More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
This afternoon I logged into our GMB account and noticed a new module to "Connect in real-time, with Video"

1598568084815.png

Clicking "Set up now" opens this up:

1598568133043.png

This doesn't seem to to be a direct Zoom/GMB integration, but instead, if you select the Google Meet or Zoom option it takes you to:

and

Anyone else seeing this option in your GMB dashboard?

What are your thoughts on Google including Zoom as an option?

Whoa. WHOA! Does this mean that you'll be able to have a button on your Business Profile that will trigger a video chat in real time? Like, instant video call for sales/support?

That would be amazing.

I imagine that is the logical next phase. How cool would that be for certain businesses?! But at this point, as far as I can tell, it's not directly integrated with the profile.

Tomas on our GMB team tested and it seems half-baked so far. It doesn't connect to anything. Just goes to the landing pages of Meet and Zoom. Almost feels like this was accidentally released prematurely.

Seen it too in Spain, but like you mention it is not possible to set up or to configure...
Screenshot_2020-09-03_at_19_15_13.png

I don't see this option for any of my clients yet but did notice that one of my home reno clients has an option to"book with Google".
Google appears to be working with Thryv
1599169654736.png
1599169696919.png

I wonder if this is intended for the following attributes. Each of these services allow for a dedicated link. So, maybe this is prematurely launched, but intended to link to a unique room for the following attributes?
  • Online classes
  • Onsite services
  • Online estimates
  • Online appointments

I wonder if this is intended for the following attributes. Each of these services allow for a dedicated link. So, maybe this is prematurely launched, but intended to link to a unique room for the following attributes?
  • Online classes
  • Onsite services
  • Online estimates
  • Online appointments
I would think the same. It almost feels like they are testing it. Look at the language inconsistencies, the tops says online classes, then further down below says, online classes, appointments, estimates. I think those three should have been included on the top.

GMB-videoConferencing1.jpg

So this is what Google said to me @Colan Nielsen: This functionality is a further extension of our online services announcement earlier this year. Merchants can already note on their Business Profiles that they offer virtual services and add links for booking online appointments. We're testing some new functionality to help merchants easily get started with video conferencing providers so they can begin offering virtual services. There's no change to what's displayed on the Business Profile."

So it appears that this has to be done with/through reserve with Google partners (although there's some ambiguity there -- can it be done directly w/o a partner). It's also not clear if the booking partner controls the video platform or whether the local business owner has any discretion: Meet vs. Webex vs. Zoom, etc.

The video would stream from the GMB profile page as I understand it.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom