More threads by Sam Ilowitz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is something that Google has been rolling out address abbreviation changes recently?

I noticed that the address abbreviations on Google Local has been changed.

W as West
Blvd as Boulevard
St as Street
NE as Northeast
Ave as Avenue
Rd as Road
etc.

Does it make any difference whether you use abbreviation or not?

Is Google Maps showing the same results or using abbreviation?

Will this affect NAP consistency across the ecosystems requiring us to make changes?

I noticed that the address abbreviations on Google Local has been changed.

Does it make any difference whether you use abbreviation or not?

Is Google Maps showing the same results or using abbreviation?

Will this affect NAP consistency across the ecosystems requiring us to make changes?

Hi Sam,

You noticed the change, where specifically? On the G+ Local page? On G maps results? In knowledge graph or on the base map?

Because here is the deal. Google often shortens or abbreviates for space and display consistency reasons. Sometimes it's even formatted differently in search than on the the page, than on the base map.

Ideally from now on I believe it's best to use the full spelled out address in GMB and citations on NEW listings you create. Then she'll shorten it if needed in various places.

DO NOT CHANGE ADDRESS IN GMB based on what I'm about to say. As long as address is currently correct in dash, no matter if it's using abbreviations I'd leave it. Because as I stressed in the training you took, any change to NAP can upset the apple cart. So if it ain't broke don't fix it.

And realize Google is much better at figuring out and matching up all the standard abbreviations these days too. So don't sweat it too much. Just whatever is in dash, try to be consistent and use that version everywhere. And on new listings, I would recommend using full spelled out address.

Hi Linda,

I've seen changes in the Local Page and Maps, but I haven't changed anything since my dashboard is showing full spelled address. Back then, when I made a new listing, I used abbreviation. It looks like Google updated the dash to full spelled terms.

Of course, I would never fix anything if it ain't broke :)

Thanks again for your advice!

I see Sam posted at the Google forum too. Here is the thread with a reply from Treebles, one of the other Top Contributors.

<a href="https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/business/hELPOKty5BY">Did Google update address abbreviation for Google Local and Maps?</a>

Im seeing address updates in Local as well. Many, if not all, of the G+ pages Ive checked have all been updated. The change is showing in Maps and G+ for me as Sam stated above.

Im not seeing any of the changes reflected in the GMB dashboard yet though.

It was changed a few weeks ago right at the database level; they are now abbreviated in Map Maker.

I have a meeting with our CM on Friday to go over multiple issues, and this is on my list. It's unclear if the database has been truly changed or the interface has been adjusted to show abbreviations on the fly; but I've already seen instances of the name being spelled out in full NOT being associated with the abbreviated street (the exact opposite of what used to happen).

Thanks Greg, I was hoping you'd see this and weigh in.

Happy New Year!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom