More threads by FriarTuck00

Reaction score
I have a client who says that she gets multiple calls/day on her private cell phone from people via Google Maps. She says that people search for the company and when they tap the "Call" button, it rings to her cell phone. We manage this business's listing on GMB and I have confirmed that her cell number is not listed on it. In the process, I also found 2 duplicate listings (neither of which had her cell number displaying). I did a search in Google Maps for her phone number and came up with bupkis. I did a search on Google for her number and only 5 results appeared. Any ideas on where or how her cell number may be appearing in Google Maps?

It may not be Google maps that they're finding it on. Have you done a search on google for the cell phone number? Maybe they're finding it on Mapquest or Apple Map or other locations and not particularly with Google Maps itself.

It may not be Google maps that they're finding it on. Have you done a search on google for the cell phone number? Maybe they're finding it on Mapquest or Apple Map or other locations and not particularly with Google Maps itself.

According to her, it is Google Maps. In fact, the most recent call was yesterday morning. She asked the person how he got the number and his response was the "google road maps". He said that two numbers came up when he searched for her company and he chose the first one, which rang to her cell.

I have not checked Apple Maps yet. I checked Mapquest and there's no instance of her number that I could find. I did a search on Google for the cell and out of the 5 results, the only result that had any connection to her business was a link from a BNI group.

Hmmm.... and there's no second phone number listed on the Google Maps either, or a Google Ads campaign with the number, or Google Services listing? Definitely would seem odd if when searching Google for the cell number it's not returning there either.

The other idea is that Google created it on their own and maybe imported a phone number from another service, but that would mean two listings are showing

I have a client who says that she gets multiple calls/day on her private cell phone from people via Google Maps. She says that people search for the company and when they tap the "Call" button, it rings to her cell phone. We manage this business's listing on GMB and I have confirmed that her cell number is not listed on it. In the process, I also found 2 duplicate listings (neither of which had her cell number displaying). I did a search in Google Maps for her phone number and came up with bupkis. I did a search on Google for her number and only 5 results appeared. Any ideas on where or how her cell number may be appearing in Google Maps?

She's probably running "call-only" Google Ads using her mobile number, or she's got a Call Extension setup in Google Ads or she's got a Location Extension setup in Google Ads both using her mobile number.

Bumping this because my client is still having issues with people calling her cell number via organic search and I have yet to be able to replicate it.

Anyone out there got any new ideas on how this might be happening?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom