More threads by Michael S. Doran

Solutions
Reaction score
So I recently have started documenting the various methods for verifying citations that many of us use helping Google listings. I have posted what I have so far on my blog and I am sharing that here. I also have re-registered here under my real name instead of using the screen name that I used previously. I hope this helps others and look forward to discussing this subject more.

I am documenting the methods used by some common valuable listings and citations. While some verification must be done by mail, completed them is very straightforward. Simply wait 1-2 weeks for the mail to arrive and enter the code online. Many times the verification can be done by phone, which is a big time saver. When done by phone, there are two methods that typically are used.

1. The first phone verification is probably the most common and is used by Google. This method starts with an initiation on the computer, results in a phone call that provides a verification code to the person listening to the call and then the code must be entered on the computer.
  2. The second phone verification is less common and is used by YP.com which is owned by AT&T. This method starts with an initiation on the computer, results in a verification code being displayed on the computer and then is followed by a phone call that requires the code to be entered on the telephone keypad.
Sites that use method 1. are as follows:

• Google
  • Bing
  • Yahoo
  • Localeze
Sites that use method 2. are as follows:

• YP.com
  • Yelp
  • YellowBot

Citation Verification Methods

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice breakdown, Michael.

MyBusinessListingManager.com (AKA Acxiom) also requires the business owner to upload one of a variety of "acceptable" forms of documentation on the business.

Nyagoslav's excellent Citation-Building Guide also has a comprehensive breakdown, as I recall.

Express Update / Infogroup also use Phone verification.
Bing: If having issues with phone verifying several listings (business not being helpful or all phone numbers ring to all locations) I claim one and then contact live chat to claim rest through email.

Express Update / Infogroup also use Phone verification.
Bing: If having issues with phone verifying several listings (business not being helpful or all phone numbers ring to all locations) I claim one and then contact live chat to claim rest through email.

I find that the Bing chat support is very good. They are helpful and do their best to make things easy. One suggestion is to have access to an email available that uses a company domain, such as info@abcgroup.com, as they will often want to verify with a trustworthy email.

@Michael

I must be lucky, cause I keep getting Jerome from "Outside the united states" I haven't had the heart to tell him that I'm not all these doctors. That guy must have an incredibly heavy workload ;)

Thanks Ashwin, I was just reading that and was going to post it.

Appreciate the share!

NOTE: re Ashwin's link above. That post includes: "Verification methods on some 100+ citation sources. Thought it might be useful for peeps looking to claim client listings - there are 21 sites where you can claim listings without your client's involvement." (Quote from his G+ post.)

Just realized this thread is in the wrong forum though so moving to the citations forum to try to keep things more organized and citation info easier to find.

I just read the article. I must say that there are a few sites listed under "Sites that do not allow you to claim listings" that I have been able to claim without client involvement. Anybody else find that as well?

Which ones? I ran by them this week and couldn't find a way to claim listings. I'll amend the article accordingly.

Just a couple for now. I haven't gone through them all, but I was able to claim on ELocal and Fave.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom