More threads by wra2010

wra2010

Reaction score
I'm working to try and create an icon on Google Maps for all our buildings on our campus. Currently, we only have 4 buildings with a grey icon - our library, Early College High School, Therapeutic Massage and WSGE. I've talked with Google support and they have told me these grey icons are pulled automatically off the website. Is there a resource I can use to learn more about how Google picks the icons it automatically creates?
Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 11.20.28 AM.png

Hi, Place labels on the map are controlled by an algorithm. There is no way to directly influence or force this process.

You can read about it here: Place labels on Google Maps - Google My Business Help

You can look at creating a Custom Map using Google My Maps if you would like to ensure that everything you want to capture is captured. Please also be sure that the places you are adding qualify to be on the map.

@wra2010

The icons are based on the primary category of each listing. You have the ability to control that but you first need to claim the listings inside the Google My Business dashboard.

Just also wanted to clarify that which icons show at what zoom level is definitely determined by the algorithm (so generally more popular ones show up at higher zoom levels) which is what Greg is alluding to.

However, you can change the category of a listing if it's wrong but first you need to claim them.

Hi, Place labels on the map are controlled by an algorithm. There is no way to directly influence or force this process.

You can read about it here: Place labels on Google Maps - Google My Business Help

You can look at creating a Custom Map using Google My Maps if you would like to ensure that everything you want to capture is captured. Please also be sure that the places you are adding qualify to be on the map.

Thanks, Greg. I'll look into this. They should qualify as being able to be on the map because they have their own address, phone number, and provide different services. Kind of like how Costco or Walmart has their own listings for Eye Care or Tire Center within their building. Thanks!

Just also wanted to clarify that which icons show at what zoom level is definitely determined by the algorithm (so generally more popular ones show up at higher zoom levels) which is what Greg is alluding to.

However, you can change the category of a listing if it's wrong but first you need to claim them.

Thanks, Joy! I've been reading your SEO blogs for a while now and you definitely put your money where your mouth is on answering questions in the forum! Would you think all these buildings would qualify to be claimed? As I said to Greg, they all have their own addresses, phone numbers and provide a different service.

So we went through the process and got about 80% of them verified 3 of them have come back as suspended. I'm going to appeal those. My question now is would it help these pins show up if they each got a few reviews? Currently, the only pins showing up are the original 4 which all have reviews.

Or as Greg said, is it all based on Google's algorithm and we're at the mercy of Google.

I would assume getting reviews would help the prominence of each listing. I would also make sure they have different categories (if possible) and link to the specific department page on the website vs all going to the homepage.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom