James

Reaction score
There is a lot of talk on this forum about locksmiths and their immoral tactics but in the UK one thing I have seen with regards to under handed SEO tactics is driving schools.

As far as I can tell, and I have spend the last few weeks doing some really detailed analysis, there is no way you can fairly compete in this space, ironically, my tests have shown it is very easy to beat the people currently ranking sites:

• Using their own tactic back against them (they are not the best at what they are doing)
  • Targeting just one location and doing it the 100% white hat way (but you will only get traffic for the one location so in terms of traffic volume you are not even close

There is a company called Red Driving School in the UK and they have a page for each area, they have this under a “where to find us” guise which you can see here:
Code:
http://www.reddrivingschool.com/where-to-find-us/
reddrivingschool.com/where-to-find-us/

They have established a little authority for the site to that it can take a dose of low
quality spam links (say what you will about google improving or making things better, I know from my tests that the more high quality links a site has or the better its backlink profile the more it can tolerate low quality link and, where the low quality links are used in this manner they do help with ranking). They have then spammed exact match anchor links to the pages for each location:

Driving lessons London,
Driving lessons Sheffield,
Etc

In many cases they are now seen as such an authority that they appear in the #1 or #2 position which is even above the local listing.

They are getting SO much traffic from this. I doubt the driving school even understand the difference between the types of tactic in use and as they are in business for the money are likely delighted with the results.

I can easily outrank these guys using a similar site and a pbn as I have tested this on a small scale but as it stands the only way to really compete with this site would be to take the same approach as far as I can see it. It is far game as far as I am concerned and if someone was looking to outrank them I would suggest creating 1 “legit” site which is clean and designed to rank and last and a second site which would be created to take this more underhanded approach to get the traffic now so all bases are covered.

Is there any effective way to report thin content like these location pages which actually takes effect or is it a case for waiting for the algorithm to catch up?

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
djbaxter Google: City Landing Pages Can Be Doorway Pages & Against Guidelines Local Search 11
T Avoiding Doorway Pages/Creating Unique Local Content Local Search 0
M Are these doorway pages? multiple city and state pages? Local Search 11
whiz What's the Late-2018 verdict on doorway pages? Local Search 4
J Is this an example of spam and doorway pages? They have dozens of these yet rank Local Search 13
Ryan77 Creating Local SEO Content (Avoiding Doorway Pages) Local Search 17
L 25 Local Landing Page Principles to Avoid Google Doorway Problems - by Phil Multi-Location Issues 0
Linda Buquet 25 Local Landing Page Principles to Avoid Google Doorway Problems - by Phil Multi-Location Issues 0
Linda Buquet Is that a Local Doorway Page or a Local Landing Page? Nifty Tips from Nifty Lance Local Search 2
Linda Buquet Google Warns about Doorway Page Algo Update - Could Affect Local Google My Business & Google Maps 16
L Google Local: Multi-Location Doorways for Chains and Franchises Multi-Location Issues 2
Linda Buquet Google Local: Multi-Location Doorways for Chains and Franchises Multi-Location Issues 2
Nicole Basham Cons of Removing Second FB Page Profile/"Extra" Twitter account for Local SAB? Mobile & Social 1
E Issues with managing business pages on Facebook Citations 3
NickB-Tampa Should all the phone numbers on the landing page to our GMB listing be included in the structured data? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
NexstarNickR Wikipedia pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 4
N 54 city pages for small business website Local Search 7
ChristianRdz Redirecting a ranking page to another site Organic SEO 4
S What makes a great Home/Landing Page in Local? Local Search 6
sixthcitysarah Anyone know much on in-page PHP coded redirects? Websites, Software, and Security 1
Imperialpest Page Speed and Local / Ranking Question Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
A Facebook page rating keeps fluctuating Local Reviews 5
ChristianRdz Page Title & Meta Description On No-Index Pages Organic SEO 9
C Help with service page optimization Organic SEO 20
H For many queries, the home page shows up - not the targetted page Local Search 2
djbaxter Google Page Experience Signals for Ranking Apply Only to Mobile Organic SEO 0
H Home page and create map Google My Business & Google Maps 0
djbaxter Page experience: Now a new Google ranking factor Organic SEO 0
Ben Walsh Near me on page optimization Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 1
C About Us page Local Content 3
ladykal Is this bad practice? Multiple location landing pages but 1 office location Organic SEO 5
starter_70 Are GMB posts not showing on SERP or Maps page? Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Ben Walsh 2 location business onpage strategy, homepage vs service pages vs location pages Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 5
P Is it possible to create a second GMB page for a new business based at same address and landline? Multi-Location Issues 1
ashikjibon Can I create another GMB page by using the same Business name? (Different Location) Multi-Location Issues 4
P Creating Content Silo to improve Category Page (Best Practice Query) Local Content 1
MKubot Google Maps Embed on Landing Page - Helpful? Google Local 101 4
Ryan Steinolfson Practitioner's Page - Using a Cell Phone number for the listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 2
J Facebook Business limiting me to 50 stores under one page - can't get any help Local Search 1
Ben Walsh Is the reason this page is ranking above a better page because of DR? (ahrefs) Ask a LocalU Expert [PRIVATE] (LocalU) 6
A Our Google My Business got disabled for unknown reasons. Here is my page, any suggestions? (photo included) Google My Business & Google Maps 4
coachmarino Correct Map to Embed in Local Landing Pages Local Search 4
Caroline S Maps Results Moving Down The Page? Anyone Else Seeing This ? Google My Business & Google Maps 2
ganapathy Test Error: Page Load Timeout Forum Tech Support 2
georgebizpro What are your favorite on-page local SEO tactics? Local Search 2
Jens Multiple local pages for the same location? Local Content 1
RobertCarnitas Help Needed: Export/Copy List of Facebook Pages Managed Mobile & Social 4
H Home page versus service area pages Local Search 5
E Re-naming Facebook Location Pages for a Multi-Location Brand Citations 11