More threads by marketingandai

Joined
Oct 4, 2026
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I ran a crawl of 2,474 independent small business websites around Houston to see what AI search tools can actually read on them, and a couple of things surprised me so I'm curious if others are seeing the same.

  • Only 31% passed four basics (AI search crawlers allowed in robots.txt, at least 120 words readable without JavaScript, business schema, one H1)
  • Almost nobody blocks AI on purpose. 1.6% in robots.txt, but when I tested sites that allow the bots, about 3.8% more blocked them at the firewall (mostly 403s from bot protection), so roughly 5% overall
  • 45% have no business schema at all, so nothing on the site confirms the NAP the citations are pointing at
  • 19% show almost no text before JavaScript runs. For restaurants it's a third of them, which to GPTBot/ClaudeBot/PerplexityBot is basically a blank page
  • 30% already have an llms.txt, but a lot of them are clearly generated by an SEO plugin

Two questions for the group:
  1. Are you seeing client sites get blocked at the CDN/firewall level without the owner knowing? I hadn't been checking for it until now.
  2. For local, is anyone tracking whether the JS-heavy sites (builder sites that load everything with scripts) are getting left out of AI answers more than others?

Happy to share more detail on how I tested any of these if it's useful.
 
llms.txt means literally nothing, as proven by every single test made about it. And No AI ingests schemas as anything else than base text, so I don't why either of those would be relevant in any shape or form to "AI readiness".
 

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

Events

LocalU

Our Brands

Back
Top Bottom