Reaction score
Current best practice for G+ "introduction" (Formerly Google Places Description)

Hi all, am wondering if anyone cares to share what the best practices are for length of and how touchy the keyword stuffing spam filter is (or isn't) regarding the length of a company description/

The google and my business forum I found roughly around 2010 when some of my client's G Places page got dinged. If memory serves it was GMB member MYSQLPerformace who said ( and I'm paraphrasing a lot)

if your company name is also your keywords, you'd better not repeat those keywords ANYWHERE in the G Places description.

He used the term "Draconian" spam filter.. (I remember that because I really, REALLY wanted to use that phrase in a local SEO blog post but felt it unethical to rip Andrew off.. it was is copy, not mine, I wish I'd thunk it, but he did first)

OK so 2010 was maybe pre Panda, and certainly pre Pigeon.

fast forward to today:

I have a client that's a pawn shop.. Now I know Google is a "relational database" (again, Kudos to Andrew for pointing that out to me)
meaning.. if all of the competitors for a given genres websites all suck:
-have zero optimization,
-all of them use graphics and little to no text
-all of the keyword stuff pretty much identical to each other

... the one that, from Googlebot's perspective "sucks the least" wins...
-that doesn't mean they "earned it"
-it doesn't mean google likes what they did
-all it means is whoever ranks #1 sucks slightly less than the other 5 or 6.

so before I set out to craft a "superior" optimized G places description, or as Google Adwords Express terms it, an "introduction".. I did some competitor spying/ reconnaissance first.

Every single G places description I looked at were blatant examples of keyword spamming.. if I was the algo and I had to pick a winner based on this.. I'd be horrified.

So. anyone hear care to shed some light on the current best practices?

thanks

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Re: What is current best practice for "introduction" (formerly Google Place descripti

I think as long as you craft it with the customer in mind you will be fine. For example, I think it is useful to add hyperlinks to specific pages on the businesses website that would be useful for the user to click to to learn more about a product or service. But if the description is soaked in exact match anchor text links that all go to the same page or something like that I think it can hurt.

As far as length goes, the main thing to consider is the longer the description, the further a potential customer will have to scroll down the page to see your reviews.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Re: What is current best practice for "introduction" (formerly Google Place descripti

Great point Colin about pushing the reviews down.

Here's a post I did back in 2013, much applies today.

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/nap-categories-dashboard-data/9653-description-best-practices-new-google-places-dashboard.html">Description Best Practices in the NEW Google Places Dashboard</a>

However since Pigeon I don't think Google is quite as picky about keyword repetition. In the past I've seen lots of listings totally penalized for repeating City too many times, but now I see spammy descriptions ranking all the time. Still I would be careful.

Google has told us the description is not a ranking factor. So stuffing it will not help and just looks bad. So I'd take Colan's advice and write for the user.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jo Shaer Current Best Practice For Suspending/Deleting A Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
M Initials and & - current best practices? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
MiriamEllis Initials and & - current best practices? NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 8
Lloyd Silver No Current Website - Best course of action to support Google My Business Google My Business & Google Maps 5
djbaxter WordPress: The NoneNone Brute Force Attacks: Currently Active Websites, Software, and Security 0
A GSC request indexing feature is currently disabled. Is there another option to request indexing? Organic SEO 1
valentinb13 Current business GMB not showing up—Old Business is Google Duplicates & Merges 8
S Is the service description section on GMB available for all industries? I am currently working on a business thats an event venue. Service Area Businesses 3
Ian Hammond "Your business is verified and is currently being connected to Google Search and Maps" (30+ days) Help & Support for Google Local 3
djbaxter Stay current with the latest WordPress and Plugins Security Issues with this newsletter Websites, Software, and Security 0
Henry LocalClarity Current value of complete Latitude & Longitude for every location in a chain? Google Local 101 1
Oliver Keates Optimising Current Citations To Increase Ranking Google My Business & Google Maps 7
M *HELP* What to do when current owner denies transfer request. Google My Business & Google Maps 4
J Get GMB Ownership w/o Current Owner Google My Business & Google Maps 6
pbarnhart Current Google Local Biz Terms Google Local 101 0
C I'm ranking in local pack in different city other than current location Local Search 5
JoshuaMackens Current Way to Report GMB Business Name? Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Eric Rohrback What Are You Currently Using for Project Management? Consultant's Corner 7
L What is Currently on Your SEO Tool Belt? Local SEO Tools & Software 9
M Current Research On G+ (Maps) Clicks Vs Organic? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Google Phone Support Hours Currently Limited Due to Backlog Google My Business & Google Maps 16
T Making edits to a currently verified Google listing Google My Business & Google Maps 6
F Remove Association of Previous Google+ Account With Current Website w/o Rank Loss Local Search 0
M Most current statistics Local Search 1
Susan Walsh We currently do not support this location - back again Google My Business & Google Maps 8
Mike Wilton Google+ Local Conversion Generating "We currently do not support the location." Error Google My Business & Google Maps 3
djbaxter Spam registrations rampant currently Mod Squad 3
D Google - We currently do not support the location??? Help & Support for Google Local 4
G We currently do not support the location Recycle Bin 0
Linda Buquet Current Google+ Local Bugs and Problems Roundup Report Google My Business & Google Maps 6
S Listing Shows in Search Results, In Dashboard says we currently do not support Help & Support for Google Local 4
Simon James Just to check my understanding of the current state of play for multiple locations... Help & Support for Google Local 17
Susan Walsh We currently do not support the location Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 1
K Listing Not Ranking After Recovering from "We Currently Do Not Support" Error Help & Support for Google Local 4
FriarTuck00 Best Practice for a Business that is Still Operational but Everyone Works Remotely? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
david.victor GMB Q&A vs your website's FAQ - Best Practices? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
A Guest Post Outreach - What is the best method? Local Search 5
AdvoAd How to best handle 10+ locations on website Websites, Software, and Security 4
david.victor Best SEO/GMB Reporting Tools for Outreach? Consultant's Corner 4
S Best Tips for Organic Traffic Organic SEO 3
abbiebeltran Amway or Avon - Best Practice Google My Business Service Area Businesses 3
G Best Practice for GMB Service Areas? Service Area Businesses 2
A Best Method to Check sites All Scenarios? Websites, Software, and Security 1
Ben Walsh Best keywords to use for geogrid ranking maps Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
RattlingTram Best Practices for areaServed Schema Markup? Help & Support for Google Local 5
Michael S. Doran Multiple Locations Best Practices Local Search 3
Ben Walsh Best way to contact the GMB team for duplicates, etc., at the moment? All Things Google My Business [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
P Creating Content Silo to improve Category Page (Best Practice Query) Local Content 1
djbaxter Best review ever? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Steve Wiideman Does anyone have a Google My Business claiming best practice guide? Google My Business & Google Maps 3