More threads by Mark Mitchell

Mark Mitchell

Solutions
Reaction score
I have a client who unfortunately lost their primary phone number for a business. For the last month, we have been updating the Google Business Profile page with the new telephone number only to have it revert back to the incorrect number 24 - 36 hours later. I'm at a loss for what is causing this, does anyone have any ideas? There are no automated data management tools associated with it, the user accounts are limited and in order, I would appreciate an idea on how to get this to quit updating to incorrect information.

Solution
So it was a result of a program the client had given backend access to their GBP page as Joy suggested. I mistakenly thought as a manager I would be seeing all of the programs connected access to the page from my manager account but this was not true. I logged into the customer's account, removed the old marketing company that they hadn't been with for over 2 years and the problem resolved itself. Thanks again, Joy.
Was the original validation through text message or phone? We've found that these can "lock-up" the phone number so that you are required to ask for Google Suport help. This has happened to at least five or six different client in the past year (number unclear because we didn't track the issue initially).

Every single time, Support basically called in a postcard verification. I have asked repeatedly whether we could just request a postcard ourselves instead of spending a week back-and-forthing to explain the issue (not to mention that to even submit the ticket you need proof of the new phone number now!), but they have remained stubbornly silent on this issue.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there at the beginning so I'm unsure of how they verified initially. I will go the support route, thank you for your insight.

Apologies for missing your reply Sara, the number has been correct on the clients website during this entire time.

Then the wrong phone number could be present elsewhere online - Google may be pulling it into your business profile from some other source. I'd search for the wrong phone/info online and see if you can figure out where it's being used. Fix it there, then re-input the correct phone into your Google business profile

Although I can't discount Joy's hypothesis, I still think that the issue is an internally locked phone number.

Just because you don't know what the validation method was doesn't make it not so.

So it was a result of a program the client had given backend access to their GBP page as Joy suggested. I mistakenly thought as a manager I would be seeing all of the programs connected access to the page from my manager account but this was not true. I logged into the customer's account, removed the old marketing company that they hadn't been with for over 2 years and the problem resolved itself. Thanks again, Joy.

Solution

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU - Local SEO Penalties for Links

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom