More threads by kathleen.rhodes

Reaction score
In the last few days, with two clients, the cover image has been replaced by one of the most recently added images (that were set for a different type, such as "At work). The only way I have been able to get the actual cover image to reappear is by deleting the other images.

Is anyone else having this issue or know of a solution? I tried something that used to work in the past, i.e., creating the Google website and adding the desired cover image there, but that didn't work.

I have only had 1 account with a new cover photo showing up unexpectedly. Its the sixth most recent photo added.

What's really bumming me out today is I am being forced to manage all listings in the search results vs the Dashboard.

Sometimes google just LOVES one of your other pics or hates the one you want for cover. That's it. That's the whole thing. And you can't reason with the algortihms when that happen other than doing what you did.

@JS Girard actually, I don't think that's what's happening. Two days in a row, with two different clients, Google changed the cover image to what were fairly poor images (in one case, a picture of wrench under a sink for a plumber, versus a very nice cover image that has had hundreds of views).

I'm not saying Google's algorithm makes sense. I'm saying sometimes it just starts hating or loving on one particular image (see this article with Joy Hawkins dealing with the "google hates the pic I want to use" issue. spoiler: there's no true workaround). And given that Google has been on an all-out war to prevent businesses from using stock photos, I don,t find it surprising. With Google, you have to accept that you can't have artificial intelligence without artificial idiocy.

@JoyHawkins - I appreciate @JS Girard 's feedback. However, I think this is something different. Two clients (within just a few days last week), with legitimate cover images (i.e., not stock photo) were replaced by by the most recent images I had added in other categories, such as "At work," "Team," etc.

Are you able to possibly link to the photos and clarify which is which, or give us a screenshot showing the cover photo you want and the one that Google is picking instead?

I think Google doesn't really like to see a logo as the cover image, that's what the logo image is for. Actual photos that show something about your business seem to work. Your first example shows the plumber's truck and presumably, the plumber. I can't tell what that other business is, but it's an actual photo vs another logo.

I think Google doesn't really like to see a logo as the cover image, that's what the logo image is for. Actual photos that show something about your business seem to work. Your first example shows the plumber's truck and presumably, the plumber. I can't tell what that other business is, but it's an actual photo vs another logo.

Thanks for the feedback, @Tony Wang

In my experience I have several cover photos that rotate between other photos in the profile. This is especially true for my lawyer clients. Google states:

• Cover photo: Set a cover photo at the top of your profile that best represents your business. In some instances, this action doesn’t guarantee the cover photo will show up as the first image for your business.

In my experience I have several cover photos that rotate between other photos in the profile. This is especially true for my lawyer clients. Google states:

• Cover photo: Set a cover photo at the top of your profile that best represents your business. In some instances, this action doesn’t guarantee the cover photo will show up as the first image for your business.

Thanks, @Claudia

Dear @kathleen.rhodes in my limited experience, Google Local Algorithm is built to confirm that the location is an actual physical location, with real people working on it. Thus, any image showing a work activity, real people, and has geographical clues has more value (for the algorithm) than an abstract image (in this case a logo). What you may want to keep in mind is what Google is trying to ascertain when assessing your input is its Relevance, Prominence and Proximity to the original query. This means when a searcher looks for a plumber, Google wants to cross-check that it's a plumber, it's where it's advertised, and its service is acceptable. In the local niche, relevance of a location to the searcher's query is determined by whether the place exists in this particular location, and provides the service that it promotes to serve. Images are used by Google as a supplementary data source so that the algorithm can cross-check the relevance of the location by analyzing both the textual data you provide, and visual data you and customers provide (please also keep in mind you don't have full control over images section) Thus, for the local algorithm, any image which gives information on your industry (all those images are coded into text in the background according to their content, mood and style, I believe @JoyHawkins has a great article on that) and Google has a visual "expectation" for all query types. For those expectations Logos, text-based advertisement materials, and stock photos do not bring any value.
So for what Google is trying to accomplish, "at work" section is much more valuable than any marketing material you may try to push, and thus Google will always push these images above others because its priority is not for you to advertise yourself, but to provide the user with the information what your business actually looks like. You can always utilize Posts to push your promotional material, but images section is a different beast.

Yeah, now that I've seen the old/new pic, I'm with TOny Wang. Google really doesn't like big flat logo images on single-color background as covers, and will usually switch to anything else. And I mean, any other pic at all that is not a logo. So usually the only way to get those to stick is to a) have no other pic whatsoever and b) pray no user ever upload a photo.

My workaround for this is usually to take a good picture of the van side's logo or lettering (or some physical indoor or outdoor signage).

Just chiming in to agree that Google hates logos (for cover photos) and you should avoid them in your cover photo if possible.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom