More threads by keyserholiday

keyserholiday

Banned
Solutions
Reaction score
I was looking into ranking drops in BrightLocal and I discovered several keyword queries where Google moved the map pack farther down the page.

moving map packs.jpg

I dunno about seeing it more, but I've seen this occasionally for at least a year or more.

@keyserholiday Yes, we've been seeing similar results for medical related search phrases. For example, when the search is for "flu shot atlanta ga", the map pack shows way down, after SERP #9, and similar search "flu vaccine atlanta ga" it comes in after SERP #10, very bottom of page. But if you do same search phrase using "flu shot charlotte nc" or "flu vaccine charlotte nc" the map pack doesn't even show up.

Some results using "flu shot city state" there may be three to four "organic" results above the map pack, which is not a desirable position (in my opinion) because I think that most searchers have the expectation (i.e. have been trained) that up to four results above the map pack are advertisements and just scroll right past. Like you, we use BL and are having to look more closely as having a top 3 SERP above the map pack, may not be as desirable/engaged as being below the map pack. Conversely having a top 3 local pack presence may not be the same value when it is at the very bottom of the page. But as you know, you can't tell this by looking at the summary report, you have to actually click on the result on the report to see where it actually shows up on the page.

@keyserholiday Yes, we've been seeing similar results for medical related search phrases. For example, when the search is for "flu shot atlanta ga", the map pack shows way down, after SERP #9, and similar search "flu vaccine atlanta ga" it comes in after SERP #10, very bottom of page. But if you do same search phrase using "flu shot charlotte nc" or "flu vaccine charlotte nc" the map pack doesn't even show up.

Some results using "flu shot city state" there may be three to four "organic" results above the map pack, which is not a desirable position (in my opinion) because I think that most searchers have the expectation (i.e. have been trained) that up to four results above the map pack are advertisements and just scroll right past. Like you, we use BL and are having to look more closely as having a top 3 SERP above the map pack, may not be as desirable/engaged as being below the map pack. Conversely having a top 3 local pack presence may not be the same value when it is at the very bottom of the page. But as you know, you can't tell this by looking at the summary report, you have to actually click on the result on the report to see where it actually shows up on the page.

I ran a different test and in my area, I can only trigger a map pack with flu shot near me and it's in the normal position.

I ran a different test and in my area, I can only trigger a map pack with flu shot near me and it's in the normal position.

Hey Jason, for "flu shot near me" searches our results have the local pack pushed down for most of our monitored client locations. This is also replicated on Google's Anonymous Ad Tool (Charlotte example): Anonymous Ad Preview Tool

The position also seems to vary whether on desktop/mobile. We see that in some city/state searches the results vary significantly in whether the local pack is showing up normal, pushed down, or not at all. Hopefully other members will share their feedback and provide examples. Did you happen to search and get similar results for "flu shot atlanta ga"?

Thank you for posting this, we've been seeing the same thing occurring but it is fairly sporadic based on search terms and locations. If you'd like I can share more examples, just let me know.

Hey Jason, for "flu shot near me" searches our results have the local pack pushed down for most of our monitored client locations. This is also replicated on Google's Anonymous Ad Tool (Charlotte example): Anonymous Ad Preview Tool

The position also seems to vary whether on desktop/mobile. We see that in some city/state searches the results vary significantly in whether the local pack is showing up normal, pushed down, or not at all. Hopefully other members will share their feedback and provide examples. Did you happen to search and get similar results for "flu shot atlanta ga"?

Thank you for posting this, we've been seeing the same thing occurring but it is fairly sporadic based on search terms and locations. If you'd like I can share more examples, just let me know.

I ran tests in Atlanta and saw exactly what you were seeing.

I think it happens where Google is not very confident that the search ought to be a primary geolocalised one or the keyword one tries to geolocalised is not very strong. Here's an example in french for a term equivalent to "teeth facing [area]":

screencapture-google-search-2022-10-17-08_59_05.jpg

Was searching to see if anyone was noticing this now too, seems to have expanded to more queries!! I am seeing the local pack showing as the 8th-10th result now and I think it's been impacting some traffic

I did one search in different cities and got two ads with massive spacing between sentences, Wikipedia, People Also Ask (PPA), and then the map pack. Google just opened up the category to Local Search Ads (LSA), so I can't wait until they start to display.

Was searching to see if anyone was noticing this now too, seems to have expanded to more queries!! I am seeing the local pack showing as the 8th-10th result now and I think it's been impacting some traffic

Seeing the Pack at the bottom of what would be page two at times. Speculation is that it's tied to their Qtr earnings. After the next Qtr earning result is published, we may see it at the top of page one again for a short period depending on their numbers.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom