More threads by drongo

drongo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the answer is YES but are there any ways around this?

Also, is there any information on what proportion of users (especially in the UK) actually have a Google account? Is there a resource online which gives this info?

Many thanks folks!!!

:)

I'm very interested in seeing other replies to this question.

As far as I can tell, you can't leave a Google Review without logging into a Google account.

Rather egocentric of Google to assume that everyone who wants to review your business will have a Google account - or that they want to take the time to log in even if they do have one. I wonder how many potential reviews are lost because of this, especially for non-Android mobile users.

They changed the requirement last year (not sure exactly when), so you do need a Google account now.

I think that is a good thing though. We see how many "fake" reviews there are now with accounts, imagine spammers and competitors being able to leave unlimited bad reviews with no account/identity needed.

I agree, not a bad thing. I get it from the business owner's perspective of making it more complicated for the customer. If you are using Google's service, creating an account is not an unreasonable requirement.

Rather egocentric of Google to assume that everyone who wants to review your business will have a Google account - or that they want to take the time to log in even if they do have one. I wonder how many potential reviews are lost because of this, especially for non-Android mobile users.

I think they care more about getting your person data when you sign up for the account and the ability to track you across other Google products than they do getting a review on their platform for a local business they don't own but they aren't evil right?

They changed the requirement last year (not sure exactly when), so you do need a Google account now.

I think that is a good thing though. We see how many "fake" reviews there are now with accounts, imagine spammers and competitors being able to leave unlimited bad reviews with no account/identity needed.
Someone determined to leave a fake review won't be deterred by having to create a Google account.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom