More threads by JohnS

JohnS

Reaction score
Who are the editors that create the editorial summaries in Google Maps?

Does anyone have any clues on what is the criteria used for determining which business listings in Google Maps receives an editorial summary?

Lastly, do you think the editorial summaries have a positive impact on a business' listing?

Thank you!

@JohnS, if you mean the excerpts of Google reviews, no person creates or curates those. Just an algorithm at Google.

If you're referring to the one-sentence summaries most commonly found for restaurants (often under the "Reserve" button), similar deal: Google seems to scrape the basic content from third-party sources, and then tweaks it a little bit. Again, I don't think a human has a hand in the process.

@Phil Rozek - thanks. I am referring to the one-sentence editorial summaries as described on a Google Biz support page. I am seeing the short summaries in categories other than restaurants.

I just wanted to confirm that it is still an algo creating those editorial summaries. Some of the short summaries I have seen appear off the mark as far at the business.

Hi @JohnS

I am unsure if you are looking to get one if you currently don't already have one for a location
But if one has been write by google that you feel is wrong you can request for it to be rewritten by the team at google , but you have to provide grounds as to why you want it change

I am unsure of the categories were changes can be requested for but I know it can be done for restaurants

@Chaddow Thank you. All my work for years is in the home decorating vertical which doesn't seem to get all the GMB attention some of the categories like restaurants seem to be getting. I will see what they say. They have been good about responding in the past, even if I don't like their answer.

Let us know if you hear anything. Based on what I've seen about the listings that have them, I assume it's businesses that get a lot of foot traffic.

@JoyHawkins - thank you. >>>businesses that get a lot of foot traffic<<< which I assume you are referring to users physically tracked going into the brick-and-mortar business, not page visits, clicks, etc.?

@JoyHawkins I just recently remembered this local search forum, which is a great resource.

Thank you!

John
PS - my avatar is my Xbox avatar that I have fun with. My son and his friends kick my butt playing.

@JoyHawkins - thank you. >>>businesses that get a lot of foot traffic<<< which I assume you are referring to users physically tracked going into the brick-and-mortar business, not page visits, clicks, etc.?

I'm assuming it could be both. Again, total speculation :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom