djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Disavow & Link Removal: Understanding Google
by Aaron Wall, SEOBook.com
January 26, 2014

Fear Sells
Few SEOs took notice when Matt Cutts mentioned on TWIG that "breaking their spirits" was essential to stopping spammers. But that single piece of information add layers of insights around things like:

• duplicity on user privacy on organic versus AdWords
  • benefit of the doubt for big brands versus absolute apathy toward smaller entities
  • the importance of identity versus total wipeouts of those who are clipped
  • mixed messaging on how to use disavow & the general fear around links

.... A buddy of mine mentioned getting a bad link example from Google where the link was in place longer than Google has been in existence. Risk can arbitrarily be added after the fact to any SEO activity. Over time Google can keep shifting the norms of what is acceptable. So long as they are fighting off Wordpress hackers and other major issues they are kept busy, but when they catch up on that stuff they can then focus on efforts to shift white to gray and gray to black - forcing people to abandon techniques which offered a predictable positive ROI.

...Hiding data (and then giving crumbs of it back to profile webmasters) is one way of doing it, but adding layers of risk is another. What panda did to content was add a latent risk to content where the cost of that risk in many cases vastly exceeded the cost of the content itself. What penguin did to links was the same thing: make the latent risk much larger than the upfront cost.

Read more...

djbaxter

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
And it's very clear from link removal requests you and I both get, Linda, that the average webmaster clearly doesn't understand the messages Google is sending them about "unnatural linking patterns".

I just had another request this morning from a site on Bipolar Disorder to remove a link on a bipolar forum thread where I recommended their site as a resource. How on earth is that "unnatural linking"?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Ben Walsh The client won't drop it with disavowing links Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
A Disavowing Press Release Links Organic SEO 5
djbaxter Google: Don't disavow bad links unless you are responsible for those links Organic SEO 7
E Disavowed Links and other matters Organic SEO 6
JoyHawkins When Should you File a Disavow? Organic SEO 15
JoyHawkins Do You File a Disavow for a Hacked Site? Organic SEO 5
JoyHawkins When to Use the Disavow Tool? Organic SEO 19
Les Zeppelin 'Disavowing' citations Citations 8
J How does one use tools such as Moz or Semrush if disavowed has been used. Local Search 2
djbaxter New Disavow tool from Bruce Clay Local SEO Tools & Software 0
Linda Buquet Guide to Penguin and the Disavow Tool for Local Search Local Search 4
Ben Bowen Should I consider "disavow"? Local Search 8
djbaxter New Free Google Backlink Checker Tool for Penguin & Disavow Analysis Organic SEO 1
djbaxter Google updates and disavow options creating mass hysteria Organic SEO 6
B "Check Insurance Info" Link In GMB - How'd it get there? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
W Gathering GMB Dashboard Links Multi-Location Issues 1
djbaxter NEW Forcing a link to NOFOLLOW How To Guides 0
Brian Barwig Unconventional Approaches to Local Link Building Local Search 0
Marty Twelves Local links: are they really that much better? Local Search 1
J Unable to change the custom URL link on YouTube for a rebranded business Local Content 2
J Tutorial Q&A Link Building for DA & Referral Traffic Organic SEO 2
Niki Wrong facebook link on Google business listing Help & Support for Google Local 2
hajnasiewicz Place an order link Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
A Reservations Preferred link Google My Business & Google Maps 11
Igor GMB Virtual care link auto updates to wrong URL Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Scott ClientClicks Local service ads - change link? Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
K Broken Place_ID Review Link Local Reviews 11
PKLilikoi "Redirect Notice" in Google causing Toxic Link issue in Tools Organic SEO 3
djbaxter Google Treats Affiliate Links As Nofollow, rel=sponsored Organic SEO 0
djbaxter Upcoming API Change to break Facebook, Instagram oEmbed Links October 24 Mobile & Social 0
C Service Area Business Links Local Search 8
N Should I use a GMB Website to get a citation and links? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Jim Froling Great Link Building Lessons by Base Academy Recycle Bin 0
Kurt Kolander GMB and Google Earth Links Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Annika Neudecker Mass disappearance of website links Multi-Location Issues 4
coachmarino Links in Services NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
wesduplantier New Maps feature for businesses COVID Support links? Google News: Important Changes & Features 1
B Link building anchor text for local rankings 2020 Organic SEO 1
Lachlan_Wells New 'Order Delivery' buttons can potentially link directly to your website Google My Business & Google Maps 10
K New Appointment Link Feature Google My Business & Google Maps 2
lincolnchan Attribution Links in Clients' Footers Organic SEO 7
LocalSEODat Using UTM for GMB link to website. Does that mess w/ citation matching, rankings or anything negative effect? Google My Business & Google Maps 5
Matthew Summers Anyone else see a big change in "blue links" rankings starting around 5.26.20? Google Algorithm Discussions 0
Aly Kurtz Removing map pin that isn't linked to a GMB Google My Business & Google Maps 0
mattrigg Best Practice - Content Assets and Linking Local Content 3
Igor Disabling Website link to Google Business Site Local Search 1
Rich Owings Rotate link Forum Tech Support 3
M GMB Virtual Care Link - Does the URL have to be on the website? Google My Business & Google Maps 1
L 2 year old website with no links, no content dominating local pack?? Google My Business & Google Maps 3
CarrieHill Get Online Care link showing up on Healthcare listings Google My Business & Google Maps 2