More threads by dentalseo1

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Quick question: a client of mine who I am about to start working with forgot the login to their Gmail (and thus their Google+ profile, which is already verified as a local biz) and also their FB. Tried password recovery on the Gmail to no avail.

What do you guys suggest I do? Any other ways of password recovery? Can I ask Google and FB to delete those profiles so I can create new ones?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Nick,

This is a tough one. Unfortunately you may have to create a new account if the old account logins are gone. I would push the business owner to check with everyone and anyone that might know what it is (or the recovery e-mail).

I have a tip that sometimes works.

Let the Dentist know that if they can't figure out the password you'll need to do a couple hours of extra work and that is over and above the standard contract and tell them you charge 75 or 150 an hour or whatever for problem solving like this.

If you have to set up a new account it's time and work. Then to get Google to release the old one, can be a series of steps and a 2 week process. You can also possibly lose reviews and have to get them reattached or suffer other problems that sometimes do come up. So it can burn a couple hours easily.

Plus tell them it could affect ranking because it's thought that mature listings have some authority over brand new listings.

Often they just don't try really hard because they are busy and saying sorry, I don't know it just is the easiest thing for them to do. It's funny how fast they prioritize remembering that password when faced with the thought of paying extra. :p So like Colan said, I'd push them before jumping through all the hoops that will be required.

I wonder though Colan, if the Dentist called GMB support, don't you think they'd come up with a way to help as opposed to going the long hard way of having to set up a new listing?

I wonder though Colan, if the Dentist called GMB support, don't you think they'd come up with a way to help as opposed to going the long hard way of having to set up a new listing?

From my experience, the best they can offer in this scenario is to facilitate the process of re-claiming/moving the page into a new account.

So I did what Linda suggested and the dentist truly doesn't remember his password. As such, is my only option now to create a new account and then ask Google to release the old one?

If so, do you mind explaining to me how to do this? Specifically: if I create a new account I'll have to make it under a different name that I can change later when the old account gets released right? and where do I go to ask Google to release the old account?

Any help would be much appreciated!

I have had success a couple times calling GMB support and having them un-verify a listing, but its only worked on stagnant pages that had little activity on them for 2-3 years. Both pages had reviews. Also, I work with dentists and orthodontists. Keep plugging them and listen to what Linda mentioned. 9 times out of 10 they do have a password somewhere, they're just to busy. Maybe talk with the practice manager or a past manager.

Thanks Justin, ya I thought about having support unverify but like you said they sometimes won't.

But then again if they can't remember the password it could be stagnant. They may not have been in the account for a couple years.

I pinged Colan to have him explain how to start over if you need to.
But I think it's worth at least trying support 1st.

Hi Guys,

If you absolutely can't find the login here's what I would do.

Create a new Google account/login under the company e-mail. For example, if this was a State Farm agent, I would create the account under an @statefarm.com e-mail. This step is crucial to help expedite the process outlined below.

Next, go to https://www.google.com/local/business/add and search for the business phone number and select the listing that you are trying to get a hold of. You will receive a message that say's:

Someone else has already verified this listing
This listing has already been verified by another user. If you want to add this listing to your account, you can make a request that will be sent to the current verified user.

Select the Request Admin Rights option and fill out the form. Keep an eye on the Gmail associated with your new account for messages from Google. After a week, or sooner if you are in a rush, and nothing has been done, contact Google My Business Support and explain the situation and they can facilitate the process.

Without access to the existing account, this is the best bet. You may lose some of the G+ posts and followers from the previous G+ part of the page, but that should be the only downside. Loss of ranking is always a possibility but certainly not a guarantee.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom