is ranking.

It's not dead, again you just are not supposed to be making changes there after a manual merge. Only edit on G+ now.

If you had not manually merged then Google would have auto-upgraded you and then you could edit either page, but not the way you did it.

Reaction score
Hi Linda I had a client that had his listing in the old dashboard and could make changes there or in G+ dash. They weren't ranking in maps. Called support and they told me to delete the listing in the old dash. After doing so a few days later and he's now ranking.

Would his listing already have been merged prior to deleting it and that's why it didn't affect the rankings adversely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Not sure Chris don't have enough details but that does not seem right to me.

I think I'm missing some info, but in the purest sense, if you had a merged Place page in old dash and G+ page and if you then deleted the Place page, you would be left with a pure G+ page. G+ pages don't rank in maps.

Maybe it was dual claimed and that's why it was not ranking and why they told you to delete the listing you were managing?

Reaction score
I too was just talking with Google Support. Was showing old dashboard and New. Support told me to just delete the listings in the old dashboard. Still not touching them...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Creativedge 20-year-old Business disappeared from "More Places" Help & Support for Google Local 9
B Business Claimed in Old Google Places Dash--Shows Up Unclaimed in New Google Places Google My Business & Google Maps 2
S Old Listing Hijacked by another business Spam on Google 2
K GMB Adding Old Business Name & Putting True Name in Parathesis Only In English Browser Google My Business & Google Maps 1
jpayne7 Business Moved Before GMB Verification (Postcard is Being Sent to Old Location) Moving or Name Changes 7
Antonio 4500 plus reviews suspended for a 26-year-old hotel business. Local Reviews 17
DanielTexasLira Business acquires another business. Should I rename the old GMB listing or label it as "Permanently Closed"? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
valentinb13 Current business GMB not showing up—Old Business is Google Duplicates & Merges 8
Ben Walsh GMB business name keeps getting reverted back to old name after branding change Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
Cordell Crowley Removing an old business from Yellowpages? Citations 3
Aly Kurtz Two Business Listings (1 old, 1 new) For Same Business Moving or Name Changes 5
djbaxter Business still shows in two locations, one old and closed Google My Business & Google Maps 24
Christa Morgante Google My Business: Missing listings stuck in old dash. Help & Support for Google Local 12
KungFuBacklinks Old G+ Business Page (Local Type) and Proper Verified G+ Local Listing Help & Support for Google Local 3
L Business Name not Displaying - Old Maps Help & Support for Google Local 5
Leigh Old business address on unclaimed google+ local page question Help & Support for Google Local 3
djbaxter Google My Business Bug Dropping SAB Businesses In Independence, Kansas Service Area Businesses 0
rickvidallon How Do You Access The Buttons In Google My Business For Online Services? Local Search 4
NevenaIvanova Removing off-topic reviews posted before the business started operation Local Reviews 8
N What category should be selected for such business in GMB? Google My Business & Google Maps 6
JoyHawkins Get Live Inventory Displayed on Your Google My Business Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
Niki Business category does not support more hours Help & Support for Google Local 2
TriciaClements 3 Businesses - how to handle GMB listings for SAB? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Matt Chauhan Opinion on entering service areas within the GMB dashboard for Brick and Mortar Businesses NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 2
krystaltaing Google My Business Bulk Verification Limit Reached? Multi-Location Issues 0
RobertCarnitas GMB Spam for 'Located In' business - Does it affect the GMB listing for the business that is located inside it? Spam on Google 3
D Local Services and Google my Business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
Rich Owings Google community challenge to update 100,000 businesses Google My Business & Google Maps 0
R What steps should I take to get my suspended and denied Google My business approved? Help & Support for Google Local 1
Jac Google My business Photos - Uploaded but not reflecting on contribution page Google My Business & Google Maps 3
AndySimpson Google My Business Opening Date - What Date Should You Use? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jason_Parks1 Years in Business (Misleading) - Thoughts? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Matt Chauhan How to deal with a business merger? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
dateinadash SAB location no longer appears next to my business Service Area Businesses 1
NevenaIvanova Need help with business detail update of a Chinese business Local Search 3
djbaxter Google Maps Removed 55M Reviews & 3M Fake Business Profiles Spam on Google 4
L Does selecting a service area for hidden address business have negative effects? Moving or Name Changes 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
S How to remove a GMB from maps of a previous owner who ran 3 businesses from the same address Google My Business & Google Maps 6
P How to reclassify a business as a SAB? Service Area Businesses 8
buzzrank Home inspector business category not available in Canada, but local competitors have NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 3
C Fake google reviews on google my business Contact Us Messages 2
U Google showing location of Service Area Business Service Area Businesses 2
Lluc Google launches Years in Business in Search Google My Business & Google Maps 3
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
lincolnchan What to do when one business acquires another and moves into their location? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Stef Kiley Temp closed business ranking higher in local pack Help & Support for Google Local 2
NickB-Tampa How can I unsync Google My Business from my Bing Places listings? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
F Turkish post: Google My Business local seo Recycle Bin 0
Koray Tuğberk GÜBÜR Two Different Business Places at the Same Address: Should I Add Them to GMB? Local Search 1