More threads by TriciaClements

Reaction score
I am trying to claim a SAB and when I go to it on the Map, "Claim this listing" or "manage this Listing" are not available and when I try going to the GMB dashboard to add it, it's not coming up as an option and it trying to create a new listing. How do I find this option for this GMB Profile?

Backstory:
  • There were 2 businesses operating with the same name (different owners). Last month Biz 1 bought out Biz 2.
  • Previous owner for Biz 2 claimed their account a while ago, but they're not technical and I don't know what email they used to claim it.
  • I want to see what email they claimed it with and then have them remove it from their dashboard and then have Google remove it as a duplicate. We don't want to get any content or reviews transferred.
  • I'm concerned about getting the current listing for Biz 1 suspended as a duplicate because of how slow Google is with support right now and was hoping to get Biz 2 to be unclaimed and then simply have Google remove it as a duplicate.
Thanks!

when I try going to the GMB dashboard to add it, it's not coming up as an option and it trying to create a new listing.
it is normal as SABs do not appear when searching.

You need to go through the setup process, get the verification code, and after verification, you will get the Owner conflict message box and only then you can then request access.

@Professor M I had assumed that would create another duplicate listing since I'm not sure of all of the details they used when setting it up. Is there a way to make sure that I don't simply create an additional profile and create a mess?

Thank you!

@Professor M I had assumed that would create another duplicate listing since I'm not sure of all of the details they used when setting it up. Is there a way to make sure that I don't simply create an additional profile and create a mess?

Thank you!
@TriciaClements to avoid duplicates you need to click on "Own this business?" on Google Search and follow the procedure I described above

To note, SABs normally don't have "Claim this listing" or "manage this Listing" on Google Maps.

1635864190086.png

I wrote an article about the process if you want to follow step by step instructions: [2021] How To Claim A Business On Google That Is Already Claimed | Professor M - Google My Business Training & Resources

Hope it helps!

Last edited:
@Professor M That's my issue, "Own this Business?" isn't showing up on the profile. That's what I was originally looking for.

Would it be somewhere else? I've looked on mobile & desktop & won's see Own or Claim this listing.

Thank you!

that's very strange as the only cases I came across not being able to use "own this business" are well-known businesses.

Is it possible to advise the business name and location?
or attach a screenshot of the profile on Google Search? (business details can be blurred)

Last edited:
@Professor M Even though the owner of Biz 2 is not very technical, I am going to try to reach out and see if I can contact him another way and gain access and then contact Google to remove it.

Here's a screenshot. Usually, it's next to Suggest an edit. Thanks!

Screenshot_20211102-181835_Maps.jpg

Hi @TriciaClements
I believe the screenshot is from Google Maps App, as I said in a previous post, for SABs you will not find "own this business" in Google Maps or Google Maps app.

You have to use Google Search.

I will walk through an example you can use. I am using this SAB I found: "Top HVAC NYC".

On mobile, if you open an incognito window in Chrome,

then go to Google Search (google.com) and search for the business

1635931247606.png

once you find the profile, scroll down to the button: "more about business name"
tap on it
1635931565766.jpg

then you will find "Own this business?"

1635931432251.jpg

hope it helps

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom