More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
I've been tracking some SERPs for years for personal injury lawyer terms in Philadelphia and am fascinated to see recently (last 90 days or so) that a lot of big terms are not consistently returning local packs. It varies based on the day and where you're searching from, but the general pattern is that there are a lot less 3-packs than there were before. Here are 2 specific examples:

Philadelphia car accident lawyer (before vs after):
39753848-b9db4a8db84af7ad425a5f149421e7d4.png

39753872-ac4ab145f3806bd1302486245b5d2808.png

Best lawyers in Philadelphia (before vs after):

Screen Shot 2023-02-09 at 3.08.33 PM.jpg

1683827272112.jpg

I'm seeing this reflect in the Google Business Profile calls as well.

Februrary
Google Business Profile calls - 41
Calls onsite from Google organic - 20

April
Google Business Profile calls - 30
Calls onsite from Google organic - 34

Make sure you always track both - you never know when Google is gonna shake up the search results.

Are you guys seeing anything similar? I've seen other trends for different clients where packs are moving further down the page.

Solution
Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't. Even when I'm searching from the exact same location/device/browser (desktop, Chrome Incognito). I open Incognito and sometimes the map pack shows #3. Other times, there is no map pack. I'm about 1.5hrs west of Philadelphia (in Lancaster, PA) and am not using a location-changing Chrome extension.

Without map pack on desktop:
www.google.com_search_q=car+accident+lawyer+philadelphia&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS956US956&oq=car+accid...jpg

With map pack on desktop:
www.google.com_search_q=car+accident+lawyer+philadelphia&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS956US956&oq=car+accid...jpg

On mobile, the map pack consistently exists and shows up immediately below ads:
I've noted before that sometimes, the presence of a three-pack varies from city to city, even for fairly popular keywords. Normally I see it for keywords that do not match a vertical. Most notably "agrandissement de maison + [City]" (French for house/home extension) has shown wild variation depending on time and place. At the moment it seems more likely to show a threepack than not.

Even taking into account Google's scaling back the amount of three pack over the last two years, seeing this for a query with a major vertical word in it ("lawyer") is really strange.

Sometimes I see it, sometimes I don't. Even when I'm searching from the exact same location/device/browser (desktop, Chrome Incognito). I open Incognito and sometimes the map pack shows #3. Other times, there is no map pack. I'm about 1.5hrs west of Philadelphia (in Lancaster, PA) and am not using a location-changing Chrome extension.

Solution
I believe recent updates involve some sort of A/B tests on the best possible user intent satisfaction. I am not sure yet, but we will see.

In my vertical (wedding industry), I haven't local packs dropping out entirely as much as being pushed down. I've seen multiple SERPs with local packs further down the page, with 1, 3, sometimes 5 organic results above them.

Anyone else seeing this? Seems like a good change for us, to drive more traffic vs have searchers compare options in the local pack...

local-pack-pushed-down.jpg

Yes, I'm seeing more SERPs with local packs pushed down than ones without them.

It started off a few months ago, I would see it pop up from time to time. Now it is becoming rampant for both push down and nothing. I cannot divulge anything sadly.

In our sector, I've been observing this for the last 12 months or so. Periodically the Pack is essentially at the bottom of page 2.

In other words, if it's not at the top of the page, left hand side, its fairly much pointless.
It make me wonder whether it's tied to G Qtr earnings or if local packs are kinda a thing of the past as far as commercial traffic?

Same here for the ISP niche.

Desktop map pack disapears.

Mobile map pack is back.

But for other terms in the same niche the map pack is still in the SERP but way down than before.

Another thing are the ads. Now alwas showing 4 ads. Before we could see 2, 3 or 4.

@sixthcitysarah thanks for sharing!

Although the traffic on this niche (ISP) (for our clients here in Brazil) came 70 to 90% from mobile, this drop isn't hurting too much.

We, as local SEO professionals, need to keep an eye opened everyday to avoid surprises like these from Google.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom