Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Hey all,

I wasn't sure where to throw this, since it's a CMS discussion.

I have a client using Expression Engine CMS, and we're considering migrating it over to WordPress. Before I do... I want to understand the pros and cons of using that particular CMS. It would be negligent to force them to re-platform without understanding both sides.

Has anyone ever used Expression Engine or have any opinions one way or another? I also posted this question on Twitter to see if I can get any feedback. Would love to chat. Also willing to barter my time to help with one of your client issues if you're able to help me with this. :)

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score

Eric Rohrback

Reaction score
Thanks Tim.

I definitely have concerns about using a CMS like this, but I want to understand both sides before making a decision for a big change. WordPress is what we primarily develop in, but that's not to say WordPress is the best CMS of all time. I'm more comfortable with it, but we also need to consider the cost of replatforming.

What have you seen specifically with ExpressionEngine (pros or cons) that would help you make a decision to switch? Have you ever moved someone from a niche CMS to WordPress, and for what reasons? I'm not as concerned about licensing fees or upkeep because they have someone dedicated to doing that already.

The person making updates / maintaining is a relative of the client (who also built this whole thing). I'm trying to tread lightly and use a fact-based argument giving pros and cons of both sides when bringing it up with them. I don't want to damage relationships, and I think the relative could cause problems if we shift away from the platform he built... you know how these things go when someone is attached to a project.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Peter Hill Express Update cost Citations 7
TalkingMonkey Google Smart (AdWords Express) questions Paid Search and Local Service Ads 5
Durandl Adwords Express Vs Classic Adwords for small business Paid Search and Local Service Ads 2
pbarnhart AdWords Express - Need Your Experiences (good and bad) Paid Search and Local Service Ads 7
yunust Free Express Update? Local Search 3
James Watt Business owner survey on adwords express results vs pure adwords Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Dustybones Where does Express Update get their data from? Local Search 11
JoyHawkins Gold Stars without Using AdWords Express Local Reviews 9
shondarogers Advice on Advertising on Yelp vs Google Express Local Search 5
Jason Rogers "business information provided by american express" Local Search 6
Colan Nielsen Express Update Coming to Canada Local Search 8
K Express Update -- trouble updating our listing Google Local 101 3
TonyIsSocial What is the + for in AdWords Express Search Phrases Marketing 2
Amber Robinson Express Update - Has this happened to you? Citations 4
S Weird "Scare Tactic" Email From Google Adwords Express? Google My Business & Google Maps 7
Linda Buquet Google Launches Adwords Express Plus for Local Google My Business & Google Maps 1
Linda Buquet Get a FREE Month of Google AdWords Express Ads - Happy Holidays Google My Business & Google Maps 3
F Laziness as an engine of progress Recycle Bin 1
M HELP: Content Discovery Engines Local SEO Job Board 0
P The EU - GDPR, Right To Be Forgotten - wants to control search engines globally Recycle Bin 0
djbaxter The EU - GDPR, Right To Be Forgotten - wants to control search engines globally Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 5
djbaxter The Google Backlash: Ahrefs to start new search engine Organic SEO 12
PaulSteinbrueck Local search engine market share? Local Search 9
Garrett Sussman Reverse Engineering The Perfect Online Reviews Local Reviews 2
Linda Buquet 9 Local SEO Experts Share 1 Secret to Local Search Success - Search Engine Journal Consultant's Corner 2
James Watt Questionable Advice on recent Search Engine Land article Google My Business & Google Maps 20
djbaxter How Google Works: A Google Ranking Engineer's Story Organic SEO 0
Linda Buquet Rank High in Organic but Not in Local? Joy's Post at Search Engine Land Google My Business & Google Maps 16
Tim Colling Is JSON-LD supported by most of the major search engines now? Local Search 0
Dustybones MOZ 2015 Search Engine Ranking Factors Study Released Local Search 4
B Ben's Map, the ultimate local search engine? Recycle Bin 0
Dustybones The Google Scoring Engine: Assigning Rank to Social Signals and the People that Share Local Search 3
L Rev Up The Content Marketing Engine To Achieve Local Liftoff - Chris Silver Smith Local Content 1
Linda Buquet Rev Up The Content Marketing Engine To Achieve Local Liftoff - Chris Silver Smith Local Content 1
Linda Buquet 7 Under-the-Hood SEO Optimization Techniques | Neil Patel - Search Engine Journal Organic SEO 0
HurricaneK8 Open Source Search Engine-- Is it possible? What would it look like? Good/Bad? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
Linda Buquet Google Spam Patent Reverse Engineers Local Listings Google My Business & Google Maps 4
Linda Buquet Creating Custom Google Maps with Google Maps Engine Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Linda Buquet Reverse Engineering the Google Local Algo Local Search 3
R Longtail Results VS Search Engine Location Local Search 1
Michael S. Doran Search engine listing mail verifications Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Reverse Engineering the Local SEO Algo to Steal #1 Local Search 4
Linda Buquet HOT! Track SERP Changes & Reverse Engineer Algo with Update Scanner Local SEO Tools & Software 7
I Looking for the right SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING Recycle Bin 0
arob A rob in Toronto loves using speciality search engines Introduce Yourself - We're Friendly 2
D Write/delete/create information from (CMS/ERP/Google App Script) TO GMB API : in both ways Local SEO Tools & Software 1
Mike Wilton What's On Your SEO Friendly CMS Wishlist? Local SEO Tools & Software 1