More threads by Nitesh Choudhari

Reaction score
Is it possible that in future Google will have a seperate local search dedicated to it as we have image search, news search, video search, shopping search, etc. which can be selected by clicking on it.?

I don't think so given their push to make Google Maps more of a local search engine. That 1bn user+ is no longer just a navigation platform. Sleeping giant in a lot of ways.

The traditional search results are also localized and increasingly the Map Pack show up under more and more keyword searches (GMB continues to expand the categories it supports).

I don't think so given their push to make Google Maps more of a local search engine. That 1bn user+ is no longer just a navigation platform. Sleeping giant in a lot of ways.

The traditional search results are also localized and increasingly the Map Pack show up under more and more keyword searches (GMB continues to expand the categories it supports).
Yes. But what about the other things.
Think of it this way a dedicated local search engine which will display relevant businesses in your local area including the NAP, current or future offers if any, some posts which can be scrolled side ways, images scrolled side ways.
In short local pack in expanded form with more relevant information. You need not always click on the business scroll through it and click back button to see another. Most important it will save time.

Funny that you mentioned this. The other day I searched for "lettering removal" to find a local business who does this service but Google showed me articles that explained how to do it. I was thinking that there should be a "Local" button like there is for Images that would give me only GMB results.

Search for "lettering removal service" instead.

Searching is a skill and it's an underdeveloped skill in a lot of people.

Search for "lettering removal service" instead.
What I posted was just an anecdote. I’m sure you’re not going to want to tell all the billions of people the proper search term.
Searching is a skill and it's an underdeveloped skill in a lot of people.
That’s the entire point, Google can make it easier for all of those people.

I made a mock up a few years back which is a sort of local business search.

It's basically just a Google maps search really but I find it quite useful.

Google Business Finder (uksbd.co.uk)

Change it to lettering removal and add a location and see if it returns anything.

I think I have it set to UK so might not be accurate

I also have a version where I embed the maps result on the page

Funny that you mentioned this. The other day I searched for "lettering removal" to find a local business who does this service but Google showed me articles that explained how to do it. I was thinking that there should be a "Local" button like there is for Images that would give me only GMB results.
Yes. This happens for many services especially if there no one in your local area who provide such a service. In this case, the search result can display "No business found in your area, the nearest one is xx kM away from you."

Regular Google Search already does that. No need for a separate search interface or engine.
What if someone only wants to see results from the local area. Is there any filtration currently? Search results will not only show business from the local area but their posts, blog posts, their offers, etc.

What if someone only wants to see results from the local area. Is there any filtration currently? Search results will not only show business from the local area but their posts, blog posts, their offers, etc.
That's basically what Maps is
use &tbm=lcl in the URL and you get local results on the Map

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom