Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I was watching a fun Reddit AMA unfold with Andrew Shotland yesterday.
He answered lots of Qs and dropped a ton of info.

<a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/bigseo/comments/26pi4c/hey_im_andrew_shotland_of_localseoguidecom/">Hey I'm Andrew Shotland of LocalSEOGuide.com. Dealing with some tricky Panda 4.0 stuff today but WTF AMA</a>

Here are a couple of choice snippets!

You all know how I love Dr SEO analogies! So you know I'd pick up on this one! :p

QUESTION: How do you personally define SEO? To your colleagues? To the C-Suite? To your mom?

"I typically use a doctor analogy.

If you are having a problem, SEO (or perhaps more precisely a SEO consultant) is like a doctor diagnosing issues and prescribing tactics/strategies to cure the patient, or to at least get the patient stable. I particularly like using "House" as an analogy because sometimes we think it's lupus and it turns out to not be lupus.

If you are not having a problem, then the SEO consultant is more like a "doctor" for a high performance athlete. We are working on techniques that can take you from ordinary performance to extraordinary performance. Of course those kinds of projects are typically more fun than dealing with sites that are in trouble."

QUESTION: How do you scale Geo Linkbait?

"I am sure there are other SEOs who can better answer that. I don't try to scale this kind of stuff because I feel that "scaling" is a euphemism for "making things crappier". I prefer to do custom work for clients that I think will be effective.

Of course, if you buy me a few beers we can probably come up with 100 great Geolinkbait ideas in an hour. It ain't rocket science."

But in addition to the witty answers there was some really good info too.
So head over, read up and wise up! :D

Reaction score
one of my favorites:

"What are the top three frustrating/annoying things when it comes to ranking a site for local? I'm assuming that dealing with duplicate listings is high on the list... So what else haunts your dreams?"

1. Getting the client to do anything
  2. Getting the client to do something
  3. Getting the client to...

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Oh ya, I liked that one too Justin.

And that's a dynamite interview question too!

"So what else haunts your dreams?"

Bet we'd get a lot of good answers to that Q from pros here! :p

Scott Rawlins

Solutions
Reaction score
Could not agree more with that answer! I am constantly muttering to myself after talking with some clients...."help me help you!"

It can be so frustrating some times. :mad:

Dave

Reaction score
Good stuff. Fun comments. Plus he got a link.

Andrew is linky dinky smart ;)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Linda Buquet OK Google... Searches Increasing - This is Gonna be Fun! Google My Business & Google Maps 0
Margaret Ornsby Fun look at citations from a Star Wars perspective Citations 3
Linda Buquet Fun Online Christmas Games Google - For Your Kids OR the Kid in You Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
Linda Buquet Fun Tuesday Time Eater - Play Google Feud (Based on Google Suggest) Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 0
Linda Buquet Friday Fun Cartoon - Where is Matt Cutts? Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 1
Dustybones Having fun with Google Tricks Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 4
Dustybones Some Friday Fun Break Room: Chat and Off Topic 2
Linda Buquet Local SEO is Awesome! Fun in Local Legoland with Andrew Shotland Local Search 0
Andrew Forster Google+ Local - Adster pokes fun at Google :P Local Search 10
JohnnyM Changing Information in citations Google Local 101 1
M Google says information isn't the same between two listings Google Duplicates & Merges 1
ganapathy Default Google Ads Extension Phone Number (Advanced information section) in GMB Listing Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Benjamin "Review your business information..." NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 1
Andrew Scherer Information Gain Score Local Content 0
lkimball GMB Automatically Swapping Location Information Multi-Location Issues 8
P Service Page vs Information Page Local Content 5
O User edited our list with wrong information Google My Business & Google Maps 2
D Write/delete/create information from (CMS/ERP/Google App Script) TO GMB API : in both ways Local SEO Tools & Software 1
J Information alongside NAPs NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
J Information alongside NAPs NAP, Categories, Dashboard Data 5
S Request for Information regarding Traffic Flow from google maps Google My Business & Google Maps 2
Ben Bowen GMB "Advanced Information" Labels? Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Yan Gilbert Dealing with New Clients - Accessing Information Question Consultant's Corner 1
Chris_Gregory Penguin 4.0 Information + Observations Local Search 1
Linda Buquet Mobile Overtakes Desktop for Local Information Lookups - Greg Sterling Mobile & Social 1
Amber Robinson Refining the Process of gathering Local information Consultant's Corner 12
Jason Rogers "business information provided by american express" Local Search 6
freerunr Prompt to review information Google My Business & Google Maps 3
Linda Buquet STAY INFORMED - How to Subscribe & Search the Forum Forum Tech Support 1
M Member contact information formatting for association sites Local Search 2
D What did Google just do to accessing all your information for a business acct? Help Google My Business & Google Maps 10
Mike Wilton The information provided isn't eligible for verification... Help & Support for Google Local 3
G How can GOOGLE REMOVE / DELETE ALL Information about my Personal Data and Address ? Recycle Bin 1
Susan Walsh Where do we report incorrect information and duplicate listing? Help & Support for Google Local 6
rossicone Information Gone in Dashboard Help & Support for Google Local 30
djbaxter David's Contact Information Admin Stuff 1
Linda Buquet Local Search Forum RSS Feeds - Stay Informed! Forum Tech Support 1
Linda Buquet Twitter, Reddit and Many Other Sites Down due to Major DDoS Attack Marketing 3