More threads by Jeffrey Taylor

Reaction score
Hi everybody! Here is an interesting situation. So one of my Auto Dealer Clients just came back from his Dealer 20 Group meeting very excited about this GBP strategy. In fact, it was voted the best marketing tip at the meeting. He wants me to add this to his dealership asap. I told him to slow down and let's make sure it is within Google guidelines before jumping into it. Google allows Dealers to add Service and Parts as departments as long as they follow certain rules. We can then nest them into the main GBP.

The Covid years created a massive shortage in used inventory for car dealers and many went into the car buying phase to stock up on used cars to sell. Sell My Car is a highly coveted keyword phrase on Google. I have worked with car buying services and they have legitimate GBP because that is all they do. This car dealer wants to add a GBP using a suite number at the dealer ship address and add a Sell My Car GBP. SEE ATTACHED IMAGE - My first instinct is nope, not gonna pass Google's sniff test and could lead to suspension. Tell me wjhy i am wrong or right here. I will not create GBPs that violate Google guidelines and risk suspension and of course a possible lawsuit. The image of the flyer pretty much sums it up. this is directed at You product experts... Ben, Joy, Jared etc...

Notice the 2 GBPs - East Coast Honda & Sell My Car Myrtle Beach - Same car dealer, same location, added a letter to the address.

As always I appreciate everyone's opinion

!

IMG_3473.jpg

Solution
this is DEFINITELY a bad idea, and against the guidelines. They're ONLY allowed to set up a separate GBP for Parts, Service, and Body shop.

They're 100% not allowed to set up a "sell your car" or "we buy cars" GBP - it's never a separate department, it's part of the same team that handles sales at the dealership.

Jeffrey - is there any way you could find out which NADA consultant was running that 20 group meeting? I work closely with NADA and am about to train their team on current best-practice Local SEO... this is one of the things I've told them before NOT to suggest to dealers, so we really need to find out who's running a meeting and sharing info that can get dealers in trouble...
I think the first thing to consider here is that adding a suite number does virtually nothing as far as Google is concerned.

One of the rules for departments is that they typically have to have a separate entrance, signage, separate phone number, and staff. If they meet all of those criteria and this is a legitimate department then I'd say go for it. But if somebody shows up to the location and this isn't an actual department for selling your car and doesn't meet any of the above criteria, it's probably sitting on a straw foundation.

@Greg Gifford would be a good person to ask about this.

this is DEFINITELY a bad idea, and against the guidelines. They're ONLY allowed to set up a separate GBP for Parts, Service, and Body shop.

They're 100% not allowed to set up a "sell your car" or "we buy cars" GBP - it's never a separate department, it's part of the same team that handles sales at the dealership.

Jeffrey - is there any way you could find out which NADA consultant was running that 20 group meeting? I work closely with NADA and am about to train their team on current best-practice Local SEO... this is one of the things I've told them before NOT to suggest to dealers, so we really need to find out who's running a meeting and sharing info that can get dealers in trouble...

Solution
Yes, i appreciate your input. My team has set up over 1000 department listings for dealers and Greg is exactly right. Although Google frequently overlooks several NAP issues they are clear about the guidelines. I posted this in hopes someone like Greg would get in the mix. I have already spoken to the dealer and when i get the details of who recommended this strategy i will share it with you. We are here to help dealers stay out of trouble not create issues, but it was not a service selling this, it was a Dealer recommending it to other dealers in the group. Thanks for joining in Greg!!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom